The Student Room Group

Blackrock AC

Anybody have any experience with a Blackrock Intern AC?

Information on their recruitment process is suprisingly thin on the ground, I'd appreciate any help or stories people can offer. PM if necessary.

Scroll to see replies

Which division?
Reply 2
Aladdin & Technology, which seems to come up less often than portfolio management etc.
Original post by fargo89
Aladdin & Technology, which seems to come up less often than portfolio management etc.

Had mine for GCG. Was 2 interviews - both mainly competency based with some markets questions. Really friendly people; also had a group exercise which is pretty basic. Heard 2 days later
Had one for PMG, not sure how similar yours will be.

We had four parts to it. The first is a group exercise, where you have three individuals you have to suggest blackrock funds that they should invest in. They are looking for thoughts about risk profiles, clients needs, commercial knowledge etc. as well as teamwork, obviously.

The second and third are partner interviews. They are what you would expect, why blackrock, why the position, commercial awareness, brain teasers, questions on your CV and covering letter, general competency etc.

The fourth was a stock pitch. We were given four different mining companies and a booklet with commodities information and recent news stories. Then we had to recommend one of the companies to a portfolio manager.

Like I said, I have no idea if any of that stuff will come up, but hope it helps
Reply 5
Original post by thegaffer91
Had one for PMG, not sure how similar yours will be.

We had four parts to it. The first is a group exercise, where you have three individuals you have to suggest blackrock funds that they should invest in. They are looking for thoughts about risk profiles, clients needs, commercial knowledge etc. as well as teamwork, obviously.

The second and third are partner interviews. They are what you would expect, why blackrock, why the position, commercial awareness, brain teasers, questions on your CV and covering letter, general competency etc.

The fourth was a stock pitch. We were given four different mining companies and a booklet with commodities information and recent news stories. Then we had to recommend one of the companies to a portfolio manager.

Like I said, I have no idea if any of that stuff will come up, but hope it helps

Thanks a lot. I have no background in Finance or IT at all so I'm cacking myself a bit. I suppose they wouldn't invite me if they didn't think I could handle it so we'll see. Cramming today though...
Original post by fargo89
Thanks a lot. I have no background in Finance or IT at all so I'm cacking myself a bit. I suppose they wouldn't invite me if they didn't think I could handle it so we'll see. Cramming today though...

There were 4 in my AC, I know at least 2 got offers
Reply 7
Original post by robotic_dancer

Did you?
Had mine for GCG. Was 2 interviews - both mainly competency based with some markets questions. Really friendly people; also had a group exercise which is pretty basic. Heard 2 days later

What sort of starting salary is GCG and role?...
Its a sort of sales role isnt it?...What would you rather go for at this stage of your career...GCG at Blackrock or PWM at a BB (say..Merrill Lynch)
Original post by krisstassen
Its a sort of sales role isnt it?...What would you rather go for at this stage of your career...GCG at Blackrock or PWM at a BB (say..Merrill Lynch)

Intern salary is 22.5k, not sure what the grad salary is. I am interning in the Institutional Group within GCG, so dealing with pension funds, insurance funds etc.

GCG is working with clients; so similar to sales. It is about getting clients to use BlackRock's funds etc.

BlackRock is the biggest (possibly best) in the business, why would you want to work for a lesser company?
Original post by fargo89
Did you?

Yes, received an offer - looking forward to starting in the summer
Reply 11
Yes, received an offer - looking forward to starting in the summer

Congratulations!
Original post by krisstassen

Also, BlackRock bought Merrill's PWM business
Original post by fargo89
Congratulations!

Cheers mate, let me know how you get on!
Reply 14

Congrats on the offer! What Unis/courses were represented at the AC?

Any idea how big the GCG summer intern intake is?

Cheers
Original post by cfcbradders

Cheers

5 were in my AC all from top universities, mostly studying economics or finance.

Not sure on the last question however
Reply 16
Original post by cfcbradders

Cheers

The people at mine were from LSE, Warwick, Edinburgh and somewhere in Sweden.
Original post by fargo89
The people at mine were from LSE, Warwick, Edinburgh and somewhere in Sweden.

How did it go? When was it? etc etc
Reply 18
How did it go? When was it? etc etc

Had the assessment centre on Monday and was offered a position yesterday, so thanks for the help!
Original post by fargo89
Had the assessment centre on Monday and was offered a position yesterday, so thanks for the help!

Nice one mate, look forward to meeting you and the rest over the summer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending