The Student Room Group

MSc Health Psychology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by *Elizabeth*
Hey,

Be careful though- the MSc in Clinical and Health Psychology is not accredited by the BPS.

Although the Manchester website states
' This programme is designed for students considering a career in clinical or health psychology'

If you're potentially interested in a career as a health psychologist (or thinking about health psychology as a plan b option), you will need to complete a BPS accredited MSc in Health Psychology.

http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac?frmAction=results&Course_IDs_Selected=&CourseType=PG&Search_Type=NC&OrderBy=NAME&OrderDir=ASC&INSTITUTION_NUMBER=&TRAINING_COMMITTEE=DHPT

Looks like a good MSc though if considering clinical psychology as a career option

Thats the only issue - its not accredited but the MSc itself from what it says, sounds good for clinical :s-smilie: don't know what to do.

I've also been looking at distance learning ones but they don't come across half as interesting - what do you think of them?
Original post by DeepStar
Thats the only issue - its not accredited but the MSc itself from what it says, sounds good for clinical :s-smilie: don't know what to do.

I've also been looking at distance learning ones but they don't come across half as interesting - what do you think of them?

I completed the first three modules of the Newman clinical psychology course....

http://www.newman.ac.uk/courses/higher_degree/?pg=647

I really enjoyed the course, but was unable to afford to stay on and was also starting my Health Psy doctorate this September so I couldn't really justify continuing on for the PGDip, so I left with the postgraduate certificate.

It's very popular with aspiring clinical psychologists and places get snapped up very quickly.
Reply 22
I completed the first three modules of the Newman clinical psychology course....

http://www.newman.ac.uk/courses/higher_degree/?pg=647

I really enjoyed the course, but was unable to afford to stay on and was also starting my Health Psy doctorate this September so I couldn't really justify continuing on for the PGDip, so I left with the postgraduate certificate.

It's very popular with aspiring clinical psychologists and places get snapped up very quickly.

It sounds really good and has the option of doing it online. But doesn't mention anything about BPS and the ESRC accrediting? I can't have it all in one I suppose.

I feel like I should have applied for an MSc this year but I was so into my job that I thought I could wait but now I feel like I miss the studying :s-smilie: lol thank for the link btw.
Original post by DeepStar
It sounds really good and has the option of doing it online. But doesn't mention anything about BPS and the ESRC accrediting? I can't have it all in one I suppose.

I feel like I should have applied for an MSc this year but I was so into my job that I thought I could wait but now I feel like I miss the studying :s-smilie: lol thank for the link btw.

The Newman course is not accredited by the BPS or the ESRC. I really enjoyed it :smile: We travelled to birmingham for the end of each term (3 times per academic year) for examinations. All lectures, discussion groups and submission of work was done online.

Someone else on another forum was asking me about BPS and ESRC accredited MSc in Health Psychology.......

The link below lists ESRC recognised MScs..........

http://www.esrc.ac.uk/_images/Recognised_outlets_by_subject_tcm8-2665.pdf

Bath, Surrey, Sussex and Kent offer MScs in Health Psychology accredited by the BPS and ESRC- but I think Kent no longer offer an MSc in Health Psychology.

These days, you won't find a BPS accredited MSc in Clinical Psychology only BPS accredited doctorates in clinical psychology.

But if you look at the above website, Bangor and Birmingham offer ESRC recognised master qualifications in clinical psychology.

I think the ESRC recognised bit probably only matters if you're thinking about potentially moving onto to do a PhD or would like strong research methods training. Also, in terms of my experience, if thinking about a PhD, admission tutors/supervisors may insist on a research methods MSc prior to PhD study.

Best of luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
The Newman course is not accredited by the BPS or the ESRC. I really enjoyed it :smile: We travelled to birmingham for the end of each term (3 times per academic year) for examinations. All lectures, discussion groups and submission of work was done online.

Someone else on another forum was asking me about BPS and ESRC accredited MSc in Health Psychology.......

The link below lists ESRC recognised MScs..........

http://www.esrc.ac.uk/_images/Recognised_outlets_by_subject_tcm8-2665.pdf

Bath, Surrey, Sussex and Kent offer MScs in Health Psychology accredited by the BPS and ESRC- but I think Kent no longer offer an MSc in Health Psychology.

These days, you won't find a BPS accredited MSc in Clinical Psychology only BPS accredited doctorates in clinical psychology.

But if you look at the above website, Bangor and Birmingham offer ESRC recognised master qualifications in clinical psychology.

I think the ESRC recognised bit probably only matters if you're thinking about potentially moving onto to do a PhD or would like strong research methods training. Also, in terms of my experience, if thinking about a PhD, admission tutors/supervisors may insist on a research methods MSc prior to PhD study.

Best of luck :smile:

The doctorate is what I'm after - so I think the ESRC recognition might be beneficial. I probably need the strong research methods though as since my degree its the only part that I've not moved forward in.

Thank for the information!! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
I've just got onto MSc health psychology at Staffordshire. Is it easy to get a job in this field though?
Original post by ai91
I've just got onto MSc health psychology at Staffordshire. Is it easy to get a job in this field though?

For me , yes :smile: Staffs is a great course (especially as it has the stage 2 doctorate).

After finishing my PhD, I'm a first year trainee HP on the professional health psy doctorate at a london uni. Feel free to post questions if it helps :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by HealthPsychology
For me , yes :smile: Staffs is a great course (especially as it has the stage 2 doctorate).

After finishing my PhD, I'm a first year trainee HP on the professional health psy doctorate at a london uni. Feel free to post questions if it helps :smile:

thank you for your reply, sounds good, many work within smoking cessation and research assistant post, but I hope to work within clinical psych or health psyc with a 1-to-1 aspect to the job. I've been accepted into John Moores to and considering to apply to KCL. How have you found this field? How was the application for stage 2?
Original post by HealthPsychology

Would you say its easier to get a job as a health psychologist than a clinical?

Quick Reply

Latest