The Student Room Group

About the reference

There might be a thread about this somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

My problem is, that I need someone to write my reference (obviously). Now, I finished school last May so I'm not currently in school but I can still ask my old teachers.
I'm applying for subjects like biology and something related to the social sciences (most likely, I haven't actually decided the specific subjects yet).
So I asked one of my old teachers about this and he recommended that I contact either the Economics teacher or the Biology teacher as they are closest to the subjects I'm interested in. However, I'm leaning a lot more toward biology than social subjects so it seems that a biology teacher would be the best choice, but the problem is that neither of the two biology teachers are very good in english and they don't have much experience, if any, in writing a reference.

So, I would prefer to ask the economics teacher, but would it be better to have a reference from a teacher of the subject I'm applying for?
And how important is the referee's level of english and/or (lack of) experience in writing a reference?
Reply 1
Well, my referee doesnt know english at all. So she wrote my reference in another language and then I translated it.
Reply 2
write it yourself :smile: make yourself look GOOOOOOD lol, good luck
Reply 3
indifferens
Well, my referee doesnt know english at all. So she wrote my reference in another language and then I translated it.

Is that allowed? Or.. how much can you in a way 'edit' what the referee says?
Reply 4
starya
Is that allowed? Or.. how much can you in a way 'edit' what the referee says?

Well, I didnt have another choice. I didnt edit, I translated. I had a nice reference.
Reply 5
I don't know if you are allowed to edit, but it seems to me if you don't change the sense it shouldn't matter.
I had to change some of mine (ssh don't tell ucas!) because she'd spelt my name wrong and hadn't put in paragraphs or good punctuation. She'd never written one before and only used about a fifth of the space available :eek: given 1/2 a chance she'd've written it all in mathematical symbols
Reply 6
gianthead
I don't know if you are allowed to edit, but it seems to me if you don't change the sense it shouldn't matter.
I had to change some of mine (ssh don't tell ucas!) because she'd spelt my name wrong and hadn't put in paragraphs or good punctuation. She'd never written one before and only used about a fifth of the space available :eek: given 1/2 a chance she'd've written it all in mathematical symbols

I dont think it is really important to use all 4000 symbols. Short reference is also a reference :smile:
Reply 7
I wasn't saying that you have to use 4000, but 1000 would've been nice, after all, an admissions tutor might read something into the fact your own teacher can't find much to say about you. still it was a nice ref :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you for all the replies.

I have two more questions:
In the online application, is it possible for me to see and edit the reference before it's sent off? And by edit I mean spell check, not actually change the meaning.

Also, does it matter what subject the referee teaches in relation to the subject I'm applying for?
Reply 9
Are you applying as an individual? If so, you personally will have to copy and paste the reference in there.

If you're applying through school (you had to enter a "buzzword" at the start) then you don't get to see the reference on your bit of the application form.

Latest

Trending

Trending