The Student Room Group

PGCE Experience

I've been looking on this forum for weeks regarding the ammount of experience pre-PGCE applicants have, but I've not come across anything that answers my question specifically :frown:

I was wondering how much experience people who applied, and have had an interview/offer for a 2011 PGCE actually have? I'm applying for a PGCE in Primary for 2012 entry and would be grateful if anyone could share their experiences with me :biggrin: :biggrin:

Has anyone recived a place with the standard ammount of experience?

x
Reply 1
Original post by dropdead__x
I've been looking on this forum for weeks regarding the ammount of experience pre-PGCE applicants have, but I've not come across anything that answers my question specifically :frown:

I was wondering how much experience people who applied, and have had an interview/offer for a 2011 PGCE actually have? I'm applying for a PGCE in Primary for 2012 entry and would be grateful if anyone could share their experiences with me :biggrin: :biggrin:

Has anyone recived a place with the standard ammount of experience?

x

I had 2 full weeks in two separate schools, spending at least one day in every year group (FS2-year 6), and three years of spending one day a week in a class in a local school. I also managed a homework club for two years. I think it's important to realise that what matters is how much you get out of your experience, rather than the amount that you have. There are people on my course who were TAs for years, and some with the bare minimum required.
Reply 2
Thanks for that
x
I am secondary History, but I have been work as a cover supervisor/classroom support for a year and worked as a teaching assistant for young people with Autism for 3 months previously.

I also have quite a lot of experience working with kids at summer camps and teaching horseback.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 4
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi, I know two people who got into PGCEs in the last few years and they both had around 18 - 24 months of work as a teaching assistant. One also spent a few years working as a young leader at Brownies.
Neither of them went straight into it from their undergraduate degree though.
Reply 6
Thanks for all your replies, they have been very insightful.
I've only just realised I wanted to take my career in teaching further, so have got the summer to volunteer at a couple of schools and holiday projects, but really worried this won't be enough due to the competitive nature of the course.
However, I am wondering if the rise in fees in 2012 will put some applicants off, reducing the ratio of applicants to places...

x
Reply 7
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I have just accepted an offer based on 3 weeks experience completed 2 years ago, so sometimes you dont really need a lot, once you get to interview a lot goes on your personality
Reply 9
Original post by dom99
I have just accepted an offer based on 3 weeks experience completed 2 years ago, so sometimes you dont really need a lot, once you get to interview a lot goes on your personality

awesome. well done x
Original post by dropdead__x
Thanks for all your replies, they have been very insightful.
I've only just realised I wanted to take my career in teaching further, so have got the summer to volunteer at a couple of schools and holiday projects, but really worried this won't be enough due to the competitive nature of the course.
However, I am wondering if the rise in fees in 2012 will put some applicants off, reducing the ratio of applicants to places...

x

I was in the same situation as you. I got 2 weeks after after uni broke up before the schools broke up in a reception and really reflected on that throughout my application. I also told them how I had made plans to go back to the same school and work in the year 5 and 6 classes this year (Which I am doing).

This got me an offer from first choice :smile:
Just make sure you gain lots from a bit of experience, refelect on it and relate to questions they ask in the interview :smile:
Reply 11
5 days, 3 in KS1 and 2 in KS2. But I do have 6 months teaching experience in Thailand. It's not necessary to have huge amounts though, check with the uni you're interested in. Some say 1 week, some say 2.
Reply 12
Ahh this has worried me with how little I have. I have written to my old secondary school, my siblings' secondary school, and my old sixth form school about observing lessons etc. My 6th form invited me to a pre-PGCE day where I observed the head of English teach a year 10 class for an hour and he invited me back personally as I got on well with his class but he told me to email the lady in charge of the PGCE day. I emailed her an she said she forwarded my email on- 2 follow up emails later (over 2 months) and still no reply! No reply from the other schools either!

I do have experience in tutoring English to and working with a 15 year old autistic girl for 9 months by the time I apply; Experience of helping a blind head of humanities and world politics at an international A level college with typing up essay plans, lesson plans, admin, physically marking on essays what he dictates - so I am aware of that side of things too;and, I am a peer mentor to first year undergraduates at my University. I have just arranged a few full days of observation at the 6th form college where I help the HOD.

I am applying this September for 2012 entry on Secondary English. Now I'm petrified I don't have enough classroom experience.
Reply 13
Original post by Acacia
Ahh this has worried me with how little I have. I have written to my old secondary school, my siblings' secondary school, and my old sixth form school about observing lessons etc. My 6th form invited me to a pre-PGCE day where I observed the head of English teach a year 10 class for an hour and he invited me back personally as I got on well with his class but he told me to email the lady in charge of the PGCE day. I emailed her an she said she forwarded my email on- 2 follow up emails later (over 2 months) and still no reply! No reply from the other schools either!

I do have experience in tutoring English to and working with a 15 year old autistic girl for 9 months by the time I apply; Experience of helping a blind head of humanities and world politics at an international A level college with typing up essay plans, lesson plans, admin, physically marking on essays what he dictates - so I am aware of that side of things too;and, I am a peer mentor to first year undergraduates at my University. I have just arranged a few full days of observation at the 6th form college where I help the HOD.

I am applying this September for 2012 entry on Secondary English. Now I'm petrified I don't have enough classroom experience.

Your problem is not your lack of experience, which sounds great to be honest, but getting it down on paper in a clear and coherent manner; your first paragraph was 114 words long yet, as far as I can see, you only spent an hour in the classroom. The PGCE programme leader wants facts. They do not want to read about your failed attempts to get experience. It is far easier to write on your personal statement that you have experience in two secondary schools, a further-education college and a university, for example, and then briefly outline the type of experiences they were and, if you have the space, what you learned from them. They will always ask you to expand upon your experiences in the interview anyway so it is about finding the right balance in terms of covering everything and learning which experiences to emphasise.

A word of warning: I would avoid getting classroom experience in your old school. I know a lot of PGCE providers who do not look upon it favourably (perhaps not explicitly, but still), because it is not real experience; it is a sanitized environment, so to speak.

It does not sound like you have anything to worry about though. :smile:
I'd say the more experience the better, it shows your desire to teach if you actually get into the classroom. I think I totalled 10 weeks over a few years but as others have mentioned, some people who apply are TAs and have been for years. Perhaps the most important thing is being able to show what you have learnt from your time in the classroom. Make sure you're as active as possible whilst you're there...most schools love the extra help :smile:
Reply 15
The most important thing to show in your personal statement and interview is what you have gained/learnt from your experience, rather than having a lot of it. They want to know what good things you have observed to take into your own teaching, things you think could have bee done in a better/different way, techniques and strategies the teachers used to ensure the learning is accessible to every child, behaviour management etc. I got onto a primary PGCE with only 1 week's classroom experience, but I made loads of notes while I was there and showed how much I'd learnt from it in my application.

Your experience of helping with lesson planning and the more 'boring' side of teaching is also a huge plus as most people will not have that level of insight into the job, and the uni wants to see you will stick it out and have realistic expectations of teaching, so highlight this in your application.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending