The Student Room Group

BA Graphic Design (UEL or Havering)?

Has anyone been to either of these for Graphic Design? Both have accepted though I’m not sure which will give me the best start as a Graphic Designer. Havering is lesser known and I’m a little worried future employers will not recognise the college, would this affect my chances even if I have a strong portfolio?

University of East London (Docklands)
Campus: Large and noise, fair amount of resources
Lecturers: Little experience, interviewer made snide remark about the others who was going to give the "bad news".
My main worry is the Lecturers; I have heard the lecturers don’t put in too much effort to help. The location is somewhere new and more of a uni lifestyle which is great.

Havering College of Further and Higher Education (Essex)
Campus: Small, enough resources
Lecturers: Get on very well, very friendly and know some of the tutors
I went to Havering for my college course for Art & Design, I wasn’t happy with the graphics resources and tutors. Not so much a Uni lifestyle though comfortable environment.

I’m not interested in partying or a fun lifestyle, I’m going to focus and want to get the best possible results. I’m edging towards Havering as I’m very independent though being pretty much un heard of the most is a little worrying. Any advice weclome, I tried to condence this as much as I can.
Reply 1
Let me put it this way, UEL teaches out of nothing. Because most of the briefs given are irrelevant, lecturers have mixed opinions about your work, nothing is clear, lecturers are vague, which there's no goal in how you would improve your skills or how you would put your skills into practice. I may have not done any graphic design before starting university, however, its a scam because they told me that I'm paying £9000 and we're wasting our time but then contradict to they're wasting OUR time.
Reply 2
Speaking for University of East London and as the course leader since 2014-2015. I think what we offer on the Graphic Design course is a forward thinking and really relevant course. From the basics key skills such as Idea generation, Typography, Layout, Web design, Photography, Narrative using film or other methods, through to an understanding and engagement with VR and AR, Book design, 3d Print, Art Direction, 16mm film and even things like Bronze casting if the need arises.

We are really interested in a wide variation of voice and aim to support student’s direction. We are not interested in every student becoming the same, but install key skills which will allow you to develop your practice and your direction. This has resulted in our students being placed into the Royal College of Art on several courses such as 'Information Experience Design', 'Visual Communication' and 'Vehicle Design'. Along with Jobs at various design and Architectural practices such as Foster + Partners. We also have a new scheme which enables students to start their own practice once they have graduated. 'Shepherd & Gall' are based on our campus in the Business Incubator Knowledge Dock and are carving out a good position in the industry.

Our Lecturers are world class practicing professionals working in and around London. Between us, our credits include British Airways Visual Identity, VFX on several films including the Harry Potter series, Book design for the Barbican, Camden Arts Centre, Henry Moore Institute, Serpentine Gallery, Tate and Whitechapel Gallery. Type design for Various publications such as Matisse: The Cut-Outs. Being part of the team that designed and built OTOTO which made the permanent collection at MoMA in NYC. We have a film maker who holds a D&AD award for directing. He is currently working on the production of Ghost in the Shell with Scarlett Johansson. Among his other work is the Innocent drinks adverts, work for SONY and music videos for VV Brown.

We aim to push students to achieve the very best they can and give a spring board for further success. We really do care about our students. Our NSS score for overall student satisfaction is 88% for 2015-2016 and we aim to improve every year.

Find us at uelgoingpublic.co.uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending