The Student Room Group

Edexcel Drama and Theatre Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ojpearson
OK guys this is my understanding so far of what to cover in each part of drama exam:

SECTION A: Woyzeck.

a) Two ways performers might explore stage direction / transition (4)
b) Three rehearsal techniques to explore an exchange / relationship (6)
c) How I intend to explore a particular aspect (giving reasons + examples) (10)

SECTION B: Woyzeck.

a) Approach to the play understanding historical context, or two design elements. (30)

SECTION C: Shakespeare.

a) Compare an aspect of the production with its original performance. (30)

On the Shakespeare topic you get two choices of questions but comparing it with its original context mostly comes up.

Hope that all helps, GOOD LUCK everyone :smile:

With section A (a) - will this always be transition? Or could it be rehearsal techniques too?
Reply 81
Original post by xoxjubixox
With section A (a) - will this always be transition? Or could it be rehearsal techniques too?

Do bear in mind that I'm just a student, but I assume it will be a stage direction or transition - we always have to talk about rehearsal tecniques in A (b) but that doesn't stop you from talking about rehearsal techniques in A (a) either. :smile:
Original post by ojpearson
Do bear in mind that I'm just a student, but I assume it will be a stage direction or transition - we always have to talk about rehearsal tecniques in A (b) but that doesn't stop you from talking about rehearsal techniques in A (a) either. :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile: God, I do hate A levels!
We were given 5 aspects to think about for Section B:
1) Historical context
2) One of the play's main themes
3) Light and sound
4) Two design aspects
5) Intended audience
So we had to prepare essays for each of those which have all come up before and been repeated. (including the old specification questions of course I think these are likely to be brought up again :biggrin:
Reply 84
Original post by almbrown
Has anyone got any tips on how to achieve high marks on the Lysistrata exam?

I am so stuck it's in a week and I got 30/80 on the mock my teacher is a total cow who in her words- 'wont hold any lessons during study leave as she is not willing to give up her personal time'

No idea what to do and I'm in the biggest panic ever!!! I need an A for my Uni :frown:

I'm in exactly the same situation - haven't done a mock but would love some tips for an A. :smile:
Reply 85
Does anyone have any images of the first groups of women to wear trousers in fashion?
I'm trying to find images on the internet I can sketch into my script but I can't find anything =/
I think i've been told that the rehearsal techniques we use in section A don't have to correspond with our concept.
So my concept is artaudian but I've been speaking about stanislavski techniques in section A?
Can we do this?? Because I don't know any Artaudian techniques!
Also, I'm rubbish with lighting,
Does anybody know how I could use lighting to show that a particular scene is a fanasy and not real?
Would much appreciate any advice! Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wanttobeasucess
I think i've been told that the rehearsal techniques we use in section A don't have to correspond with our concept.
So my concept is artaudian but I've been speaking about stanislavski techniques in section A?

Yes! They're general rehearsal techniques as far as I'm aware. Don't have to relate to your concept :smile:
Reply 89
Does anyone have two ideas for rehersal techniques, with regards to the entrance of characters?

(My exam's on Woyzeck)
(edited 12 years ago)
Im currently annotating my Woyzeck script for the exam, and am trying to get 3 rehearsal techniques for each of these headings on every scene;

Transitions
Entrances
Essential Impact
Character Relationships
Sung Sections
Stage Direction

And im starting to get stuck for ideas. I've already got improvised off text activities with certain 'rules', tableaux, trust excersises, running around stage before entering a scene, emotion memory, Actioning the text, mirroring, hot seating, removing vocals from a scene, physicality, changing emotion with music, using rhythm to create movement, focusing on Vocal delivery - range, tone etc, the string game, shoaling/flocking, proxemics, using a language barrier, role reversal and circles of attention.

I can't think of any more! help ):
Reply 91
Think about it- you have your annotated scripts, notes on the live theatre performance and labelled diagrams, so what could possibly go wrong?!
I did this exam last year and my only regret was not leaving enough time for Section C... I got a bit carried away with section A. Even so, despite writing under two paragraphs for section C, I managed to get a B overall. Thankkk the lord for low grade boundaries!

If you're anxious and in panic mode you will inevitably under perform, so just stay calm and embrace the fact that you will never have to sit a stupid drama exam again. (Unless you have a passion for theatre and decide to read Drama at university- If so, you are definitely strange)

All three sections are marked by different examiners, so for section A, they won't really be to interested about your concept, unless you say how the rehearsal techniques link in with your concept. They are more focused on how well you know rehearsal techniques. That's all - Thats what my teacher told me.
Original post by JoshCampell
All three sections are marked by different examiners, so for section A, they won't really be to interested about your concept, unless you say how the rehearsal techniques link in with your concept. They are more focused on how well you know rehearsal techniques. That's all - Thats what my teacher told me.

Ah good :biggrin: thanks!
I've just been looking the mark scheme for section B and I came across this for level 5

'there will be a comprehensive understanding of the likely aesthetic impact of the production and how this compliments and enhances the meaning and structure of the play'

Anybody know what it means by 'likely aesthetic impact' in this context?
This is going to sound really stupid, but how are themes in Woyzeck relevant to modern audiences?
I don't know what to say without feeling like I'm writing rubbish :/
This is going to sound really stupid, but how are themes in Woyzeck relevant to modern audiences?
I don't know what to say without feeling like I'm writing rubbish :/

You could emphasise the tragic theme and say this is still relevant bcos today the poor/people with no power are still oppressed and pushed down by those with power e.g. politicians? That's what I'm doing anyway lol :smile:
What techniques/ways can you explore transitions. (Relating to question A (a) / How could you do transitions?
Original post by magicalyoghurt
You could emphasise the tragic theme and say this is still relevant bcos today the poor/people with no power are still oppressed and pushed down by those with power e.g. politicians? That's what I'm doing anyway lol :smile:

Thanks, are you gonna say which political group? I have no idea with politics lol.

I was going to talk about how my audience will trapped because of my concept - and then talk about humanity being trapped by modern society (e.g. many people today believe that we are slaves to the soul media) But i dunno if that sounds stupid :/
I've given up on revising for this exam.
It's just so frustratingly intangible. The mark scheme doesn't make the objectives very clear and it seems to me that they require a very specific writing style in order to achieve marks.

I'm just going to chance my arm...

(Woyzeck is also one of the LEAST interesting plays I ever read. I try SO hard to like it, but I just can't. I'm glad I'm doing Hamlet (a masterpiece) as my Section C text or I'd be in tears right now...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending