The Student Room Group

Cancelling my Student Loan

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could help me? In September 2010 I started at Leeds Trinity and successfully applied for a tuition and maintenance loan. Then in December I transfered to Brighton Uni to be closer to home; during the Christmas holidays I decided to quit due to personal reasons. The finance team at Brighton told me that I didn't need to contact Student Finance to cancel anything as they would sort everything out for me.

A few months on and I receive a letter in the post from Student Finance who don't seem to realise i've left Uni and are asking if I want another loan for the remaining academic year and next year, which I obviously don't. I've logged into my account to confirm I don't want any more loans for next year, but I can't find anywhere on my account to tell them that I am no longer at Brighton!

I'm a little worried as I am also in the process of applying to new universities through UCAS and want to be able to get a loan for when I start my new course. I don't want Brighton to get tuition payments if i'm not even a student there!

Help?
Reply 1
Original post by LizzieF
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could help me? In September 2010 I started at Leeds Trinity and successfully applied for a tuition and maintenance loan. Then in December I transfered to Brighton Uni to be closer to home; during the Christmas holidays I decided to quit due to personal reasons. The finance team at Brighton told me that I didn't need to contact Student Finance to cancel anything as they would sort everything out for me.

A few months on and I receive a letter in the post from Student Finance who don't seem to realise i've left Uni and are asking if I want another loan for the remaining academic year and next year, which I obviously don't. I've logged into my account to confirm I don't want any more loans for next year, but I can't find anywhere on my account to tell them that I am no longer at Brighton!

I'm a little worried as I am also in the process of applying to new universities through UCAS and want to be able to get a loan for when I start my new course. I don't want Brighton to get tuition payments if i'm not even a student there!

Help?

Brighton told you nonsense. You have to send a change of circumstances form as soon as you leave university.
Reply 2
Urgh, how fustrating. Would it still be worth sending the form now? If so, where can I obtain one?
Reply 3
Original post by LizzieF
Urgh, how fustrating. Would it still be worth sending the form now? If so, where can I obtain one?

Some people said they were able to get their application cancelled over the phone, if not the form is online.
Reply 4
Original post by LizzieF

I'm not really experienced enough to help you with the rest of your question, but this bit - I'm afraid since this will be your third time starting a new course, even though you quit before the start of your second year both times you will not be able to get a tuition fee loan for all of your new course. You will always be able to get a maintenance loan, but with tuition fees the course+1 rule applies - you can only have tuition fee loans for the length of your course plus 1 year, and as I'm assuming you're doing a 3 year course, you're entitled to 4 years of tuition fee loans, and you've already used up 2 (whether you use all or part of it is immaterial, it's the number of academic years it covers that is relevant).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Afteryourfirstyear/DG_171586

This link actually takes you to the parts of the websites helping with both bits of your question...the bit relevant to what I'm talking about is near the bottom - 'will you get finance for your whole course?' - but it conveniently also includes the online change of circumstances form you need to send off.
Original post by Vinchenko
I'm not really experienced enough to help you with the rest of your question, but this bit - I'm afraid since this will be your third time starting a new course, even though you quit before the start of your second year both times you will not be able to get a tuition fee loan for all of your new course. You will always be able to get a maintenance loan, but with tuition fees the course+1 rule applies - you can only have tuition fee loans for the length of your course plus 1 year, and as I'm assuming you're doing a 3 year course, you're entitled to 4 years of tuition fee loans, and you've already used up 2 (whether you use all or part of it is immaterial, it's the number of academic years it covers that is relevant).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Afteryourfirstyear/DG_171586

This link actually takes you to the parts of the websites helping with both bits of your question...the bit relevant to what I'm talking about is near the bottom - 'will you get finance for your whole course?' - but it conveniently also includes the online change of circumstances form you need to send off.

Whilst technically the rules you qoute are correct the OP has not started in two separate years.
clearly state they started in Sept 2010 and have only ever had 1 year's funding.
Reply 6
You don't gain funding unless you apply for it so you don't need to tell them you've quit. For instance I was on a 4 year course but now I've switched to a 3 year course. Hence next year I won't be at uni, therefore I won't apply for funding, and won't gain funding.
Original post by Ewan
You don't gain funding unless you apply for it so you don't need to tell them you've quit. For instance I was on a 4 year course but now I've switched to a 3 year course. Hence next year I won't be at uni, therefore I won't apply for funding, and won't gain funding.

Yet more uninformed tosh!

The OP has quit.
They are contractually required to personally inform the uni that they have left.
Don't any of you read the contract you sign?
Reply 8
Original post by hypocriticaljap
Whilst technically the rules you qoute are correct the OP has not started in two separate years.
clearly state they started in Sept 2010 and have only ever had 1 year's funding.

You are quite right - apologies, I didn't read that thoroughly enough. I didn't consider that she might have managed to start two courses and leave in the space of a single term, but there we go! It is true, though, that a lot of people start courses when they are ineligible for full student loans for all of their course without realising it, because they have already started twice before, for example, or done a first course into the second year.

Quick Reply

Latest