The Student Room Group

Digital Design/Interactive Design

Hi all,
I studied Multimedia Computing and graduated in May 2010 and since then I have been looking for a job and I'm finding it extremely hard. I definitely want to get into digital design/interactive design and I am sort of losing hope :frown:. Many companies want people with experience, others offer internships but I have had no luck as yet. I have done two internships one of which was more related to content management and the other was designing a companies website. I have contacted agencies and they have advised me to apply through companies because they are more than likely to hire graduates that way. I have sent out tons of CV's, covering letters, set up a temporary portfolio and ...nothing! :frown:

Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to get into the industry? tips? success stories? It would be appreciated!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Jobcentre.
Original post by phunky_fresh
Hi all,
I studied Multimedia Computing and graduated in May 2010 and since then I have been looking for a job and I'm finding it extremely hard. I definitely want to get into digital design/interactive design and I am sort of losing hope :frown:. Many companies want people with experience, others offer internships but I have had no luck as yet. I have done two internships one of which was more related to content management and the other was designing a companies website. I have contacted agencies and they have advised me to apply through companies because they are more than likely to hire graduates that way. I have sent out tons of CV's, covering letters, set up a temporary portfolio and ...nothing! :frown:

Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to get into the industry? tips? success stories? It would be appreciated!!

Maybe try getting unpaid placements for experience?
Do voluntary design for charities/good causes to boost your portfolio, to add something different and unique.

Make sure you really research into the companies/design studios that you feel you'd enjoy working within, and tailor your CV and portfolio to each studio.
It's also best to telephone first - that way, you're not wasting your time sending things out if they're definitely not taking on any interns/placement opportunities at the time.

Maybe sent a multi-page PDF portfolio of your work with the CV at the end? Show off a few of your best projects - give them something to look at.

I'm still in Uni, but working through these methods have helped me get a placement. I guess it's all about persisting, and continuing to learn.
Reading lots of design books/learning about new technologies also helps and keeps you constantly inspired.
Don't give up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending