The Student Room Group

How to get an A* edexcel maths

Just want to clarify, as i cant find anything on the net.

To get an A*, do you need an average of 90% or above ONLY on C3 and C4, as well as an A grade (480 UMS) overall?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes.
Reply 2
Original post by Hoffs
Yes.

wait, so you can get 80% average in AS and 90% average in A2 and end up with a*? soz im confused lol :confused:
Original post by Sokka
wait, so you can get 80% average in AS and 90% average in A2 and end up with a*? soz im confused lol :confused:

yes
Reply 4
You can get the following grades and end up with an A*:

C1 - 75
C2 - 75
C3 - 90
C4 - 90
M1 - 75
S1 - 75

The total needs to be 480/600 with a combined score of 180 in C3 and C4.

It's harder than it looks though, especially considering Edexcel's January Grade Boundary for an A* in C4 was 72/75 for 90 UMS and 69/75 for 80 UMS.
Reply 5
Original post by chaz1992

C1 - 75
C2 - 75
C3 - 90
C4 - 90
M1 - 75
S1 - 75

It's harder than it looks though, especially considering Edexcel's January Grade Boundary for an A* in C4 was 72/75 for 90 UMS and 69/75 for 80 UMS.

wow that seems easy yh, but considering the grade boundaries it looks hard. Definately do-able tho.. Can you do that on AQA or do you need 90% average across all the modules??
Reply 6
Yes.

For example with me
C1=91
C2=82
M1=79
C3=89
So I need to get 139 in M2 and C4 to get an A. And I need 91+% in C4 to get an A*

C1 - 75
C2 - 75
C3 - 90
C4 - 90
M1 - 75
S1 - 75

Chaz the grade boundaries were such a joke.... I know have re sit c4 to get the a star...And I only need 67 ums to get an A..

Plus all this is private study/ as a private candidate
Reply 8
Yep, the GB took the piss. I got 66/75 in that exam and that was a B. S2 had similarly high grade boundaries. High grade boundaries simply test whether you can execute an exam without making silly mistakes rather than testing your knowledge. Hoping for a proper C4 exam in June.

I think it's the same situation for AQA, OCR and Edexcel to get an A*. The only difference is OCR and AQA give you poper exam papers for maths.
Basically, you need B in AS(Overall) AND 90+ Average on A2!(C3, C4)

Which Will get You am Average A Overall + (90+) on C4 and C3 so A*

Correct me If I am Wrong :/
Reply 10
Now I'm getting confused. I'm doing Edexcel Maths and I asked my teacher about getting A*. He said that I need to get above 90 on ALL A2 Units ! (Including M2)
So this is my situation:
C1: 100
C2:89
S1:89
C3:90

This year I'm not doing S2, I'm doing M2 instead (because there was a stupid clash in my timetable if I wanted to do S2). But I'm also doing M1 in June and retaking C3 to improve my grade. Assuming I can't improve my C3 grade, what grades do I need to get in C4, and M1 to get A*. Can I even get an A* by doin S1 and M1 or do I have to do M2?
Thanks
Yep, the GB took the piss. I got 66/75 in that exam and that was a B. S2 had similarly high grade boundaries. High grade boundaries simply test whether you can execute an exam without making silly mistakes rather than testing your knowledge. Hoping for a proper C4 exam in June.

I think it's the same situation for AQA, OCR and Edexcel to get an A*. The only difference is OCR and AQA give you poper exam papers for maths.

dyu know if the exams will continue in the same format, with 69 as the grade boundary for an A grade or are they going to change? will they continue with a high boundary such as 69 for A2 papers?

I got an A* grade after completing my papers this Jan, and I'm currently doing FP2 and FP3, and working on hard and lengthy questions and also doing alot of repetition. For easy papers repetition is the key. Even for hard sums, sometimes doing them over and over again countless number of times ensures things in a really easy paper with a high grade boundary.

Any idea if this will continue? The last grade boundaries were around 67/68 for a 90, for FP2/3. I doubt that it will be the same this year. It'll prolly go upto 72:colone:! take a look. FP2 and FP3 are June only units and they may or may not be arranged the same way. I feel there will an increase since last year as there was for C4 and others.
Reply 12
Original post by Roozbeh
Now I'm getting confused. I'm doing Edexcel Maths and I asked my teacher about getting A*. He said that I need to get above 90 on ALL A2 Units ! (Including M2)
So this is my situation:

This year I'm not doing S2, I'm doing M2 instead (because there was a stupid clash in my timetable if I wanted to do S2). But I'm also doing M1 in June and retaking C3 to improve my grade. Assuming I can't improve my C3 grade, what grades do I need to get in C4, and M1 to get A*. Can I even get an A* by doin S1 and M1 or do I have to do M2?
Thanks

Your teacher is mistaken or you misundertood what they said.
Whatever units you take you need at least 480 UMS in total that must include 180 from C3+C4
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/maths/pages/viewNotice.aspx?notice=1649
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by bomberdoom
dyu know if the exams will continue in the same format, with 69 as the grade boundary for an A grade or are they going to change? will they continue with a high boundary such as 69 for A2 papers?

I got an A* grade after completing my papers this Jan, and I'm currently doing FP2 and FP3, and working on hard and lengthy questions and also doing alot of repetition. For easy papers repetition is the key. Even for hard sums, sometimes doing them over and over again countless number of times ensures things in a really easy paper with a high grade boundary.

Any idea if this will continue? The last grade boundaries were around 67/68 for a 90, for FP2/3. I doubt that it will be the same this year. It'll prolly go upto 72:colone:! take a look. FP2 and FP3 are June only units and they may or may not be arranged the same way. I feel there will an increase since last year as there was for C4 and others.

The grade boundaries fluctuate dependng on how hard the paper is and how everyone does.
Reply 14
Original post by Roozbeh
So this is my situation:

Thanks

You are not allowed to do M2 without doing M1 first.
Reply 15

C1 - 75
C2 - 75
C3 - 90
C4 - 90
M1 - 75
S1 - 75

wow that seems easy yh, but considering the grade boundaries it looks hard. Definately do-able tho.. Can you do that on AQA or do you need 90% average across all the modules??
Reply 16
Original post by Sokka

same with all exam boards.
Reply 17
If you take S2 do you have to get 90% in that as well for A*???
Reply 18

C1 - 75
C2 - 75
C3 - 90
C4 - 90
M1 - 75
S1 - 75

Thats Wrong!..You Need To Have A Combined Score Of 270/300 In C3,C4 & M1/S1/S2/M2 Etc!!
Reply 19
Original post by SpartanLK
If you take S2 do you have to get 90% in that as well for A*???

Yes!! You Need To Get 270/300 In C3, C4 & S2 Combined, So 90% In Each Module- Minimum!
:cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending