The Student Room Group

i've forgotten how to integrate fractions!

Hi, A at time t should be:

A(t)=1000e0t0.051+0.05sds=1000+50tA(t) = 1000e^{\int_0^t \frac{0.05}{1 + 0.05s}ds} = 1000 + 50t

but, even after searching on google, i can't seem to get their answer. i know this is a simple question but i've just completely forgotten how it's done!

can anyone help? thank you :smile:
Reply 1
In general, t1a+bxdx=1blog(a+bt)\displaystyle \int^t \dfrac{1}{a+bx}\, dx = \dfrac{1}{b} \log (a+bt); you can see this by making the substitution y=a+bxy=a+bx.
Reply 2
Do you remember what to do when the top is the differential of the bottom? if you want make a substitution x = 1+0.05s, it might make it more obvious.
Original post by troola

A(t)=1000e0t0.051+0.05sds=1000+50tA(t) = 1000e^{\int_0^t \frac{0.05}{1 + 0.05s}ds} = 1000 + 50t

but, even after searching on google, i can't seem to get their answer. i know this is a simple question but i've just completely forgotten how it's done!

It might be helpful to notice that 0t0.051+0.05sds0tdds[1+0.05s]1+0.05sds\displaystyle\int_0^t \dfrac{0.05}{1 + 0.05s}ds \equiv \displaystyle\int_0^t \dfrac{\frac{d}{ds}[1+0.05s]}{1 + 0.05s}ds.

What do you know about integrals of the form f(x)f(x)dx\displaystyle\int \dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)}dx?

EDIT: Too slow.
Reply 4
i used to have a list of rules for different kinds of integrals but i've lost them, and since i haven't done this kind of maths for so long i've completely forgotten it!

following what nuodai said i have 0.050.05log(1+0.05t)\frac{0.05}{0.05}log(1+0.05t) which i just know is wrong! hmph :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
It might be helpful to notice that 0t0.051+0.05sds0tdds[1+0.05s]1+0.05sds\displaystyle\int_0^t \dfrac{0.05}{1 + 0.05s}ds \equiv \displaystyle\int_0^t \dfrac{\frac{d}{ds}[1+0.05s]}{1 + 0.05s}ds.

What do you know about integrals of the form f(x)f(x)dx\displaystyle\int \dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)}dx?

EDIT: Too slow.

no i didn't know about this, what would be the rule when the top is the differential of the bottom? it seems there are a lot of different rules for a lot of different integrals! :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by troola
i used to have a list of rules for different kinds of integrals but i've lost them, and since i haven't done this kind of maths for so long i've completely forgotten it!

following what nuodai said i have 0.050.05log(1+0.05t)\frac{0.05}{0.05}log(1+0.05t) which i just know is wrong! hmph :frown:

What makes you think it's wrong? Put that in and simplify it.
Original post by troola

For the integration part, that's right. If you don't believe me, differentiate it back and see what you get.
Reply 8
Original post by troola

Original post by troola

Just from another vieewpoint, it may be helpful for you to think about what you get when you differentiate a log function.
Reply 9
oh ok my bad!

so would i end up with 1000elog(1+0.05t)1000e^{log(1+0.05t)} or am i going completely off track?
Original post by troola
no i didn't know about this, what would be the rule when the top is the differential of the bottom? it seems there are a lot of different rules for a lot of different integrals! :s-smilie:

If you consider the following:

ddx[logf(x)]\dfrac{d}{dx}[\log f(x)]

Where this is the natural log of f(x); if you let y=logf(x)y=\log f(x) and u=f(x)u=f(x), we have y=log(u)y=\log (u). Therefore dudx=f(x)\dfrac{du}{dx} = f'(x) and dydu=1u=1f(x)\dfrac{dy}{du}=\dfrac{1}{u}= \dfrac{1}{f(x)}.

By the chain rule, ddx[logf(x)]=dydx=dydu×dudx=f(x)×1f(x)=f(x)f(x)\dfrac{d}{dx} [\log f(x)] = \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{dy}{du} \times \dfrac{du}{dx} = f'(x) \times \dfrac {1}{f(x)} = \dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)}

Then, if you remember that integration is the reverse operation for differentiation, notice that ddx[logf(x)]=f(x)f(x)    f(x)f(x)dx=logf(x)+C\dfrac{d}{dx}[\log f(x)] = \dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \implies \displaystyle\int \dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)} dx = \log f(x) + C.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by troola
oh ok my bad!

so would i end up with 1000elog(1+0.05t)1000e^{log(1+0.05t)} or am i going completely off track?

That's right, and since elnK=...?e^{\ln K}=...?
Reply 12
Original post by troola

That was the first thing I learnt when integrating fractions. Always look to see if the top is the differential of the bottom. If you differentiate say, log(2x+1), you differentiate the bracket then do that over the bracket, if you get me. f'(x)/f(x).

So when you're integrating

you'd get 1000e^[log(1+0.05s)] - with limits of t and 0 - but log1 is just zero, so it would be log(1+0.05t) - e^ log anything just equals the bracket, so it would be 1000(1+0.05t) which is 1000+50t.

Make sense?
Reply 13
thank you everyone that helped a LOT! :biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest