The Student Room Group

M1 PULLEYS Question

Hey, I'm in year 11 and I have 13 other exams to revise for as well as as level maths so please just show me the working and answer 'cause I need to get revising quick, thanks.

Here's the question, I scanned it in:

I did part a and part b:

a) acceleration: 1.4ms-2
b) time: 1.7 seconds
c) ??? no idea how to do this one or how to work it out, I tried this method but I ended up getting 6.3 which isn't the answer in the answers page.

Thanks ;]
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump!!
you can work out its velocity when ring is removed use this as initial velocity.

You have the time, and you have the acceleration

so use s = ut + .5at^2
Reply 4
Original post by Freakonomics123
you can work out its velocity when ring is removed use this as initial velocity.

You have the time, and you have the acceleration

so use s = ut + .5at^2

that's what I did but it came out with the wrong answer because the acceleration and the time are only when the ring is in place
Reply 5
After the ring is removed then both objects have the same mass. So wouldnt the distance travelled just be zero?
Original post by Sokka
that's what I did but it came out with the wrong answer because the acceleration and the time are only when the ring is in place

oo there should be a de acceleration or moving at constant speed...i did M1 in january and have forgotted almost everything lol sorry
Reply 7
Original post by pinfultommy
after the ring is removed then both objects have the same mass. So wouldnt the distance travelled just be zero?

you're a GENIUS!! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Freakonomics123
oo there should be a de acceleration or moving at constant speed...i did M1 in january and have forgotted almost everything lol sorry

np man ;]
Reply 9
Original post by Sokka
you're a GENIUS!! :biggrin:

Cheers!:smile:
Reply 10
After the ring is removed then both objects have the same mass. So wouldnt the distance travelled just be zero?

no no no, you're not a genius xD soz for over rating you in my last post but I found how it goes :biggrin:

firstly, the acceleration when the cvollar is in place is 1.4ms-2 right? this means that 1.4 * 1.7 = the speed

2.38 = speed

2.38 * 3 seconds = 7.14 = 7.1 metres

DONE! same as answer in book yay :tongue:
suvat
Original post by Sokka
no no no, you're not a genius xD soz for over rating you in my last post but I found how it goes :biggrin:

firstly, the acceleration when the cvollar is in place is 1.4ms-2 right? this means that 1.4 * 1.7 = the speed

2.38 = speed

2.38 * 3 seconds = 7.14 = 7.1 metres

DONE! same as answer in book yay :tongue:

Oh yeah! Well done:smile:
Sorry about that. And yeah I know im not a genius:colondollar:
Original post by ebmaj7
Surely this is incorrect? The object would not suddenly become stationary after passing the ring?

No youre right the OP told me the correct way to do it:biggrin:
But thanks anyway for pulling me up on it!:colondollar:
Reply 14
Oh yeah! Well done:smile:
Sorry about that. And yeah I know im not a genius:colondollar:

thanks for the input tho xD somehow, your answer got me thinking along the right lines :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest