The Student Room Group

JOIN ME in "The last cramming attempt for good grades".

Scroll to see replies

This thread has definitely made me feel less rubbish about not having started to revise yet,need ABB or ABC for my firm. First exam is may 16th which seems soo close but I'm just telling myself it's ok as it's only a retake :P
I don't know what to do. Just had a crying session to my mum. I've done about 8 hours of revision today (with breaks) with a method that usually works for me but I looked at a past paper for RS just now and I honestly don't know anything. I was revising to make sure I knew it! I feel like I'm going to fail even though I've been working hard all year. I hate exams. I don't understand how I can revise and not know anything and I'm actually panicking now because there's so much to remember. :afraid:
I don't know whether I'm justified in feeling like this because I felt the same way with Psychology and I didn't fail and I keep trying to remind myself nothing can be as bad as AS Chemistry when I didn't revise and sat at the desk crying and counting the number of marks I was losing. But I seriously don't trust myself academically anymore because I always get good grades in class and panic in the exam and mess up somehow and I don't feel confident with A2 RS and it's really scaring me.

Any advice? Apart from 'revise more'.

/scared ramble
Reply 62
Original post by diamonddust
I don't know what to do. Just had a crying session to my mum. I've done about 8 hours of revision today (with breaks) with a method that usually works for me but I looked at a past paper for RS just now and I honestly don't know anything. I was revising to make sure I knew it! I feel like I'm going to fail even though I've been working hard all year. I hate exams. I don't understand how I can revise and not know anything and I'm actually panicking now because there's so much to remember. :afraid:
I don't know whether I'm justified in feeling like this because I felt the same way with Psychology and I didn't fail and I keep trying to remind myself nothing can be as bad as AS Chemistry when I didn't revise and sat at the desk crying and counting the number of marks I was losing. But I seriously don't trust myself academically anymore because I always get good grades in class and panic in the exam and mess up somehow and I don't feel confident with A2 RS and it's really scaring me.

/scared ramble

Your doing far better than me when it comes to revision lol, i'm stupidly behind on everything. Maybe your overworking yourself?

Maybe focus on another subject/topic even and then come back to the original topic? :h:
Reply 63

/scared ramble

Dont let the panic set in, that is the worst thing you can do for sure. Just sit down get a coffee and plan today WELL. Take alot of breaks and do short bursts of revision with reg breaks. Condense your info into the facts you know are key ect so you have like a two pages for each topic. then maybe make some flash cards while re-writing notes and condense it all again into a mind map which you do with no help from the book (from memory) and remember to use highlighters and coulors with alot of curvs and no straight lines (aparrently we learn it better using this method). This system always helps me and even makes me feel better as you can look at the mindmap on your wall and know that is a whole unit on one page and i did it all from memory. If you dont like mindmaps just hit the flashcards and note condensing ect. I feel like a dick as im doing AS and i am failing like a retard (probebly have to retake year at diffrent college) but i have recently started working for the first time and this has helped. Good luck and DONT PANIC. we have like 20 days
Reply 64
what is this A2!! STUPID! GOD STUPID! I couldn't finish ANY of my mocks, except C3 with a major mistake in a 7 mark question. In the biology unit 4 mock I LEFT A minimum of 15 marks... and probably the same number in the chemistry unit 4 and 5 mock
ANd what really bugs is that I prepared so well! What on earth can I do more!
Reply 65
Bring on the cramminggggggggggggggggggg... Need b's in everyting & my revision as only started today oopz :/
i just find revising so hard because majority of the time i know the stuff i just put the wrong parts in the question
although i only have philosophy left to revise for, i am retaking my AS philosophy to better my grades, and its the first exam of the year!! so worried because i have to do my textiels PI (3000 words) in for after the hols, which i am aiming for an A* in, and everytime i try to revise it doesnt go well! i feel like i am revising just as i did last year, and i didnt do very well!! any advice on the best way to revise/timetable?
Reply 67
Why do you guys all have your AS exams so late?
I've got my French oral in 11 days although I'm not too worried because I have a bag of set phrases ready to use and I can improvise fine. Then I have both Geography 1 and Classics: Odyssey in 24 days. Been revising quite a lot for Geography but none for Classics yet (very worried about that one). Maths C1 is the day after those two but that should be pretty simple.
Hoping A*A*AA in maths, statistics, history and further maths, although im currently re-teaching myself FP2 and FP3 as well as my entire history course, which i still have to sort out the coursework for!
Reply 69
I'm hoping to get 3As in Maths, Business Studies & Accounting - but its not looking too good :frown:
Reply 70
Does anyone else here find that cramming a few days before an exam actually works? I can't do much revision this early before exams (my first exam is on the 16th May, most other people are panicking like hell right now) for some reason. Cramming ftw.
Reply 71
Original post by tarazzle
Does anyone else here find that cramming a few days before an exam actually works? I can't do much revision this early before exams (my first exam is on the 16th May, most other people are panicking like hell right now) for some reason. Cramming ftw.

This - but i'm not sure if i should try it this time arround seeing as its my last chance :tongue:. In Jan i spent only 5 day revising for my last A2 exam and managed to get an A. Where as with an exam i started revising for since September i just missed a B by 1 mark :redface:.
Reply 72

/scared ramble

i no exactly how u feel, u get A's in mocks and when it comes to the real thing u fail, or barely scrape a C, what i did was obviously revise, but some good advice it not to learn as much as u can but to learn what the exam paper wants, for instance for psychology i could have wrtitten 5 pages for one question with the amount of knwoledge i had, but then u end up only writing moslty A01, and lose all the A02 and 3 marks which have more weighting anyway, so i would try to only learn a few examples and how to evaluate these in the given time limit of the exam so u covered the top bands of their specification .
hope that helps
Reply 73
Original post by Ree-Shay
This - but i'm not sure if i should try it this time arround seeing as its my last chance :tongue:. In Jan i spent only 5 day revising for my last A2 exam and managed to get an A. Where as with an exam i started revising for since September i just missed a B by 1 mark :redface:.

Glad to see there's someone else out there who finds the same thing! People don't believe me when I tell them I genuinely don't revise until at max two weeks before an exam, but it just works for me for some reason haha. I'm going to start Psychology revision soon though because I am s**tting myself for those exams, but I'll probably end up revising for my others the week before. Good luck with your exams :P
Original post by chloemo14
last minute cramming?!? It's still April!

My first exam is in less than a week :frown:
Reply 75
Due to my stupidly laid back attitude, when I got my timetable about a month and a half ago I didnt take into account how condensed my exams actually are.
I have 8 exams in the space of 9 damn days :frown:

Okay I thought, I can manage that. However, the 26th May looks so daunting. Surely they cant be allowed to do this, and surely if I protest against this I can get a change? On the 26th I have 4 exams in 1 day :eek:
Thats 4 1 and a half hour exams with a 5 minute break in between. That could make or break my AS levels if my brain just tires out. Surely I can ask for atleast 1 of them to be moved over to the next day??
Reply 76
Original post by tarazzle
Glad to see there's someone else out there who finds the same thing! People don't believe me when I tell them I genuinely don't revise until at max two weeks before an exam, but it just works for me for some reason haha. I'm going to start Psychology revision soon though because I am s**tting myself for those exams, but I'll probably end up revising for my others the week before. Good luck with your exams :P

Good luck to you too!
---
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
22 days until my exams start , and I looked at some subjects and found that the notes I thought were good have quite alot of gaps in them, which might just crop up on the exam paper .__.

I've wasted my holidays so far , only really familirising myself with the subject and haven't even attempted past papers. Really worried about S1 aswell.

Hopefully work starts tomorrow I guess :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest