The Student Room Group

TSR Climbers Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dipless
8000ft!!!! El capitan is only 3000ft of sheer rock :wink: Bet they were awesome! I'd love to do some big wall climbing but not sure that i'd have the cahoonas :wink:

Oh, not 8000ft for rock climbing, just strolling up, drove part way. But the picos, and northern Spain generally, is brilliant. I recommend it.
Reply 21
I thought thats what you meant, yeah northen spain is awesome, thats where I was in Pyreneese.

Original post by dipless
I thought thats what you meant, yeah northen spain is awesome, thats where I was in Pyreneese.

Yup, it's west of there. Do it if you can.:wink:
Reply 23
Original post by dipless
Stanage is pertty sweet (In fact i'm up there with a buddy next weekend :biggrin: ), has some awesome boldouring and Trad, do you do any trad? If so what level? Did an amazing climb there last month called Wuthering was amazing a little easy in it's E2 grade but phenominal route!

The boldouring there is so good for our grades as well so much to choose from! I'm really trying to improve my boldouring as I think it will help me on the crux's of the sports/Trad climbs!

I am origionally from London so use to climb at Castle and Westway but moved to the midlands so currently climbing at Redpoint and Wolf mountain for those cold winter months and midweek training sessions!

I've been to climbing works is a pretty decent wall well worth a visit! Chamonix... that sounds awesome! I just got back from a week climbing in Cyprus was sooooo much fun can't even begin to descibe! Amazing weather beautiful rock and hot women.... what more can you ask for!

You got any major targets? I want to lead my first E3 in 2011, onsight a 7a outside and onsight 7b's indoors TR and just get better at boldouring... Big goals not sure how it will go but i'll keep plodding through!

Climb hard

No I haven't tried trad before, as I said route climbing isn't really my thing. Perhaps that'l change at some point we'll see :p: Trad kinda freaks me out as well, which is kind of strange because I really don't mind highball that much. I think it's just the thought of putting in gear then looking down and noticing its all come out :colondollar:

Yea the bouldering at Stanage is awesome, I want to finish The Green Traverse & Deliverance but I think it'l be a while xD I wanted to do V7 within a year, I think it's still possible but it'l be harder now. I took a 1.5 month break over Christmas and it took me an entire month at least to get back to where I was before, now with this break the same again. But that's life and it's still fun regardless.

I'm not sure bouldering is what you should be concentrating on, if you're already doing V4/5 that means you're better at bouldering than route climbing. You won't find a V5 problem in a F7a put it that way :p:
Reply 24
Original post by Chillaxer
Yup, it's west of there. Do it if you can.:wink:

I'll take a look:smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Ewan
No I haven't tried trad before, as I said route climbing isn't really my thing. Perhaps that'l change at some point we'll see :p: Trad kinda freaks me out as well, which is kind of strange because I really don't mind highball that much. I think it's just the thought of putting in gear then looking down and noticing its all come out :colondollar:

Yea the bouldering at Stanage is awesome, I want to finish The Green Traverse & Deliverance but I think it'l be a while xD I wanted to do V7 within a year, I think it's still possible but it'l be harder now. I took a 1.5 month break over Christmas and it took me an entire month at least to get back to where I was before, now with this break the same again. But that's life and it's still fun regardless.

I'm not sure bouldering is what you should be concentrating on, if you're already doing V4/5 that means you're better at bouldering than route climbing. You won't find a V5 problem in a F7a put it that way :p:

Fair enough! Trad is kinda freaky... but I think thats why I love it! V7 in a year thats gonna be intense! But then I guess if you dedicate your training to boldouring then it makes things a little easier!

TBH I like to keep my training varied, I like boldouring as it improves my footwook and my explosive strength (which is crap :s-smilie: ) I have found V4/5 style problems on some E2's and 7a's but it really seems to depend upon the style of climbs and rock type.
Reply 26
Just had a good climbing session in Trevor on beautiful Clwed Limestone! Managed 2 6c leads... happy days, but now I have VERY sore fingers they were incredably crimpy :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Original post by dipless
Hey dews, 6a is pretty good, still no push over especially outdoors :wink: I love trad and it's a completely different kettle of fish and seems to take a long time just to improve a grade or two! Your boldouring WAY above what your leading skills would suggest... do you focous mainly on boldouring! Bet if you put some of that boldouring skill into your leads you'd fly through the grades! V5's are fecking hard! :wink: Yeah work getting in the way of climbing sucks... should be banned :wink: I love highball problems but then I am a bit of an adrenaline junkie, as long as I have good spotters and my trusty mats, i'll try most stuff!

Where do you normally climb when you go trad and boldouring outdoors?

Sorry for the late reply - I haven't climbed trad or sport since November so this I guess is why my bouldering is better.

Generally tend to boulder in Frodsham or the Peaks (higgar tor, stanage plantation etc) when I'm in the Uni. When I go home, dependent on travel I normally go to Angel Bay on the North coast of Wales, or get up to the pass and boulder around cromlech and RAC.

Trad nomally get out to World's end near Llangollen if its just for the day, but if its more than a day then we go to the peaks (anywhere really but dependent on weather). Also get climb quite a bit above Betws at Clogwyn y Cyrrau, good for taking mates who haven't climbed much before. Then the slate quarries and Tremadog if the weather turns for the worst.

The awesome thing about North Wales is that thers always something to do even if its raining. Tremadog and the Orme are always safe on a rainy days in the pass. Or you could stay in the pass and play the bus stop shuffle.
It's incredible what we've got here in britain. Was just looking on wiki. Yeah, the lakes, dales etc get credit, but there's tons of hills, west pennines, downs, malverns, shropshire, in the west country too. Stuff I didn't know of. I can't recall what a mountain is, but there's ton's of 1000-1500 ranges that probably don't get any tourists.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by dews1290
Sorry for the late reply - I haven't climbed trad or sport since November so this I guess is why my bouldering is better.

Generally tend to boulder in Frodsham or the Peaks (higgar tor, stanage plantation etc) when I'm in the Uni. When I go home, dependent on travel I normally go to Angel Bay on the North coast of Wales, or get up to the pass and boulder around cromlech and RAC.

Trad nomally get out to World's end near Llangollen if its just for the day, but if its more than a day then we go to the peaks (anywhere really but dependent on weather). Also get climb quite a bit above Betws at Clogwyn y Cyrrau, good for taking mates who haven't climbed much before. Then the slate quarries and Tremadog if the weather turns for the worst.

The awesome thing about North Wales is that thers always something to do even if its raining. Tremadog and the Orme are always safe on a rainy days in the pass. Or you could stay in the pass and play the bus stop shuffle.

Sounds like you have done quite a abit of climbing! If you ever a t the Roaches (peaks) or North Wales and need a climbing partner... trad, sport or bouldering give us a shout i'm always looking for new peeps to climb with and I love the great out doors!

I love stanage think the best trad routes I did up there are The Right and left Unconquerable, Millsom's Minion and Tower Face Direct, my fave boldour problem I tried was Not to be Taken Away, took me a lot of practice before I nailed that one!

North and mid wales is awesome, as long as you like limestone :tongue:
Reply 30
It's incredible what we've got here in britain. Was just looking on wiki. Yeah, the lakes, dales etc get credit, but there's tons of hills, west pennines, downs, malverns, shropshire, in the west country too. Stuff I didn't know of. I can't recall what a mountain is, but there's ton's of 1000-1500 ranges that probably don't get any tourists.

Totally agree, we don't always appreciate whats on our doorstep! I spend a lot of time in Shropshire (live there :tongue: ), penines and Malverns but like you there is loads of places i've yet to visit! If you find any great ones then let us know!

P.S. officially a mountain is over 1000m and we don't have any in England :frown:
Reply 31
Just had an awesome Bouldering session, my fingers are screaming, my forearms are pumped and my grip has gone! Did my first V6 and loads of good V4's and a few V5's as well as loads of easier stuff :smile: Trying to improve my power and strength, so going to target my indoor training towards bouldering and footwork as that should hopefully make me work on my weaknesses!
Finally a climbers thread! Hello everyone! I'm a climber too :smile:. Going to mile end later :P. I'm a massive bouldering fan. Done outdoor trad and sport but doesn't cut it as bouldering does! Fontainebleau all the way!
Original post by Joinedup

Was around the roaches in Jan and had valkarie pointed out to me.

Valarie in the roaches is a bitch! Remember trying it a few years ago. I nearly decked on it! my fist wasn't wide enough to jam so had to layback which was really pumpy. Then when i got 3/4 up first pitch i came off and my belayer went shooting up! :eek: His feet ended up at my face height and my right foot was touching the ground but i came to a stop as this happened *shudders*. That was deffo my scariest outdoor moment!
Original post by dipless
Just had an awesome Bouldering session, my fingers are screaming, my forearms are pumped and my grip has gone! Did my first V6 and loads of good V4's and a few V5's as well as loads of easier stuff :smile: Trying to improve my power and strength, so going to target my indoor training towards bouldering and footwork as that should hopefully make me work on my weaknesses!

a few years ago i was knocking off V7's indoors but stopped climbing and am currently back down on V2's and V3's :eek: It's shocking how fast climbing ability detereiorates isn't it?
Reply 35
Original post by blue_shift86
Finally a climbers thread! Hello everyone! I'm a climber too :smile:. Going to mile end later :P. I'm a massive bouldering fan. Done outdoor trad and sport but doesn't cut it as bouldering does! Fontainebleau all the way!

Welcome, TBH I'm more of an outdoor Trad and sports just using bouldering as to improve my power and strength. Have you been to Fontainebleau? I'd love to get over there, may try before I start uni!

Valarie in the roaches is a bitch! Remember trying it a few years ago. I nearly decked on it! my fist wasn't wide enough to jam so had to layback which was really pumpy. Then when i got 3/4 up first pitch i came off and my belayer went shooting up! :eek: His feet ended up at my face height and my right foot was touching the ground but i came to a stop as this happened *shudders*. That was deffo my scariest outdoor moment!

Valkarie was FUN, quite possibly one of my favourite VS routes! Did you try The Sloth whilst you were up there? It's
a tough HVS overhang on upper tier. If not and you are happy leading HVS give it a shot... what a route! I've had a few moments like that in Trad normally on Bold E1's when i've take a few good whippers :tongue:
a few years ago i was knocking off V7's indoors but stopped climbing and am currently back down on V2's and V3's :eek: It's shocking how fast climbing ability detereiorates isn't it?

V7's i'm just not strong enough and to be fair my footwork is probably not good enough¬ But I know what I need to work on. I agree that you loose ability very quickly! So get back on it! Never been to Mile End! Whats it like? Have you tried Westway Centre?
Original post by dipless
Totally agree, we don't always appreciate whats on our doorstep! I spend a lot of time in Shropshire (live there :tongue: ), penines and Malverns but like you there is loads of places i've yet to visit! If you find any great ones then let us know!

P.S. officially a mountain is over 1000m and we don't have any in England :frown:

Yeah, unfortunately I live in East Anglia, the most resoundingly flat and featureless landscape in Britain. The coast is nice, but that's it. Wales as well is awesome, away from the maountain ranges there are countless high hills.

Huh? The definition of a mountain I know of is 2000ft, about 600+metres.:confused:

I think it also can go on relative height and prominence besides that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dipless
Welcome, TBH I'm more of an outdoor Trad and sports just using bouldering as to improve my power and strength. Have you been to Fontainebleau? I'd love to get over there, may try before I start uni!

Valkarie was FUN, quite possibly one of my favourite VS routes! Did you try The Sloth whilst you were up there? It's
a tough HVS overhang on upper tier. If not and you are happy leading HVS give it a shot... what a route! I've had a few moments like that in Trad normally on Bold E1's when i've take a few good whippers :tongue:

V7's i'm just not strong enough and to be fair my footwork is probably not good enough¬ But I know what I need to work on. I agree that you loose ability very quickly! So get back on it! Never been to Mile End! Whats it like? Have you tried Westway Centre?

Been to the westway loads but more a leading place. If you've not got a belay partner it's boring there. Mile end is like 90% bouldering so perfect for me. i just got back from there in fact - 4th time in a week. My arms are aching loads...think i need a few days for muscles to self-heal.

And yup, i've been to font a few times. AMAZING place! Where are you going to uni? Uni clubs usually go to font if they're a good club. :smile:
Yeah, unfortunately I live in East Anglia, the most resoundingly flat and featureless landscape in Britain. The coast is nice, but that's it. Wales as well is awesome, away from the maountain ranges there are countless high hills.

Huh? The definition of a mountain I know of is 2000ft, about 600+metres.:confused:

I think it also can go on relative height and prominence besides that.

East anglia is a **** hole. I had to go there in 2nd year geophysics trip to see some chalk left from the last ice age (i studied geophysics). It was so ****ing boring! I had a great salad at a local pub though whilst everyone else was having mussels. :/

As for mountain definition. It depends on country and organisation. Different countries have different definitions of a mountain. Can't rememeber the expact definition of a UK mountain (something over 1000ft i think? But in my books everything in the UK is just a big hill. The alps are a real mountain range, as are the rockies, himalayas, Andes and the mountains of New Zealand. :smile:
East anglia is a **** hole. I had to go there in 2nd year geophysics trip to see some chalk left from the last ice age (i studied geophysics). It was so ****ing boring! I had a great salad at a local pub though whilst everyone else was having mussels. :/

As for mountain definition. It depends on country and organisation. Different countries have different definitions of a mountain. Can't rememeber the expact definition of a UK mountain (something over 1000ft i think? But in my books everything in the UK is just a big hill. The alps are a real mountain range, as are the rockies, himalayas, Andes and the mountains of New Zealand. :smile:

Well, landscape wise it's crap. That said, Cambridge, where I live, is nice and suffolk coast is nice.

Quick Reply

Latest