The Student Room Group

TSR Climbers Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SebMurphy
I think bouldering is a much more social sport. i often go with a group of work friends and we spend all evening bouldering. Its cheaper and better for you than going out drinking.

I've started doing circuits to build my endurance, and will hopefully be starting using fingerboards more as soon as i can.

That is very true, I often go with my brother to our local bouldering centre, it is good fun :smile:

Nice, what are fingerboards sorry?
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
That is very true, I often go with my brother to our local bouldering centre, it is good fun :smile:

Nice, what are fingerboards sorry?

Fingerboards are like this.
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/metolius/project/131705

You use them to train finger and arm strength.

I'm slightly spoiled for climbing places near me, there are a few good ones in london. Unfortunately my favourite is on the other side of town.
Original post by SebMurphy
Fingerboards are like this.
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/metolius/project/131705

You use them to train finger and arm strength.

I'm slightly spoiled for climbing places near me, there are a few good ones in london. Unfortunately my favourite is on the other side of town.

I thought that was what they were! They are incredibly hard to use :colondollar:
That's lucky, I only have one place :redface:
Been reeallly pushing myself climbing recently! After moving down to Brighton I've found an amazing bouldering centre called Boulder Brighton, great atmosphere, challenging routes etc. Thinking of going and doing some outdoor climbing at the beginning of November, probably in Yorkshire. After a lot of set backs earlier this year it feels to good to be motivated again :smile:
Reply 384
Get out to Chamonix! A quick hop from the UK and epic climbing..
Original post by Schap
Get out to Chamonix! A quick hop from the UK and epic climbing..

There's some good climbing out there, even in really easy to get to places like Les Gaillands.

Up above the Col de Montets has got to be the best place though, nice long routes and some interesting hard ones.

:biggrin:
Went and did some roped stuff yesterday for the first time in ages. Grades have dropped but not quite as bad as it could have been.

Probably going bouldering tonight if i can sort out my flappers before then.
Eager beaver, already thinking about next summer.... hoping to head out for a week or so in Fontainebleau. Never actually made it out there before but I've been improving so much with my climbing lately after the shattered coccyx fiasco, so figured next summer is going to be the summer for it. Excited! Also hoping to maybe head up North for some outdoor rope climbing in a few weeks though not entirely sure where yet.... any suggestions as to best places for winter climbing Yorkshire way?
I've just moved to sheffield, and in case anyone wasn't sure, the climbibg here is awesome.
I'm planning on going out and doing some trad at stannage over the winter, as well as spending as much time as possible at the foundry.

If only I was any good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dipless
Totally agree, we don't always appreciate whats on our doorstep! I spend a lot of time in Shropshire (live there :tongue: ), penines and Malverns but like you there is loads of places i've yet to visit! If you find any great ones then let us know!

P.S. officially a mountain is over 1000m and we don't have any in England :frown:
Sorry to be contradictory, but where did you learn the 1,000m definition? - GCSE geography specification says 300m; UK government definition is 600m - I think the only 1,000m classification is the USA; the ACTUAL definition of a mountain only states that the land has to be significantly higher than the surrounding land, so technically there is no specific height by this definition - Overall, the classification is vague, and varies between regions
Reply 390
I'm at uni in exeter but live near Guildford :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone here Junior Comp. at White Spider in Tolworth? - need a climbing partner!
Aberdeen but staying in Inverness for the moment. Transistion extreme is good fun - need to try and get an afternoon there at some point.

New to this thread - hello :smile:
Started climbing about 18mths ago - indoor top roping mostly - mostly 6a/6a+s though pushing myself to try harder routes and occasionally sucessful. Indoor lead climbing comfortable with 5+, never tried anything harder. Would like to climb outside and just getting to stage where I'd be comfortable trying.
This threads alive again! :awesome:
Cool, I stay in Inverness at the moment as my placement is here until June, I'm not sure where I will be sent after that but it isn't too unlikely I'll be in Aberdeen over the summer at least a bit - I have finals in June/early July in Aberdeen and may stick about for a while to catch up with folk.

Yeah transition is the bigger climbing place with lots of routes and a bouldering wall, over at RGU there is another wall, I think there might be a small wall in the leisure centre but I have never climbed there. Transition is usually busy enough but not too busy. Outdoors there is the seacliffs and if you have transport you can get into the hills too.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/

I've only ever bouldered outside at Blackford quarry in Edinburgh, if I was you I'd just have a look on the ukclimbing page, search for Aberdeenshire.

Yes I guess the public transport is not amazing but then outside of the city it is rare for there to be hundreds of buses as there isn't the population to support them! In the city itself buses are okay but expensive, and compared to Edinburgh a bit crap but I guess its not the capital so it is a less important transport system. Probably on a par with Inverness though.

Having a car means you can get into the hills which will be great for you :biggrin:

Not been climbing in 3 weeks, need to get motivated and persuade someone else to come with me as I can't be bothered with a 3 mile walk/20 min cycle just to go bouldering at the leisure centre,
Edinburgh is where I call home, Inverness is temporary home until June and Aberdeen is my university - however I just recently found out my placements for next year and I am only actually going to have a few random weeks in Aberdeen with most of them away.
So I have indoor climbed at transistion and RGU in Aberdeen, alien rock 1 and 2 in Edinburgh and the lesiure centre here.
Transition is considerably bigger than the Inverness wall... ...but considerably smaller than my memories of Ratho with its nearly 30m routes
I used to be able to climb there for 3hrs plus though and not run out of routes.
If you can climb outside you don't need to be so limited though as there is sea cliff climbing and then you are relatively speaking close the the mountains for other climbs and outdoor sports.

Portlethen yes, bouldering no, but I think its one of the places the uni club go and I have heard people talking about Portlethen as somewhere they go, certainly worth a look.
Hmm, didn't even know this forum had a climbers thread.

Anyway, probably a long shot but anybody here from Bristol? Haven't been climbing often enough for a while now but looking to get back in to it, mainly indoors as I don't have the time for much outdoor climbing, and am happy bouldering, top roping or leading, as long as I'm climbing I'm happy.

So, any other Bristol climbers around?
Original post by mackemforever
Hmm, didn't even know this forum had a climbers thread.

Anyway, probably a long shot but anybody here from Bristol? Haven't been climbing often enough for a while now but looking to get back in to it, mainly indoors as I don't have the time for much outdoor climbing, and am happy bouldering, top roping or leading, as long as I'm climbing I'm happy.

So, any other Bristol climbers around?

Will be a Bristol climber from June onwards.

I haven't climbed in a few months and my techniques are quite sloppy but I can do most trad, um before I stopped for a bit I was happy with a 6a and can lead climb, but I don't have any equipments though as I've been so stingy and been borrowing uni's equipment. :colondollar:

I also have no idea which indoor climbing is best, there's a few new ones I want to check out.

Quick Reply

Latest