The Student Room Group

TSR Climbers Thread

Just thought i'd create a thread for all those climbers and potential climbers here at TSR.

I have been climbing a long time but for a couple of years seriously and am currently climbing

indoors Toprope 7b/b+
indoors Lead 7a outdoors sport 6c (Am currently working on redpointing a 7b)

Outdoors Trad E2/3 on a good day depending on protection (I have a slight problem with bold routes would rather a technical and safeish E3 than a Bold E1)
Boldouring depends on how pumped but abound V6 ish

My favourite places to climb in include Portland, The Roaches, Peaks and A small place called Trevor.

Got back from a week of climbing in Cyprus where I did my first 6c onsight outside so was really pleased with that.

Please feel free to share any stories, advice on Crags, routes and anything else about climbing on here.

If you're looking to start out climbing feel free to drop by and say 'hi' and ask anything you'd like we're all happy to help, here's a very basic beginners guide I wrote just to introduce you to some of th basics and answer some of the reccuring questions.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_beginners_guide_to_Climbing
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No climbers on here then :frown:
Reply 2
I've done a bit of climbing but it was all indoors. I used to go to lessons for 2 hours once a week last year but had to stop this year due to extra work, etc. I got up to a 6a indoors I think but further than that was difficult since I'm not particularly strong and have very short limbs :p: I'd like to restart climbing actually. It's really fun :biggrin: Also, climbers are sexy :fan:
Reply 3
Hey, I know what you mean.... climbers are pretty darn hot, but a harness on a decent body whilst working out is enough to get anyones blood pumping :wink:!

Thats cool about the lessons, only really had the intro lesson then have been climbing with loads of different people. I've been climbing 3-4 times a week for the last 6 months so pushing hard through the grades! Things are starting to get really small and painful now :frown:

But your dead right climbing is a LOT of fun... a great challange for yourself, you can keep on pushing yourself which is so good!

6a is a pretty good grade the jump from 6a - 6b I found quite big... I really had to work on my footwork.... and it's still no good :biggrin:

Have you thought about restarting? If so you should see if your local area has a mountaneering club as it's a really good way to meet random people to climb with.
Reply 4
Just started this year trad mostly, led HVD and seconded S on peak district grit.

got a lot more coming up - climbing trips to wales at the end of may :smile: bit worried about strengthening my forearms before then cos I got so pumped on the S that I couldn't pull the last cam out :frown:
Reply 5
Hey joinedup. Thats cool I love Trad but it's a completely different ball game to other types of climbing! I lead an amazing route at the roaches on Friday called Valkarie it's a 2 pitch VS and as exposed as hell.... but an abolutely phenominal grit classic! Also a cool HVS overhang called the Sloth that was fun but felt fairly hard in the grade.

Nice work on leading the HVD and seconding an S thats a great start do you know the names of the routes?

I go to Wales quite a lot to climb, normally Trevor Area, Llanmerch and other limestone fun, how about you? :smile:

To be 100% honest with you the most important thing in the lower grades is footwork! Strength is great and finger strength is very important as things get more crimpy. But if you are worried about forearm strength, if you climb indoors, find a route well within your grade 5/5+ and climb it 10-15 times back to back at the end of your normal session.... you'll be amazed how quickly your strength and endurence picks up.

Also practice doing dead hangs, pull ups and if you can afford it get yourself a grip maseter... but as I said practice footwork, footwork, footwork then you don't even need the strength :smile:

Climb hard :biggrin:
Reply 6
I can't remember the names, should start logging them properly.

The S was one of these http://www.rockfax.com/databases/results_buttress.html?id=838 the S is V-corner I think... it was definitely on the right of the pinnacle, It was the layback that did my arms in.

Can't remember the HVD I led - different crag but I led the 'sheltered crack' VD right behind the pinnacle at castle naze too (which was easy peasy)

Was around the roaches in Jan and had valkarie pointed out to me.

May trip will be a week in snowdonia
Cheers for the advice, might get some indoor in before then also got a summer job throwing sacks of compost round at a garden centre whichm ight help too.
Reply 7
You been up Cader Idris?
Reply 8
Original post by Chillaxer
You been up Cader Idris?

No I must be honest I haven't, might take a look this summer I'd really like to give Gwydrin a try apparently has a great slab on pitch 2! How about you have you climbed there? What route did you take if so? You been climbing long?
Reply 9
Original post by dipless
No I must be honest I haven't, might take a look this summer I'd really like to give Gwydrin a try apparently has a great slab on pitch 2! How about you have you climbed there? What route did you take if so? You been climbing long?

I'm not really an advanced climber. I did Cader Idris when I was a kid. It's isolated from all the others, so it's less touristy I think. I've been to Snowdonia(Tryfan, Snowdon I think) and The Lakes(Cringle Crags?) but funnily enough Cader sticks out most in my memory. It's beautiful. Can't recall the route, just recall the lake near the top.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Joinedup
I can't remember the names, should start logging them properly.

The S was one of these http://www.rockfax.com/databases/results_buttress.html?id=838 the S is V-corner I think... it was definitely on the right of the pinnacle, It was the layback that did my arms in.

Can't remember the HVD I led - different crag but I led the 'sheltered crack' VD right behind the pinnacle at castle naze too (which was easy peasy)

Was around the roaches in Jan and had valkarie pointed out to me.

May trip will be a week in snowdonia
Cheers for the advice, might get some indoor in before then also got a summer job throwing sacks of compost round at a garden centre whichm ight help too.

Yeah I have all my climbs logged in my guide books or online :biggrin: Helps when you are getting through them to know what you did and with who!

That looked cool! Laybacking is allways tiring on the arms but you do a lot of it on grit, that and pebble pulling.... quite possibly my least fav thing :s-smilie: Gotta love rockfax :tongue:

Oh sweet what did you think of it.... I remember the first time I saw Valkarie I was like there is NO way I am trying that! But to be honest the climbing was easy it was just the route, (1 move) and the exposure which make it quite SCAREY.

ooo snowdonia have lot's of fun it's a beautiful part of the world! :smile: Yeah the sacks of compost will def help your strength :smile:

Climb hard
Reply 11
I'm not really an advanced climber. I did Cader Idris when I was a kid. It's isolated from all the others, so it's less touristy I think. I've been to Snowdonia and The Lakes but funnily enough Cader sticks out most in my memory. It's beautiful. Can't recall the route, just recall the lake near the top.

Yeah it is a stunning part of the world, I climbed on Craig Cau near Cader Idris before but will have to get over and take a look... you've sparked the intrigue inside me!

So do you still climb at all?
Reply 12
At a similar sort of level dipess, V5 indoors/outdoors F6c lead climbing (although I don't do it very often at all). My favourate spot is probably Stanage in the peaks, really awesome place. Definitely a boulderer as this is primarily what I do, only doing lead once every few weeks or less. Been climbing perhaps 7 months or so, taking a break at the moment though due to work commitments. Where are you from? I climb at The Castle in London - awesome gym! Really want to visit the Climbing Works gym, that place looks freaking awesome.

Also into mountaineering, heading to Chamonix this summer :top:
Reply 13
I climb but not too well - 6a indoors and outdoor sport - trad comfortably I climb HS but I have lead a few Vs's - boulder around V4-V5, i'm fine until they become highball problems and then I just **** myself. I try to get bouldering 2ice a week but uni's getting hectic, can't wait for summer to start.
Original post by dipless
Yeah it is a stunning part of the world, I climbed on Craig Cau near Cader Idris before but will have to get over and take a look... you've sparked the intrigue inside me!

So do you still climb at all?

Ah ok, I thought that was the only mountain there. Cader is defo memorable. Very good for camping if I recall. Haven't climbed for ages but would love to. I've been near Fuente De(?) in the Picos de Europa too, that was wicked. They are beautiful limestone mountains. Really remote, and on a whole different scale to anything else I've seen.
Reply 15
Original post by Ewan
At a similar sort of level dipess, V5 indoors/outdoors F6c lead climbing (although I don't do it very often at all). My favourate spot is probably Stanage in the peaks, really awesome place. Definitely a boulderer as this is primarily what I do, only doing lead once every few weeks or less. Been climbing perhaps 7 months or so, taking a break at the moment though due to work commitments. Where are you from? I climb at The Castle in London - awesome gym! Really want to visit the Climbing Works gym, that place looks freaking awesome.

Also into mountaineering, heading to Chamonix this summer :top:

Stanage is pertty sweet (In fact i'm up there with a buddy next weekend :biggrin: ), has some awesome boldouring and Trad, do you do any trad? If so what level? Did an amazing climb there last month called Wuthering was amazing a little easy in it's E2 grade but phenominal route!

The boldouring there is so good for our grades as well so much to choose from! I'm really trying to improve my boldouring as I think it will help me on the crux's of the sports/Trad climbs!

I am origionally from London so use to climb at Castle and Westway but moved to the midlands so currently climbing at Redpoint and Wolf mountain for those cold winter months and midweek training sessions!

I've been to climbing works is a pretty decent wall well worth a visit! Chamonix... that sounds awesome! I just got back from a week climbing in Cyprus was sooooo much fun can't even begin to descibe! Amazing weather beautiful rock and hot women.... what more can you ask for!

You got any major targets? I want to lead my first E3 in 2011, onsight a 7a outside and onsight 7b's indoors TR and just get better at boldouring... Big goals not sure how it will go but i'll keep plodding through!

Climb hard
Reply 16
Original post by dews1290
I climb but not too well - 6a indoors and outdoor sport - trad comfortably I climb HS but I have lead a few Vs's - boulder around V4-V5, i'm fine until they become highball problems and then I just **** myself. I try to get bouldering 2ice a week but uni's getting hectic, can't wait for summer to start.

Hey dews, 6a is pretty good, still no push over especially outdoors :wink: I love trad and it's a completely different kettle of fish and seems to take a long time just to improve a grade or two! Your boldouring WAY above what your leading skills would suggest... do you focous mainly on boldouring! Bet if you put some of that boldouring skill into your leads you'd fly through the grades! V5's are fecking hard! :wink: Yeah work getting in the way of climbing sucks... should be banned :wink: I love highball problems but then I am a bit of an adrenaline junkie, as long as I have good spotters and my trusty mats, i'll try most stuff!

Where do you normally climb when you go trad and boldouring outdoors?
Reply 17
Ah ok, I thought that was the only mountain there. Cader is defo memorable. Very good for camping if I recall. Haven't climbed for ages but would love to. I've been near Fuente De(?) in the Picos de Europa too, that was wicked. They are beautiful limestone mountains. Really remote, and on a whole different scale to anything else I've seen.

Tha sounds awesome.... I love remote places, I spent 3 weeks in the pyreneese mountains in a tiny village called Aliaga one of the most peaceful places I have ever had the pleaseure to visit.... It's so nice being somewhere remote and unspoilt... you just can't beat it!!!

Limestone... my favourite rock :wink:
Original post by dipless
Tha sounds awesome.... I love remote places, I spent 3 weeks in the pyreneese mountains in a tiny village called Aliaga one of the most peaceful places I have ever had the pleaseure to visit.... It's so nice being somewhere remote and unspoilt... you just can't beat it!!!

Limestone... my favourite rock :wink:

Limestone and little roadside villages etc. Driving and climbing is amazing. They are about 8000ft some of them, but still were pretty doable, drove someway up then went to top.
Reply 19
8000ft!!!! El capitan is only 3000ft of sheer rock :wink: Bet they were awesome! I'd love to do some big wall climbing but not sure that i'd have the cahoonas :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest