The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Preparing for the SATs varies per individual. However, scoring a 1400 or 2100 (new scale) will not guarantee an entrance into an Ivy League. It's not like in the UK where an AAAA would allow you to enter many high level unis. I had a friend who scored a 1560 but got rejected by all the Ivy league schools he applied to. SAT IIs are more knowledge based exams.

If you check the uni websites, they will give you a general SAT range of the incoming freshman class (first years). But take into account that the SAT requirement is probably much higher than advertised.

I don't have much time to type anymore, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck
Yeah, a 1400 (2100) or even a 1600 (2400) will not grant you entry to the Ivy League. Ivy League schools and other highly selective US schools look for a lot more than grades unfortunately, and I personally think it's more difficult to get into top US schools versus top UK schools because they are looking for brilliant people that also play sports, do music, volunteer, and are amazing at non-school related things. Academic excellence is just the beginning at US schools; after you've passed the academic barrier, then they assess you on the involvement of your activities outside of school. Top schools want well rounded people, much more so than UK schools.

Studying for the SAT can be a pain, but if you take practice tests it will help. I reccommend ordering prep books both for the SAT and for the subject tests so you can get a feel of what the tests are like. The math section can be difficult because even though it's easy math, a few careless errors can dramatically decrease your score. Studying for the SAT can only help you so much though, and some people just don't score well. I have a friend who is extremely smart, but scores horribly on the SAT I. I've heard from some UK students that the subject tests are a piece of cake because you guys are better prepared in your education system, but I don't know how much this statement will hold for you. Look at a prep book and see if you can answer the questions. Some top US schools (Bates, Colby, Bowdoin) make SAT tests optional, and they don't count not taking the SAT against you, especially if you are an international student.
I am in a similar boat. I have top results in all my UK exams but have not done my SATS, (a few of my friends managed a transfer to the top US Unis without doing SATS but they were truly stunning).
However, from what I have read, it would make sense to do the SATS. Do I have to work towards them, or should my British education be sufficient to get an Ivy level SAT score. On the extra-curricular front, I have been very active.
I will be at my UK university nexy year, Sept. 06.

Has anyone here done their SATs in addition to their A-levels? How much extra work did you have to do?
Reply 4
I read on a website once that some forms of the US curriculum are wavered in light of the British A-level system, so perhaps the top US colleges will take A-levels into account?

For example, the undergraduate degree in the US takes four years to complete doesn't it? But apparently if British students have exceptional A-level grades they are able to miss aspects of the course to graduate in three.

I am interested in US colleges, even if I am at present studying AS levels. So any information would be appreciated here too. To the others, I would suggest Googling and the like to gain more information.

What schools is everyone interested in? Personally, I think Harvard, Columbia, Brown and possibly Princeton look like great places to study!
Reply 5
Yea for the U.S..it's pretty much a guessing game. How do you know when ur extracurriculars/academics will be enough? Also, they're not just looking at well-rounded people anymore, sometimes they take in people who excel just at one thing music/sports etc.. I actually go to a U.S university now....3 years ago when I took the SATS..i got 1410 (decent), above 750s for all my SAT IIs. I did a lot of extracurriculars at school and my teachers liked me a lot. I didn't get in the few Ivies that I applied to, but I'm glad with where I am now because some ppl I know are working their asses off and are stressed 24/7. Plus, being a part of a legacy helps your chances improve by A LOT!.
Reply 6
The top US universities are so competitive that having top grades and scores only makes you eligible. After that it’s who you know or just getting lucky. I hear Harvard only accepts 10% of its applicants.

The SATs are a aptitude test with a verbal, written and math section. (The math only goes up to Algebra II).

The SATs II are much more difficult and require a full year of AP in order to do well (in the states AP classes are after advanced and students receive full college credit for them.) Examples would be Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc..

Best advice I can offer you is to contact the Uni itself and find out what you need to do. Apply to a number of schools including some safeties, if you don't get into the schools you want contact these schools and find out why you were rejected.
Reply 7
I'm not sure if things have changed with the SATs II...but most ppl I knew didn't need ot take a full year of AP. Well, maybe except for the sciences. But the SAT II Writing Test..u definitly don't need Eng AP to do well...same with math. I did the Writing one, math IC (easy as hell), and french. I didn't take ap courses prior to those exams
Zhivago
What schools is everyone interested in? Personally, I think Harvard, Columbia, Brown and possibly Princeton look like great places to study!

Myself, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, CIT, Stanford and Yale.

--------------

How about ECAs what do you guys do?
Reply 9
My little bro is applying to the Ivey League schools and he is having to take several SAT IIs. He asked the teachers of his AP classes and they all told him that he would not be ready until the end of the year (after the AP class was over). I think they are going to give him some extra work to prepare... I guess I can let you all know when he gets the results.
Reply 10
wow..I guess the SAT IIs got a lot harder...Was there a change or anything with the SAT IIs, like the SAT I ?
Reply 11
I dont know. I guess English and Math could be taken, but Physics, Chemistry, Biology, ec... all require AP experience from what we've been hearing.
The US system seem really closed to international students at the undergrad level

--------------

I know of plenty of UK mates at top IVY league school, some are undergrads but they are only a small amount compared to postgrad. I only know one person who went to an ivy US unversity (MIT) without doing SATs.
Reply 13
Yea it seems like it. I haven't really noticed a lot of British people here at school and neither have my friends elsewhere (Ivies if that's what you wanna know). But judging from all the enquiries in this forum, seems like a lot of people are considering unis in the U.S. to be an option.
I'm guessing maybe because there's a lot of good unis in the U.K (Oxbridge, Lse, Ucl, Kings etc..) and many people may not want to stray too far from home? Also its more expensive here in the U.S. I think...and not all schools here are need-blind.
SAT IIs aren't harder necessarily because you should take them in the subjects you like.
I'm at Stanford now and this is what I sent
SAT I 1420 (old scale)
SAT II Writing (now part of SATI) 770
SAT II Literature 750
SAT II Biology 700
SAT II Math IC 720
I took Biology after one year of freshman (Form III) bio...and I'm terrible at science so that says something. I didn't take any of those courses at AP level when I took the SAT IIs. But of course the UK curriculum is different so you may not be prepared without some extra study.

What set me apart besides my grades was definitely my activities: choir, flute in orchestra, varsity sports, community service. Work on your grades but you need to keep in mind that you still have to compete on a personal level.

There are very few British students here at undergrad, but significantly more (and Aussies as well) at the postgrad level.
In the UK, we have the UCAS system that standardises the uni application system, for both national and international students. The UK also has a long tradition of admitting international students (even on different exam systems not all have don a-levels). The US has the world’s best universities, but it seems very hard to find coherent information regarding undergrad applications for international undergrads. It looks as if the application standards (for international students and transfers) are at the university’s discretion (i.e. if they really want you, you are in, regardless of the exam system).
Reply 16
Well, there is no real 'required grade' for the SAT for US Universities. The SAT system is quite different from the UK system. Most Ivies prefer students with a 1400+ (or 2100+) score. The middle 50% of last years accepted scores can be viewed at the university's website, or at collegeboard.com (College Finder).
The SAT I is quite difficult as students have to complete it in a very short period of time. The SAT II Subject Tests can be taken on subjects that you like and the syllabus depth is less than that of A-Levels. The difficulties often faced by students doing the SATII, is again the shortage of time (e.g. Chemistry exam = 85 questions in one hour), and that you cannot use a calculator in exam (other than Maths) and thus some calculations can become quite time consuming.
Reply 17
magna cum laude
In the UK, we have the UCAS system that standardises the uni application system, for both national and international students. The UK also has a long tradition of admitting international students (even on different exam systems not all have don a-levels). The US has the world’s best universities, but it seems very hard to find coherent information regarding undergrad applications for international undergrads. It looks as if the application standards (for international students and transfers) are at the university’s discretion (i.e. if they really want you, you are in, regardless of the exam system).

Well not really, every US university website has a special page for international students that has information about standardized tests required, etc.
aiman
Well not really, every US university website has a special page for international students that has information about standardized tests required, etc.

I was just pointing out that in the UK they look at exams other than a-levels, we get many students who have never done any a-levels. It just seems that there is much confusion about the US system and it only allows for students who have dome their SATs. Other exams are taken into consideration, but one still needs to to SATs.
Reply 19
magna cum laude
Has anyone here done their SATs in addition to their A-levels? How much extra work did you have to do?

I'm doing both A-Levels and SATs. I did SATI in october, just finished SAT II in December and will do A-Levels in May/June 2006.
The workload is colossal. After doing SATII, I've fallen behind in my studies and am still trying to catch up. Now I have to fill in application to 8 universities (≈ 16 essay!) and am going to fall back again probably.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Zhivago

Well I think MIT, UPenn, Stanford, Caltech, Duke and Yale are wonderful universities to attend for an engineering program!

Latest

Trending

Trending