The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pascalgungah
what the?...... Thats ridiculous, those who do medicine are likely to become doctors, who have to be intelligent, if your brother can't even get one a or b then he should definetly not be doing medicine, he is basically stupid, how would you like it if you were smarter than your doctor?

How do you base intelligence from exams? One person might learn all the stuff but have bad exam technique or be extremely smarter than his peers and in the same situation or smarter in other subjects. There are hundreds of reasons why smart people can fail exams but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are dumb.
Original post by Josh_Dey
Hi,
I've heard a lot about Universites with really high entry requirements and I was wondering if there were any Unis with *low/acceptable requirements for Medicine? I havn't completed my GCSEs yet and just wanted this as a sort of back up plan if I get unexpected grades.

And, if you were given an offer with 'under-average' grades please tell me what University this was. By under-average I mean compared to most applicants...

One more thing, I'm not sure how this entry and offer system works, enlighten me :smile:

Thanks
Josh

*low/acceptable compared to most Universites.

Hi,I'm currently studying International Baccalaureate, and I've looking for King's college for studying medicine as undergraduated student, and for entry requirement, it's about 35 points out of 45, which is quite the lowest after all the universities's entry requirements (for studying medicine only), most of then require at least 37 points (like imperial college), so... . I don't what is it in A- level, but i'm sure that it's quite low as entry requirement for medicine. After 5 years, u're gonna be a bachelor so...Hope that helped.Gaabee
Reply 22
Where was he studying
Reply 23
I'm sorry to say but you need to smash your gcse's and a levels- competition is so tough those exams are just an affirmation you are suitable- you then need to go above and beyond to demonstrate your commitment to the profession. Good Luck! You can do it.
- Dr Booth Newly qualified GP
Original post by mellowman
How do you base intelligence from exams? One person might learn all the stuff but have bad exam technique or be extremely smarter than his peers and in the same situation or smarter in other subjects. There are hundreds of reasons why smart people can fail exams but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are dumb.

At medical school you are required to take exams to pass the years and proceed to graduation, somebody who has poor exam technique will be very unlikely to proceed through medical school.
I don't suppose someone who is still expected to get good results with hard work of course in his final yr mark in June 2017 can have Universities look at his predicament as astonishingly he got B in Chemistry (predicated grades) probably a one off, where as he got A's in others incl. Biology. As he is focusing on medicine but quite upset due to the above.
hi i am a nonuk student sitting forAL this may/ juneIts a real menace to go thru UKcat and BMATI got to know that there are unis cater to private students without those examsOne such is central LancashireDo you know any other unis with that type if flexible admission criteria?thanks in advance

Latest