The Student Room Group

Maintenance Grant taken away for no reason!

I've looked through quite a few pages and can't find anything that's exactly the same as my problem.

I'm finishing my final year at uni, and have received a partial maintenance grant every year I've been here, including in September & January of this academic year. In March I received a letter telling me that I was no longer eligible for a maintenance grant at all, and that not only that, but also that I have to pay back the grants that I have received this year before I graduate. My household income is well under limit for a partial grant, and there have been no changes to my curcumstances since I applied for 2010/2011 finance. There was a remitance advice slip (I think that's what it's called) at the bottom of the letter wanting my bank details so they could take the money back, which made me wonder if it was a scam of some kind, as surely SF would already have my account details for paying me in the first place?

I've sent off a letter about it, but as yet have no had a reply.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, or knows why this might have happened?

Reply 1
Could be your assessment was reviewed as part of the sample check, and your parents didn't respond to the requests for evidence.
Reply 2
They asked for my parents P60, sent them in, received another letter a few weeks later asking for it again, so I rang them to say that I'd already sent it, and the woman at SF said that it had been received, so she didn't understand why I'd had another letter.
Another girl on my course had the same initial letter, but didn't send it in, and hasn't had hers taken away.
So confused!!! :/
When you log onto student finance, what does in say regarding your payment this time??
Reply 4
RE product or status?
Does it say you are due to be paid a grant?

I had letter a while back saying I wasnt eligible for a grant, but it says I am online and I still get it. I really do think the letter i got was a mistake.
Reply 6
No, it says that I received a grant in September & January, but that in February I got an interim loan and then the actual loan. What I don't understand is why the grant was taken away when my parent's income hasn't changed and when I was eligible originally, but also why they're making me pay back what I've been given. Especially if the mistake in paying me in the first place is on their part
Reply 7
Interim one means you were reassessed. My assumption, based on time scales, is that it was due to the sample check. But you really need to speak to them and find out exactly. Their database does record when the assessment was changed and why, so should just be a phone call.
Reply 8
I've had the exact same problem, they chose me as part of a random sample, but because my letters were delivered to an address that i don't live at during term time, i didn't respond, and so now im almost 3000 down.

Did you not get one of those letters? Log onto your student finance account and check in the "view correspondence" folder. If you have just send in your evidence again and they will sort it out for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending