Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Mac do i choose?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, after prom and my gcse's i'll have some money (around £1300 give or take 20%) which i intend to spend on an Apple Mac, i'm not into graphics or photography, just need a fast reliable Mac laptop, and i wanted to know which one of the many you guys would recommend.
    Thanks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Buy the new macbook pro they just brought out. The new features on it look like it is much faster than the old models, so perfect for what you need. And you will also have the new Lion OS on it if you wait. With this money I'd recommend buying a 13" model, but maybe upgrading from the basic model.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    New Macbook Pro gets my vote. If you like apple :rolleyes: ...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    New Macbook Pro gets my vote. If you like apple :rolleyes: ...
    Which one? and any additional features?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamespaton)
    I was originally considering the 13", as i've never had a macbook i've not had much experience, which is why i have asked for help
    I kinda' imagined a 13" MBP to be an expensive netbook?
    Some people will argue that the 13" screen is too small but I would disagree. It depends what you use it for and by the sounds of it the 13" will suit you fine if you just use it as an ordinary laptop.

Yes, any mac is very expensive. But a MBP 13" isn't much more than a white macbook, and in my opinion much better. But above that you are stepping up to 15" and 17" MBP which jump in price enormously. So out of the macbook range I think that a MBP 13" is the best, and it is also within your budget.

Otherwise, you could look at sony (still very expensive, but less than macs); dell; Hp or Acer. Are you definitely after a mac?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hammer 24)
    Some people will argue that the 13" screen is too small but I would disagree. It depends what you use it for and by the sounds of it the 13" will suit you fine if you just use it as an ordinary laptop.

Yes, any mac is very expensive. But a MBP 13" isn't much more than a white macbook, and in my opinion much better. But above that you are stepping up to 15" and 17" MBP which jump in price enormously. So out of the macbook range I think that a MBP 13" is the best, and it is also within your budget.

Otherwise, you could look at sony (still very expensive, but less than macs); dell; Hp or Acer. Are you definitely after a mac?
    Would you go for the 2.7ghz 13" in that case?
    Indeed, Mac's are definitely for me. Becoming rather sick of the unreliability of windows
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Entry level 13" MacBook Pro would be the most suitable. Faster than both the white MacBook and the supremely overpriced Air, and capable of taking on more demanding tasks if your needs change.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would you go for the 2.7ghz 13" in that case?
    Indeed, Mac's are definitely for me. Becoming rather sick of the unreliability of windows
    As a casual user, you wouldn't make use of the extra power the i7 provides. The i5 is more than enough. Don't spend money for the sake of it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which one? and any additional features?
    any. I don't care. Just the base model seems to be the best of any mac.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    the i5 would save me about £300, which is really rather useful.
    Go with the i5 then [=
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    iMac. It's portable.

24" of mac-gasm.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    QUOTE=jamespaton;31031690]Would you go for the 2.7ghz 13" in that case?
    Indeed, Mac's are definitely for me. Becoming rather sick of the unreliability of windows [/QUOTE]

Go for the i5 then as someone suggested.

The only other thing you could do is to pay more for the 8GB of memory (if you are buying from apple). This will increase the performance of the laptop allowing you to run more applications at the same time. But then you are talking another £150 on top :eek: As a casual user you will not need this, but still worth considering if you are not buying the i7, but keen to maximise speed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get a PC.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punk Phloyd)
    Get a PC.
    Not a bloody chance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you don't even need the pro, just get a good spec macbook.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    GET A PC.

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i will be buying from apple as i get a fairly decent discount,
    on the 15" 2.0 ghz would it be worth upgrading for 8gb ram?
    Nooo Nooo Nooo, to put things into perspective go into the task manager and look under performance. Check out your memory usage, I sincerely doubt it ever goes over 3GB.

In some ways I'd agree with the other dude about just buying a macbook as well. Why do you think you need a macbook pro? What exactly do you use your PC for?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I second PC as well...
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go for the i5 then as someone suggested.

The only other thing you could do is to pay more for the 8GB of memory (if you are buying from apple). This will increase the performance of the laptop allowing you to run more applications at the same time. But then you are talking another £150 on top :eek: As a casual user you will not need this, but still worth considering if you are not buying the i7, but keen to maximise speed.
    Yeah, i will be buying from apple as i get a fairly decent discount,
    on the 15" 2.0 ghz would it be worth upgrading for 8gb ram?[/QUOTE]

Again, you don't need it. Most casual users will fail to occupy the default 4GB of RAM with programs, unless you're performing a lot of heavy multitasking. In this instance, buy your RAM from crucial.com and fit it yourself. Apple put a huge mark up on RAM, charging £160 for 8GB which can be found for £80 elsewhere. Fitting it yourself is easy enough to do.

(Original post by itsamemario666)
    Sounds like you don't even need the pro, just get a good spec macbook.
    A basic MacBook with 4GB is only about £50 cheaper than the entry level Pro. For that you get a significant jump in processing power, Aluminium unibody, backlit keyboard, a larger hard drive, and more. Well worth the extra expense in my opinion.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 29, 2011
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.