The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think (may be wrong here) that an mmath course is 4 years (incorporating a Bsc as well), Msc in maths is an extra year after you have graduated from university. For an Mmath degree you have to stay at one place for 4 years, if you do a bsc then a msc you can move.
ssmoose
I think (may be wrong here) that an mmath course is 4 years (incorporating a Bsc as well), Msc in maths is an extra year after you have graduated from university. For an Mmath degree you have to stay at one place for 4 years, if you do a bsc then a msc you can move.

yes, you are wrong there! he was talking about an MSci, not an MSc! anyhows, as to the guy aboves original question, they are both straight four year courses. there's nothing different about them apart from the name really, and yes, MMath is a more recent 'invention'. anyhows, this should have answered your question. :smile:
Reply 3
pratikv
he was talking about an MSci, not an MSc!

what's the difference between MSci and MSc? Is MSc a further three years?
Reply 4
Msci = master in science(an undergraduate master course,bascially an enhanced version of corresponding Bsc course, so it takes 4 years in total including the Bsc)
Msc = master of science (a graduate master course, normally takes 1 year)

In most cases, a Msci course should be at the same level as a Msc course, but can be funded by LEA. :smile:
Reply 5
Msci = master in science(an undergraduate master course,bascially an enhanced version of corresponding Bsc course, so it takes 4 years in total including the Bsc)

In most cases, a Msci course should be at the same level as a Msc course, but can be funded by LEA. :smile:
Reply 6
freemyice

which impresses employers more?
Reply 7
freemyice

Reply 8
Sorry :frown: should have read the original post properly.
Reply 9
Sorry :frown: should have read the original post properly.
Reply 10
gianthead

Proabably the same in terms of job prospects if they are in the same subject(e.g.MMath,Msci Mathematics,Msc mathematics)
Reply 11
gianthead

Proabably the same in terms of job prospects if they are in the same subject(e.g.MMath,Msci Mathematics,Msc mathematics)
Reply 12
Bear in mind that with an MMath you'll automatically get a student loan and be able to delay paying your fees until later. I don't think quite the same applies if you do a postgraduate qualification.
Reply 13
Bear in mind that with an MMath you'll automatically get a student loan and be able to delay paying your fees until later. I don't think quite the same applies if you do a postgraduate qualification.
Reply 14
MSc is considered to be taught at a higher level than MSci...but thats not really the case in most universities.
MSc could cost you alot whereas MSci could be funded by ur LEA.
MMath was "invented" by Warwick university i think and then other places like Oxford followed it....though its exactly the same as MSci.
Reply 15
MSc is considered to be taught at a higher level than MSci...but thats not really the case in most universities.
MSc could cost you alot whereas MSci could be funded by ur LEA.
MMath was "invented" by Warwick university i think and then other places like Oxford followed it....though its exactly the same as MSci.
Reply 16
I Think Maths Would Be Your Best Choice By Far Because If You Choose Actuarial Science And Later Change Your Mind It Would Be Disastrous And Very Hard To Find A Job In Other Maths Areas. It Is Also Much Easier To Pick Up The Trade Of Actuaries With A Maths Degree At University As It Shows You Are Capable Of Doing General MaTHS
Kbartlett
I Think Maths Would Be Your Best Choice By Far Because If You Choose Actuarial Science And Later Change Your Mind It Would Be Disastrous And Very Hard To Find A Job In Other Maths Areas. It Is Also Much Easier To Pick Up The Trade Of Actuaries With A Maths Degree At University As It Shows You Are Capable Of Doing General MaTHS

What are you on about - I think you posted this in the wrong thread.
Reply 18
Is Cambridge's Part III like MMath? (but more advanced?)
sebbie
Is Cambridge's Part III like MMath? (but more advanced?)

No, MMath is a four year course, whilst the part III of the Cambridge maths tripos is just 1 year long, and is supposed to one of the hardest (and best in terms of material and being stretched/challenged) equivalent masters maths courses in the world.

Latest