The Student Room Group

Imperial or UCL?- MSc Biomedical Engineering

Hey,

I'm an international student, and have got offers for MSc Biomedical Engineering from both UCL and Imperial. Which course do you think is better? And why?

Thanks for your help :smile:
I'd say UCL. and congrats.
Reply 2
If you are looking at it primarily on the basis of name and ranking, then Imperial every day of the week. The UCL name does of course carry a lot of weight but not as much in Engineering.

Now the most important factor is your research interests and the actual course. I know (having applied and been accepted) that Imperial offers 4 streams which you can then tailor to your interests and specialize (not always a good thing but the module options do look very interesting).

I haven't looked much at UCL's programme but being an undergrad there in Mech Eng., I know most of the lecturers (and course organiser) quite well. I think it's geared more towards Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials but not so much on the modelling and simulation side. The department is however a leader in Encapsulation such as microbubbling for drug delivery and the use of contrast agents in ultrasound. So if you are interested in that, I'd definitely take UCL over Imperial.

Since you are an international student, you can't really visit to get a feel of the place which is a shame. So you should definitetly get in touch with both course organisers to talk about your interests, what they can offer you and your future plans.

Let me know if you need extra info about UCL
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi, I don't know if anybody's still there. I've just got an offer for Medical Physics MSci at UCL and Biomedical Engineering at Imperial. I'm an EU student but have seen both unis. I don't know, UCL seemed more friendly. (I'm a girl as well btw :P so am a little unsure about the male:female ratio at Imperial is that really an important factor?).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending