The Student Room Group

Urgent Jurisprudence Question

Jurisprudence is compulsory at my uni, and I am finding it really troublesome. Please could someone with know-how help me structure a 2500 essay?

"Explain the "internal point of view" and evaluate its role in Hart's theory of law."

On first read I thought it meant define the IPoV, then compare it's importance to other areas within Hart's theory. I don't think this is correct though. Please could some who has passed Jurisprudence with 2:1 or higher give me some guidance? I would really appreciate it. I've never asked for help on TSR before, but this time I really need it!

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply 1
The internal point of view is part of Hart's counter to Austin, who saw law as functioning because we obey commands given by the sovereign, as if we do not we would face sanctions. Hart delved deeper and said there was an external and internal aspect to obedience to law. Externally, we obey law because if we did not we would face sanctions or criticism from others; internally some of us come to accept and recognise the law as intrinsically valuable.
I would say for that question first explain what the internal point of view is, then discuss how well it fits in with Hart's other theories, like primary and secondary rules, rule of recognition, moral principles in law (inclusionist positivism) etc.
This seems a good link in explaining the internal point of view http://legaltheorylexicon.blogspot.com/2004/05/legal-theory-lexicon-038-internal.html

Quick Reply