The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

just bought this for £18 :smile:
Reply 7761
Original post by oxygen49
Starting at one of the big 4 in september and the dress code is business casual - naturally I will be wearing a suit etc when needs be but the definition of business casual itself seems confusing. I did an internship in the same office, and admittedly most weren't very stylish, and they wore anything from an unbuttoned and rolled sleeve shirt with suit trousers to a full suit.

Do you think an outfit such as a tweedy jacket, button down oxford, smart dark chinos and loafers/brogues would constitute business casual?

I would call that business casual. The problem is that someone else might not. I know at least one firm that thinks it means just that, and others that think it means "you don't have to wear a tie with your suit".

Personally I think it's a terrible term which they should give you guidance on. I would email HR and ask for specifics. Failing that, dress business normal, you can always adjust downward.
Anybody know where I can get some good cheap desert boots?
Reply 7763
Clarks make the best desert boots, unless you wanna splash out on Acne/Common Projects..
Reply 7765

High waisted or what. Simon is that you?
Reply 7766
Haha that's true, I just liked the design on the trousers - I'm sure they could be worn lower?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tdawe
Haha that's true, I just liked the design on the trousers - I'm sure they could be worn lower?

I think you should wear them even higher, they could pass off as dungarees if you added a few straps.
Reply 7768
Topman seem to be updating there sale pretty frequently, just bought this for a pretty good price - £14, opinions ?

shawl.jpg
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mess.
Don't go near a Hugo Boss suit, they are amongst the worst suits for their price out there and are usually used as a barometer of what not to get.

What is it you need a suit for?

As for the suit you posted, in real life it is light grey with a dark navy windowpane. It is an incredibly nice suit, far and away my favourite of the season, however the cloth is incredibly light so if it is the only suit you are going to have/going to use it a lot/are heavily built especially in the thighs then I would avoid it as you will wear through it rapidly.

I didn't know that! I thought they were nice but I've never tried them.

For very different kind of stuff but to make an estimation, I'll need it about 3 times a month. I would love to have it but I can't afford it.. and yes I'm only going to have one suit. What would you advice me? (dark blue, grey) Your tips are useful.
On the subject of suits for interviews, a young guy came in today for an interview wearing a pocket square and the manager interviewing him was like "What a tosser, who does he think he is with that hankie" I loled and said he's talking to the wrong guy (I was wearing one myself). Never really thought about how it might look to an interviewer, don't think i'd care personally. So, is it pretentious to wear to an interview? Best to stick a basic suit, nothing too flashy?
Original post by Tokyoround
On the subject of suits for interviews, a young guy came in today for an interview wearing a pocket square and the manager interviewing him was like "What a tosser, who does he think he is with that hankie" I loled and said he's talking to the wrong guy (I was wearing one myself). Never really thought about how it might look to an interviewer, don't think i'd care personally. So, is it pretentious to wear to an interview? Best to stick a basic suit, nothing too flashy?

You wouldn't care what your potential employer's first impression of you was? I wouldn't think anything of it but it is completely unnecessary in an interview.
Reply 7772

I'd say that it's best not to risk appearing too flash in an interview, as you don't know what your interviewer's attitude is towards sartorial style. So pocket squares, power ties, shirts with contrast collar and cuffs, flashy cufflinks and braces are all off limits imo. You only get one chance to make a first impression and dressing like Gordon Gekko for a graduate job certainly wouldn't get you far :P.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Vodking
I'd say that it's best not to risk appearing too flash in an interview, as you don't know what your interviewer's attitude is towards sartorial style. So pocket squares, power ties, shirts with contrast collar and cuffs, flashy cufflinks and braces are all off limits imo. You only get one chance to make a first impression and dressing like Gordon Gekko for a graduate job certainly wouldn't get you far :P.

I guess that's my way of thinking as well, i've just never considered it being an issue really until that guy today. Some people (mostly women) have the point of view though that your outfit should be flashy so they remember you.

Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
You wouldn't care what your potential employer's first impression of you was? I wouldn't think anything of it but it is completely unnecessary in an interview.

No i'm saying I wouldn't care as an interviewer. As an interviewee i'd be bricking my pants.
Reply 7774
Unfortunately, these kind of things do make a difference. How you dress is not relative to a fixed moment in time, and does relate to current fashions and also your age - as well as the job. Although you might think you are looking smart, the person employing you might think there is a problem.

Current trends:

This is the most important one. Time was where all men wore hats. They don't anymore. If you went to an interview with a fedora on, it doesn't matter that no-one would have given you a second glance in 1950. They will now, and will probably think that you have a problem with attention-seeking or are just odd. Bracers are another one. Once they were ok, now they're all about the 1980s. This is much easier to explain in context of womens' fashion. Not so very long ago, women would go to work wearing seamed stockings. Today, what used to be absolutely normal is for a variety of reasons considered more akin to a sex uniform, and interviewing wearing seams will probably get you a big X from HR.

Like it or not, some things do vary with your age. It's perfectly normal to see an 18 year old in a suit. But it's not normal to see an 18 year old with an elaborately folded pocket square. Can you see how a 20 year old and a 40 year old applying for the same job might be viewed completely differently for having that same embellishment? On pocket squares at interviews, I would say - if you are under 25, tread with extreme caution. If you must must do it - do it plain white and folded minimally with one point or horizontal.

Job:

If wearing a suit is not part of the job, then I would say there's much less problem. However, if it is - the employer might believe that you will eventually start coming to work dressed like Roger Moore in a velvet smoking jacket.

REMEMBER WHAT BEAU BRUMMEL SAID:
Friend: "I know a man that is so well dressed that when he passes in the street, people turn to look at him,"
Beau Brummel : "Then he, sir, is not well dressed,"

If an interviewer is wondering why a 21 year old graduate has a Patek Philippe or a five-pointed pocket square, then you've done something wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7775
Anyone wearing shorts today ? , I didn't actually feel all that out of place given the awesome weather
Original post by Clip
Unfortunately, these kind of things do make a difference. How you dress is not relative to a fixed moment in time, and does relate to current fashions and also your age - as well as the job. Although you might think you are looking smart, the person employing you might think there is a problem.

Current trends:

This is the most important one. Time was where all men wore hats. They don't anymore. If you went to an interview with a fedora on, it doesn't matter that no-one would have given you a second glance in 1950. They will now, and will probably not think that you have a problem with attention-seeking or are just odd. Bracers are another one. Once they were ok, now they're all about the 1980s. This is much easier to explain in context of womens' fashion. Not so very long ago, women would go to work wearing seamed stockings. Today, what used to be absolutely normal is for a variety of reasons considered more akin to a sex uniform, and interviewing wearing seams will probably get you a big X from HR.

Like it or not, some things do vary with your age. It's perfectly normal to see an 18 year old in a suit. But it's not normal to see an 18 year old with an elaborately folded pocket square. Can you see how a 20 year old and a 40 year old applying for the same job might be viewed completely differently for having that same embellishment? On pocket squares at interviews, I would say - if you are under 25, tread with extreme caution. If you must must do it - do it plain white and folded minimally with one point or horizontal.

Job:

If wearing a suit is not part of the job, then I would say there's much less problem. However, if it is - the employer might believe that you will eventually start coming to work dressed like Roger Moore in a velvet smoking jacket.

Friend: "I know a man that is so well dressed that when he passes in the street, people turn to look at him,"

If an interviewer is wondering why a 21 year old graduate has a Patek Philippe or a five-pointed pocket square, then you've done something wrong.

Some excellent points there. Trends and age do play a big factor in what people deem acceptable standards of dress.

Original post by cgvince
Anyone wearing shorts today ? , I didn't actually feel all that out of place given the awesome weather

If I wasn't in an office, most definitely.
Reply 7777
Just bought these...
http://www.room14menswear.co.uk/prod-clae-russell-charcoal-leathersuede-hi-top-boots.php

Not as nice in person, look a bit like space man boots haha, as its more one block colour than i thought it would be :frown:

Anyway if you were too wear these, how many holes down would you stop lacing up...3?

Thanks
Reply 7778
Original post by pinouche13
I didn't know that! I thought they were nice but I've never tried them.

For very different kind of stuff but to make an estimation, I'll need it about 3 times a month. I would love to have it but I can't afford it.. and yes I'm only going to have one suit. What would you advice me? (dark blue, grey) Your tips are useful.

What is it you will be needing the suit for though? And what is the weather likely to be where you are? Without that is is pretty tough to direct you.
If you need a very versatile suit your standard, quality, navy suit will be the best one to go for.

:facepalm2: What a tool. I've never understood how wearing nice things or looking after yourself makes someone flashy etc :rolleyes:

Original post by Clip

Current trends:

This is the most important one. Time was where all men wore hats. They don't anymore. If you went to an interview with a fedora on, it doesn't matter that no-one would have given you a second glance in 1950. They will now, and will probably not think that you have a problem with attention-seeking or are just odd. Bracers are another one. Once they were ok, now they're all about the 1980s. This is much easier to explain in context of womens' fashion. Not so very long ago, women would go to work wearing seamed stockings. Today, what used to be absolutely normal is for a variety of reasons considered more akin to a sex uniform, and interviewing wearing seams will probably get you a big X from HR.

Job:

The part about the watch (which normally goes with a pen as well) always bugs me. If someone has an expensive watch or an expensive watch and the manager/interviewee doesn't then why the ****ing hell should it bother them? It is a watch and a pen ffs :facepalm2:
Reply 7779
What's the opinion on tie-pin for an interview?
I think I remember reading somewhere that it should be used in an interview to help keep your tie in place and look neat.

Latest

Trending

Trending