The Male 'Fashion' Thread II

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone recommend anything for:

Herringbone trousers, I'm thinking grey
    Tweed sports jacket
    Corduroy shirts

Clothes to fit 6 foot with 30 inch waist, 33 leg. Not too expensive as I'm on a budget but decent quality.

edit: shoes I will be wearing: black oxfords, black suede desert shoes, brown suede shoes (not sure of style, they are quite smart but not work shoes), blue suede adidas trainers ( i like suede)
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinouche13)
    Hi all,

I'm going to buy a suit after July when i get paid

I'll have a budget of about 600 euros for the suit without the accessories. Do you have any brand suggestions? I very much like this one: http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/shop/...sted-suit.html but it's a thousand pounds... Some from Hugo Boss look good but I would like to have a lot of suggestions since it would be quite a big spending.

Also do you think the price is likely to be cheaper in stores than in their website? Surely that would be easier to have a price in stores and I'm not going to buy a suit on internet.

Thanks!
    Don't go near a Hugo Boss suit, they are amongst the worst suits for their price out there and are usually used as a barometer of what not to get.

What is it you need a suit for?

As for the suit you posted, in real life it is light grey with a dark navy windowpane. It is an incredibly nice suit, far and away my favourite of the season, however the cloth is incredibly light so if it is the only suit you are going to have/going to use it a lot/are heavily built especially in the thighs then I would avoid it as you will wear through it rapidly.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard about these guys? http://www.stylegun.com/?utm_source=...udience%2Basos

Saw an advert on facebook and couldn't resist clicking. Targeted advertising at its best. Claim their "bodymap" will revolutionise mens fashion :facepalm2:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxygen49)
    Starting at one of the big 4 in september and the dress code is business casual - naturally I will be wearing a suit etc when needs be but the definition of business casual itself seems confusing. I did an internship in the same office, and admittedly most weren't very stylish, and they wore anything from an unbuttoned and rolled sleeve shirt with suit trousers to a full suit.

Do you think an outfit such as a tweedy jacket, button down oxford, smart dark chinos and loafers/brogues would constitute business casual?
    I don't know if it differs that much, but you're expected to be quite conservative in law firms. I'd dress slightly smarter than you need when you begin, and then play it by ear.

As a general rule, the more senior you go the more flexibility there is, but for us at least the juniors are expected to look very sharp. I would generally avoid fashion options and stick to M&S etc., at least while your'e a junior.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Starting at one of the big 4 in september and the dress code is business casual - naturally I will be wearing a suit etc when needs be but the definition of business casual itself seems confusing. I did an internship in the same office, and admittedly most weren't very stylish, and they wore anything from an unbuttoned and rolled sleeve shirt with suit trousers to a full suit.

Do you think an outfit such as a tweedy jacket, button down oxford, smart dark chinos and loafers/brogues would constitute business casual?
    Realistically no, acceptable business casual will be jacket shirt, trousers & shoes in business appropriate style (not tweed, chinos are barely passable but I'd avoid, loafers aren't business anything).

Button down oxfords are fine, but just get some suits as (dependent on department) you'll be expected to travel to clients sites and they will have differing dress codes also.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    Anyone heard about these guys? http://www.stylegun.com/?utm_source=...udience%2Basos

Saw an advert on facebook and couldn't resist clicking. Targeted advertising at its best. Claim their "bodymap" will revolutionise mens fashion :facepalm2:
    I thought by 'body map' it meant one of those scanners like in Brooks Brothers, were you walk in and it measure you using some sort of lasers or something.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    just bought this for £18
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:

I would call that business casual. The problem is that someone else might not. I know at least one firm that thinks it means just that, and others that think it means "you don't have to wear a tie with your suit".

Personally I think it's a terrible term which they should give you guidance on. I would email HR and ask for specifics. Failing that, dress business normal, you can always adjust downward.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know where I can get some good cheap desert boots?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Clarks make the best desert boots, unless you wanna splash out on Acne/Common Projects..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://store.americanapparel.co.uk/r...ml?cid=172-364

What do people think of these?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdawe)
    http://store.americanapparel.co.uk/r...ml?cid=172-364

What do people think of these?
    High waisted or what. Simon is that you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha that's true, I just liked the design on the trousers - I'm sure they could be worn lower?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdawe)
    Haha that's true, I just liked the design on the trousers - I'm sure they could be worn lower?
    I think you should wear them even higher, they could pass off as dungarees if you added a few straps.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Topman seem to be updating there sale pretty frequently, just bought this for a pretty good price - £14, opinions ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shawl.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	134423
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Don't go near a Hugo Boss suit, they are amongst the worst suits for their price out there and are usually used as a barometer of what not to get.

What is it you need a suit for?

As for the suit you posted, in real life it is light grey with a dark navy windowpane. It is an incredibly nice suit, far and away my favourite of the season, however the cloth is incredibly light so if it is the only suit you are going to have/going to use it a lot/are heavily built especially in the thighs then I would avoid it as you will wear through it rapidly.
    I didn't know that! I thought they were nice but I've never tried them.

For very different kind of stuff but to make an estimation, I'll need it about 3 times a month. I would love to have it but I can't afford it.. and yes I'm only going to have one suit. What would you advice me? (dark blue, grey) Your tips are useful.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of suits for interviews, a young guy came in today for an interview wearing a pocket square and the manager interviewing him was like "What a tosser, who does he think he is with that hankie" I loled and said he's talking to the wrong guy (I was wearing one myself). Never really thought about how it might look to an interviewer, don't think i'd care personally. So, is it pretentious to wear to an interview? Best to stick a basic suit, nothing too flashy?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of suits for interviews, a young guy came in today for an interview wearing a pocket square and the manager interviewing him was like "What a tosser, who does he think he is with that hankie" I loled and said he's talking to the wrong guy (I was wearing one myself). Never really thought about how it might look to an interviewer, don't think i'd care personally. So, is it pretentious to wear to an interview? Best to stick a basic suit, nothing too flashy?
    You wouldn't care what your potential employer's first impression of you was? I wouldn't think anything of it but it is completely unnecessary in an interview.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that it's best not to risk appearing too flash in an interview, as you don't know what your interviewer's attitude is towards sartorial style. So pocket squares, power ties, shirts with contrast collar and cuffs, flashy cufflinks and braces are all off limits imo. You only get one chance to make a first impression and dressing like Gordon Gekko for a graduate job certainly wouldn't get you far :P.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vodking)
    I'd say that it's best not to risk appearing too flash in an interview, as you don't know what your interviewer's attitude is towards sartorial style. So pocket squares, power ties, shirts with contrast collar and cuffs, flashy cufflinks and braces are all off limits imo. You only get one chance to make a first impression and dressing like Gordon Gekko for a graduate job certainly wouldn't get you far :P.
    I guess that's my way of thinking as well, i've just never considered it being an issue really until that guy today. Some people (mostly women) have the point of view though that your outfit should be flashy so they remember you.

(Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    You wouldn't care what your potential employer's first impression of you was? I wouldn't think anything of it but it is completely unnecessary in an interview.
    No i'm saying I wouldn't care as an interviewer. As an interviewee i'd be bricking my pants.
Updated: May 30, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.