The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by freefrag
Black/Asian people can pull it off quite easily

+ Tony Montana
Reply 8341
Im going to a house party on friday and ive completely re-done my wardbrobe with new clothes for spring/summer,Im going to wear my burgundy skinny jeans which i bought a couple weeks ago

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=138600

Would my white hollister polo shirt go with the jeans ? , or should i just stick to the light blue oxford shirt i was planning on wearing

Reply 8342
Original post by Naked and Famous
When is it appropriate to wear a white casual jacket? Because I've read stuff about wearing white tuxedos only between may and september.

When you're the conductor of a swing band in the 1920s.
Original post by py0alb
When you're the conductor of a swing band in the 1920s.

i agree with this just dont do it dont wear it
Reply 8344
Original post by cgvince
Im going to a house party on friday and ive completely re-done my wardbrobe with new clothes for spring/summer,Im going to wear my burgundy skinny jeans which i bought a couple weeks ago

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=138600

Would my white hollister polo shirt go with the jeans ? , or should i just stick to the light blue oxford shirt i was planning on wearing

If you must insist on wearing pink girl's jeans, then you could combine it with worse things than a white polo shirt I suppose.
Hey Guys,
I've recently lost a lot of weight (almost 4 stone at the moment) and am planning on losing another stone and a half before going to uni in September. That will take me to about 12.5 stone. Problem is everything in my wardrobe is too big for me. I'm planning on spending about a grand on completely redoing my wardrobe. Where should I start and what would be the best way to get value for money.
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Hey Guys,
I've recently lost a lot of weight (almost 4 stone at the moment) and am planning on losing another stone and a half before going to uni in September. That will take me to about 12.5 stone. Problem is everything in my wardrobe is too big for me. I'm planning on spending about a grand on completely redoing my wardrobe. Where should I start and what would be the best way to get value for money.

If I were you I'd definitely try and get to my stable weight at least for a few months before completely revamping my wardrobe. You don't want to find that after half a year or so everything is too big or too small again.

In the mean time I would buy some cheap basics that fit well and layer them over each other to make a more interesting look (plain/stripey t shirt over cardigan/hoodie), and get a pair of cheap jeans that fit well. Also use this time to figure what you like stylewise and what suits you, theres nothing worse than spending a **** load of money on one item an then realising a few months later that you never wear it.

When you do reach a stable weight I'd say build up your wardrobe gradually, that way youll get better bargains from sales (watch out for online bargains and use coupons), and your less likely to buy a load of stuff you dont really like.

Best places to get good value for students (assuming your late teens/early twenties) i'd say is topman sales, h&m, primark (if your careful) and eBay (if you know the sizing and you know what you want)

TL: DR version:

Wait for sales
Dont buy too much at once
Make sure your a stable weight before you spend **** loads
Reply 8347
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Hey Guys,

Spend money on a couple of decent pairs of shoes (£50-100) and a couple of high quality coats (£100-200) that will last you a lifetime. Other than that, spending big money (ie more than £50) on individual items is generally a waste of money. Buy a range of well fitting trousers in different materials (eg denim, cotton, linen, wool), a couple of pairs of knee length shorts, a load of polo shirts and long sleeve button up shirts in different colours, and a variety of sweaters (v-neck, round neck, zip neck, hooded, in order of decreasing formality). Avoid well-known "fashionable" brands as the quality/price ratio will be significantly lower than lesser known makes. Also avoid buying into short-lived trends that will be passe in 6 months time, and buy good quality classic styles instead.
Reply 8348
Recently bought:

This cardigan:

These shorts:

As well as a bunch of tee shirts I can't find online and can't be arsed to photograph.

Mess.
miao

Spoiler

Reply 8349
I hope you wouldn't wear those shorts in the company of small children
Original post by paddy
x

Hey, just wondering where you got the first six from? :smile:
Reply 8351
Original post by py0alb
I hope you wouldn't wear those shorts in the company of small children

I wasn't planning on wearing them like that no :h:

Original post by spacepirate-James
Hey, just wondering where you got the first six from? :smile:

First 5 are from Banana Republic, number 6 is from Reiss. The first 3 are actually on sale now too.
Original post by paddy
The first 3 are actually on sale now too.

:colone:
Reply 8353
Original post by paddy
I wasn't planning on wearing them like that no :h:

First 5 are from Banana Republic, number 6 is from Reiss. The first 3 are actually on sale now too.

Like a lot of the stuff you bought.
Might go for number 3 :colone:
Reply 8354
Original post by kuks
Like a lot of the stuff you bought.
Might go for number 3 :colone:

With Banana Republic I'd advise sizing down tbh. I'd normally be a medium elsewhere but I find a size small is the better size for me in BR.
Reply 8355
Oh I also bought these from ASOS. I know the ASOS brand can be hit-and-miss but I liked them so I thought they'd be worth a try at least (haven't received them yet).

Also vests. Not posting pictures because I'm pretty sure you can use your imagination.
Reply 8356
Original post by paddy
With Banana Republic I'd advise sizing down tbh. I'd normally be a medium elsewhere but I find a size small is the better size for me in BR.

Cheers. I have a really weird size where medium is normally small for me and large becomes really baggy around my underarms so I'll probably get it in medium.
Reply 8357
Original post by paddy
Oh I also bought these from ASOS. I know the ASOS brand can be hit-and-miss but I liked them so I thought they'd be worth a try at least (haven't received them yet).

Also vests. Not posting pictures because I'm pretty sure you can use your imagination.

Your back!!!

Came into your store I think, on Kings road, about two weeks ago, quite a good sales collection!
Reply 8358
Original post by Peachz
Your back!!!

Came into your store I think, on Kings road, about two weeks ago, quite a good sales collection!

I was probably not there, I went on holiday to do my dissertation around the same time as sale started.

The sale was alright, better when the further mark downs came round last week though. I bought an absolute ****-tonne of stuff, mostly tee shirts and the like for summer; they usually have pretty nice ones in their heritage range, and I bought a load for around £5-£7 each with my discount :colone:

The new collection is coming in this week too :holmes:
Reply 8359
Original post by paddy

Do you know how long the sale will last on the BR website. Not in the country so won't be able to order for a couple of weeks....

Latest