The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8460

Thoughts? They're a good quality fake btw :o:
Reply 8461
Evening chaps, I'm looking for some shoes similar to these for preferably £40 or under...

image1xxl.jpg

Cheers in advance!
Reply 8462
Original post by fletchdd02
Totally agree on the recent 'chaviness' of certain Ralph Lauren lines. I do like their classic button down Oxford's though, really good fit.

Would you agree with me that if you were going to buy the Big Pony RL polo shirts you are just as good to buy a £20 fake from eBay as they're made in the same place out of the same material with the same hideously obnoxious logo emblazoned on the breast!

Well yes I would agree. I would suggest that in general, fake anythings are probably actually going to have a better quality/price ratio that the "real thing".

Of course you're better off just getting nicely styled, good quality unbranded clothes, but most people don't appear to know what that looks like and just play it safe by buying something expensive and branded instead.
Original post by Mess.
I do quite like the look of the shoes even if they aren't my own personal style and the shirts don't look too bad, never tried one myself so couldn't comment on the fit etc.

Going for a meal and drinks tonight. Wearing:
Dark green suede derby's - John White
Indigo jeans - Zara
Dark brown belt - Gieves and Hawkes
A farmer check brown/blue/red shirt - Tommy Hilfigher
Blue herringbone sports jacket - Gieves and Hawkes

I feel like the jacket is about half an inch too long which ages it a bit but I don't really have the funds to be spending £15-£25 on shortening it atm :colondollar:

I think there are 2/3 posters who pop in on an irregular basis who like hitops pretty much everyone else doesn't like them :dontknow:

Zara do mens stuff?:eek:
Original post by kuks

Thoughts? They're a good quality fake btw :o:

Are you that desperate to get a brand you'll take a fake?
I'm in the market for a decent chambray material shirt to add to my wardrobe but I've only got the budget for one (probably around the £100 mark). Which one would you go for, and is there anything else similar from another brand around this price point?:

Our Legacy (ignore ridiculous trousers)

Gitman Vintage
Original post by tsnake23
I'm in the market for a decent chambray material shirt to add to my wardrobe but I've only got the budget for one (probably around the £100 mark). Which one would you go for, and is there anything else similar from another brand around this price point?:

Gitman Vintage

model needs a haircut.
Original post by gearoid94
x

They really are quite odd. No idea where you can find them except maybe some random "vintage" store? I had a pair of similar shoes when I was a bit younger, sold them cause I couldn't pair them any clothes that looked good :dontknow:
Reply 8468
Original post by checkolad
Are you that desperate to get a brand you'll take a fake?

I really don't give 2 ****s what brand I buy. I buy what I like...I don't really care what brand it is or is not.

e: Also there isn't much choice available where I stay in terms of brands. Pretty much only have Zara.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8469
Original post by tsnake23

Gitman Vintage

First one looks very nice, I'd definitely vote that one.

J Crew also do decent chambray shirts, Mr Porter stocks a few I think. Also Fred Perry if you want it a bit cheaper.
Reply 8470
Aw man, button down collar shirts just remind me of a 40 year old American middle manager at a corporate barbecue. There's just something so ugly and repressive about them.
Reply 8471
Original post by py0alb
Aw man, button down collar shirts just remind me of a 40 year old American middle manager at a corporate barbecue. There's just something so ugly and repressive about them.

I'm curious, what do you actually wear as you seem to take issue with virtually everything posted here?
Reply 8472
Original post by Vodking
I'm curious, what do you actually wear as you seem to take issue with virtually everything posted here?

The only things I have a problem with (or at least would prefer not to wear myself) are:

dropcrotch trousers
brightly coloured "look at me everyone" chinos
clothes with big visible brands
t-shirts with slogans or ugly graphics
extreme formality combinations eg suit jacket + jeans or shorts + leather shoes
clothes at inappropriate times eg woolly hats or scarves in the summer
short shorts
button down collar shirts
plunge neck t-shirts
"humorous" ties

I'm sure most people hear hate most of those things. That still leaves an awful lot of clothing styles.
Reply 8474
Original post by py0alb
The only things I have a problem with (or at least would prefer not to wear myself) are:

dropcrotch trousers
short shorts
plunge neck t-shirts
"humorous" ties

I'm sure most people hear hate most of those things. That still leaves an awful lot of clothing styles.

I agree with all of those except:

Button down collar shirts - Great for casual/smart casual outfits. Wouldn't wear them with a suit or a tie (except knitted ties).

Brightly coloured chinos (obviously as long as they're in a nice cut and are worn with well-selected other colours. I despise the "schweffe" look where bright pink or red chinos are combined with brown tweed jackets.)

Short shorts - How short is short? They look distinctly better when they are cut slightly above the knee.
Reply 8475
Anyone know where you can get boots like this:

http://www.asos.com/H-By-Hudson/H-By-Hudson-Yorke-Leather-Strap-Suede-Boots/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1139542&cid=5774&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=-1&sort=2&clr=Black

I like the style, but cant find other boots like that, and have checked barrets, mr shoes, river island.

:confused:
Reply 8476
Original post by Marlo Stanfield

No. You are not Marlon Brando. This goes doubley if you're skinny.

Need advice on versatile smart-casual light (beiges etc) jacket. Anyone got ideas? Found some really nice Racing Green harrington jackets down to £30 in House of Fraser but the waistband was too high. Price range is up to £100 max.
Original post by Scipio
No. You are not Marlon Brando. This goes doubley if you're skinny.

Thanks for the advice pal.
Reply 8478
Original post by py0alb

dropcrotch trousers
short shorts
plunge neck t-shirts
"humorous" ties

No leather shoes with shorts?

So that rules out; most trainers, brogues, loafers, suede shoes, driving shoes?
Reply 8479
Original post by py0alb

dropcrotch trousers
short shorts
plunge neck t-shirts
"humorous" ties

Shorts with leather shoes? I don't know I don't see why you shouldn't be able to dress up shorts, I mean I'm not suggesting wearing them as a suit or to a formal event, but to a bar in summer? Why not.

The rest I agree with, although with chinos it depends on the colour.

Original post by vn2009
Anyone know where you can get boots like this:

http://www.asos.com/H-By-Hudson/H-By-Hudson-Yorke-Leather-Strap-Suede-Boots/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1139542&cid=5774&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=-1&sort=2&clr=Black

I like the style, but cant find other boots like that, and have checked barrets, mr shoes, river island.

:confused:

What's stopping you from getting that pair?

Latest