The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd do it but lack the motivation/time to keep writing. I'll keep an eye on your blog though.

Anyone remember the last time some of us tried to start up a blog? I think paddy you were in on that. Wasn't long until the enthusiasm ran out. I haven't checked in months but i'm pretty sure it's dead.

Payday for me on Monday, can't wait :colone:

Mess you noob use Google Chrome -> Translate!
Reply 9181
Original post by py0alb
I find most men's style blogs are a bit like that. Their advice is always either

a) far more formal than is relevent to 99% of situations. I know that dressing up is sometimes nice, but I'm really not going to wear a 3 piece suit to the pub on a Friday night.

b) completely outre. Its all very well if you live in the meat packing district, but when walking around Bullwell High St in a top hat you just look like a ponce.

c) just follows the latest teenage fashions, which is surely defying the entire point of what someone who would look for ideas on a style blog might want?

d) fashion blog cliche. Have you noticed how they all give the same advice? Don't do this, do do that. Some of it is sound advice, some of it isn't. I swear they all just copy each other.

It would be nice to have an anti-blog blog, like the men's style equivalent of cookinglager.blogspot.com

Completely agreed. I read them for the general advice but most of it is completely useless and pretty much nonsense. There needs to be something out there written for someone on an average wage who still wants to wear stylish things without looking like he is wearing fancy dress.
Reply 9182
Original post by Tokyoround
I'd do it but lack the motivation/time to keep writing. I'll keep an eye on your blog though.

Anyone remember the last time some of us tried to start up a blog? I think paddy you were in on that. Wasn't long until the enthusiasm ran out. I haven't checked in months but i'm pretty sure it's dead.

Payday for me on Monday, can't wait :colone:

Mess you noob use Google Chrome -> Translate!

:awesome: I shall do!

--------------------------

For anyone to answer :h:

I have found a place in Liverpool that sells new (old season) Zegna suits for between £350 and £420. Is this cheaper than what I could find in Bicester outlet?
A place also sells Cheaney and Allen Edmonds shoes for £175. Is this a well known cheap last or is this guy just offering old season stock?
Reply 9183
If anyone is on reddit r/malefashionadvice is decent too. They tend to have a hive mind for certain things, but some of the starter kits are really good.
Reply 9184
Original post by Mess.
How do I translate it in to English? Complete internet fail on my part :facepalm2:

This place is fine for posting it :yy: You could post it in the bloggers thread as well :yep:

You should use Chrome. Or go with google translate page :wink:

(I'll find the bloggers thread as well!)

Where is it, i can't find it !!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9185
Original post by Mess.
Completely agreed. I read them for the general advice but most of it is completely useless and pretty much nonsense. There needs to be something out there written for someone on an average wage who still wants to wear stylish things without looking like he is wearing fancy dress.

I think you could probably summarise all the useful style advice on the internet onto a single piece of A4 paper, and even then I think there still wouldn't be a single thing that everyone agreed on.
Reply 9186
Original post by Mess.
How do I translate it in to English? Complete internet fail on my part :facepalm2:

This place is fine for posting it :yy: You could post it in the bloggers thread as well :yep:

Just look at the pretty pictures.
Reply 9187
Original post by JD.27
Never brought vans before but got these as a gift, wondering what to wear with them, never had shoes this colour:
http://yuppieliving.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/vans_blue201.jpg

Anyone...
Reply 9188
Original post by JD.27
Anyone...

A basic tabacco chino/ chambray shirt / leather bracelet / .... :smile:
Reply 9189
Original post by Mess.
I must admit I really dislike that one even if it is seen as the top mens blog by pretty much everyone and every menswear blogger. It seems very old fashioned and very set in its ways. I used to read it a lot but it began to bore me.

I feel that there needs to be more menswear blogs that show you how to do the expensive styles for more reasonable prices without the quality being too compromised.

The problem I've found is that 'reasonable price' means very different things to different people. I remember when I first came to university in London and I thought everything was so expensive :mmm:

I don't really have the patience to follow fashion blogs, I just constantly browse shops and online shops, my fashion knowledge just happens through osmosis I guess :dontknow:

Original post by Tom_Sg
Anyone would be interested in "fashion writing" on a menswear (lifestyle incoming maybe) blog? :smile:

I'm just looking for one man, we're already two, my friend is going to Shanghai next year and his learning chinese/knows chinese. I wanted to keep the french touch, but i'd like to have an english version, I could handle it, but I prefer to find another ppl (I prefer from London but it doesnt really matter.)

/Pm me if you think you have the same taste than us.

http://credoinunumfashion.wordpress.com

If it's not the right place, dear moderator feel free to edit it :smile:

I don't really have the patience to write for a blog (as Tokyoaround remembers :mmm:) but I'd be happy to help you out with your English and proof reading or as an ideas guy. Actually writing is just too much like having homework for my tastes!

Original post by py0alb
I find most men's style blogs are a bit like that. Their advice is always either

a) far more formal than is relevent to 99% of situations. I know that dressing up is sometimes nice, but I'm really not going to wear a 3 piece suit to the pub on a Friday night.

b) completely outre. Its all very well if you live in the meat packing district, but when walking around Bullwell High St in a top hat you just look like a ponce.

c) just follows the latest teenage fashions, which is surely defying the entire point of what someone who would look for ideas on a style blog might want?

d) fashion blog cliche. Have you noticed how they all give the same advice? Don't do this, do do that. Some of it is sound advice, some of it isn't. I swear they all just copy each other.

It would be nice to have an anti-blog blog, like the men's style equivalent of cookinglager.blogspot.com

I'd quite like to do something a bit like a fashion photo blog, just posting photos with links of clothes I like that are new/'on-trend'. I'm not really comfortable giving unsolicited advice so anything like that would be done on a Q&A/letters to the editor sort of basis.

I might start a fashion tumblr after my exams are done :holmes:
Reply 9190
I was bored to waste my time on e-shop and reading other fashion blog, I started my own fashion tumblr : http://credoinunumfashion.tumblr.com

Then I wanted more, that's why I started my blog with a friend, I know articles are not released every two-days, but we don't hesitate to answer to e-mail, comments, or anything, we're glad to help, pictures are coming (I bought the fujifilm X10 and now i've to decide which case to get, i've already ordered one from Honk-Kong, but i've already found 3 others that I want specially a vintage one hand-painted :

Original post by paddy

I don't really have the patience to write for a blog (as Tokyoaround remembers :mmm:) but I'd be happy to help you out with your English and proof reading or as an ideas guy. Actually writing is just too much like having homework for my tastes!

I keep that offer in my head!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9191
Original post by Tom_Sg
I was bored to waste my time on e-shop and reading other fashion blog, I started my own fashion tumblr : http://credoinunumfashion.tumblr.com

Then I wanted more, that's why I started my blog with a friend, I know articles are not released every two-days, but we don't hesitate to answer to e-mail, comments, or anything, we're glad to help, pictures are coming (I bought the fujifilm X10 and now i've to decide which case to get, i've already ordered one from Honk-Kong, but i've already found 3 others that I want specially a vintage one hand-painted :

I keep that offer in my head!

The clothes you like are all very nice, they're just nothing that I would ever actually wear outside of a fancy dress party. They look like the costumes from The Dead Poet's Society

Page 6, top right.

Name. NOW. :mob:
Reply 9193
Original post by py0alb
The clothes you like are all very nice, they're just nothing that I would ever actually wear outside of a fancy dress party. They look like the costumes from The Dead Poet's Society

I really don't want to be 'boastful" (? ok im trying to be the more clear that i can with my "english" ... im learning every day, be cool with that!) but lot of people at uni say that i'm "smart/posh" (i think everyone around me know that im French) because I don't care about wearing colors or sport jackets (I love that ...)
I think its totally wearable a simple PS, with DB or Brogues shoes + sport jackets / shirt without going to your workplace or to a "fancy dress" party ^^
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9194
Original post by Tom_Sg
I really don't want to be 'boastful" (? ok im trying to be the more clear that i can with my "english" ... im learning every day, be cool with that!) but lot of people at uni say that i'm "smart/posh" (i think everyone around me know that im French) because I don't care about wearing colors or sport jackets (I love that ...)
I think its totally wearable a simple PS, with DB or Brogues shoes + sport jackets / shirt without going to your workplace or to a "fancy dress" party ^^

Your style appears to be English preppy (regular US preppy typically being a bit more casual, but not as much as frat), a particular stylistic sub-genre that is rather common at the moment, not really any different from other subgenres such as chav or goth or emo except it generally costs you more money in clothing.

Its also related to the neo-Edwardian wave that we're seeing at the moment. Its got a bit cliched now if you ask me, every ****ing hipster in East London has taken to wearing brightly coloured trousers a trilby and a blazer.
Reply 9195
I didn't mean that to come across as snidey as it sounded
Reply 9196
Original post by py0alb
Your style appears to be English preppy (regular US preppy typically being a bit more casual, but not as much as frat), a particular stylistic sub-genre that is rather common at the moment, not really any different from other subgenres such as chav or goth or emo except it generally costs you more money in clothing.

Its also related to the neo-Edwardian wave that we're seeing at the moment. Its got a bit cliched now if you ask me, every ****ing hipster in East London has taken to wearing brightly coloured trousers a trilby and a blazer.

As i'm not in London .. i couldn't know, and from France even in Paris is not really common that's why i was saying that! I know that my style around London or HK will be really common!

I've googled "chav" and this "trend" is common since ... ages :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
Not sure if serious...

1. the polo and hood around the neck looks far to busy and distracts from the face, looks convoluted and silly and childish

2. the polo is a less formal replacement for a shirt. the way to think of it is: could i replace this outfit with a shirt? if the answer is yes, the polo will work. so, you could wear it with chinos, jeans, a blazer, etc. You wouldn't wear a shirt with a hoodie, you wouldn't wear a polo with a hoodie.

3. polos are supposed to worn on sunny days, you don't need to wear a coat on a sunny day, or a hoodie

4. polos are supposed to make you look masculine and muscular, hoodies make you look lumpy, what's the point of the polo lol

5. polos on the whole, look pretty sartorially inelegant unless the prep look is done well. the hoodie is not a part of the prep look.

One and two are the most salient points.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by py0alb

people who wear trilby's know nothing about anything
Reply 9199
Original post by jayne.corr
1. the polo and hood around the neck looks far to busy and distracts from the face, looks convoluted and silly and childish

disagree entirely

2. the polo is a less formal replacement for a shirt. the way to think of it is: could i replace this outfit with a shirt? if the answer is yes, the polo will work. so, you could wear it with chinos, jeans, a blazer, etc. You wouldn't wear a shirt with a hoodie, you wouldn't wear a polo with a hoodie.

Plain wrong. this argument is just illogical. a t-shirt is a less formal replacement of a shirt, now apply the same argument.

No-one in their right mind would wear a polo shirt with a blazer. You'd look like Roger Federer.

3. polos are supposed to worn on sunny days, you don't need to wear a coat on a sunny day, or a hoodie

Firstly, this is rubbish. To say nothing of, what happens when a sunny day turns into a chilly evening? Do you go home and get changed?

4. polos are supposed to make you look masculine and muscular, hoodies make you look lumpy, what's the point of the polo lol

more rubbish

5. polos on the whole, look pretty sartorially inelegant unless the prep look is done well. the hoodie is not a part of the prep look.

more rubbish.

No salient points 0/10

Latest