The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencers Trainee Management Scheme 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just got confirmation for 11th July at the Oxford Street store in London. Should be good.

Was surprised because they say they do a phone interview first, but I didn't get that. Did anyone else?

Also does anyone know what kind of scenarios and tasks to expect? They've given a brief summary of the overall sort of tasks but not any details on what exactly they will entail.
Reply 21
Original post by Wizz09
Just got confirmation for 11th July at the Oxford Street store in London. Should be good.

Was surprised because they say they do a phone interview first, but I didn't get that. Did anyone else?

Also does anyone know what kind of scenarios and tasks to expect? They've given a brief summary of the overall sort of tasks but not any details on what exactly they will entail.

Good point, no I never had a phone interview...they say they will ring before the assessment day to confirm but nothing about an interview then. Maybe they'll slip in some questions though?

Hopefully once people have had their assessment they might post in here. The earliest (at least of those here) is the 27th of June. I'll try to do some digging see if I can find any info on it. Though it may vary from centre to centre.
Reply 22
I was pleasantly surprised not to have a phone interview either. Can't complain :biggrin:

I have a few ideas of what to expect but don't want to reveal too much... :colondollar:
Just out of interest do any of you guys already work for M&S?
Reply 23
I've been doing some digging and looking around, there's not a huge amount about the A-Level scheme, but from what I can gather, the assessment day is quite similar to the graduate scheme. Can't wait for it.

And nope, I've never worked in M&S, or anywhere else for that matter.

Did any of you guys genuinely consider going to uni before applying for this, or had you already made up your minds that you weren't going to go?
Hi, just found out I have an assessment day on the 27th June in Altrincham... can't wait, but I'm sooo nervous!!

Anyone else going to Altrincham? And I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find a list of all the training stores? I forgot them :frown:

x
Reply 25
I think the assessment centres between the two schemes probably have quite a few similiarities.

I do already work for M&S which is why I wanted to apply in the first place. My experience of working for them has been really great and they are a fantastic company to work for.
I genuinely did consider going to uni, but I love work too much and I know that I would hate it if I went to uni.
Reply 26
Ahh cool, I take it you work part time?

Have you ever had people at your store who have been there as part of their trainee management scheme?
Reply 27
Yep I currently work part time, although I've been working any hours they'll give me at the minute! :biggrin:

I haven't known anyone personally who has done it at my store, mainly because I don't think it's one of the training stores for the scheme anymore. However, several of my colleagues knew people who have done it there in the past. The main thing they said was that they all enjoyed it but it is really, really hard work and that some of them couldn't cope with the workload. I don't know whether this is a bit of an exaggeration but at the end of the day I'm not afraid of a bit of hard work :biggrin:

There are currently several trainee managers at my store however, and they are really great to talk to as I imagine their experiences are similar to what ours could potentially be. At the moment, they're just working on every different section in the store to get a feel for working at M&S
Reply 28
Ahh... I'm going to the Swindon assessment centre on Monday and I'm pretty nervous about it. Does anyone have any idea what it'll entail? I understand that there will be an interview and "three management exercises", but I don't know what those'll be.
Reply 29
Original post by Skoji
Ahh... I'm going to the Swindon assessment centre on Monday and I'm pretty nervous about it. Does anyone have any idea what it'll entail? I understand that there will be an interview and "three management exercises", but I don't know what those'll be.

There was a document linked to in the email confirming your place, with some info, doesn't go into much detail but it gives a rough idea.
Reply 30
Original post by Skoji

Yeah I'm nervous too, but also pretty excited at the same time :biggrin:

I've been doing a bit of digging and gathering information at work, and have managed to speak to people who have done the scheme or been to the assessment centre for it. From what I gather, the exercises will probably vary but here a few things I've been told.

- One-on-one excercise where the assessor takes on the role of an employee and we are their manager. We have to give an appraisal kind of thing and give feedback on their performance etc.

- Group exercise where we are given a ficticious store and we have to decide where in the store we would place certain products and why.

- Group exercise where we are given a ficticious store and certain products and we have to decide whether it would be a good idea to sell them in the store, whether they would fit in with the company etc.

- Interview - Lots of questions about what would make you good for the job, where you've given good customer service etc, all the basic questions you would expect really.

Ok, so this is some of what I've found out so far, but like I said, I think it will vary quite a bit.
Reply 31
Ok, cool, thanks. Another question - how many people on average turn up to the day? And, if at all possible, does anyone know how many places are available?
Reply 32
Thanks Viole, that's immensely helpful.

Another thing I've heard from a lot of people about Assessment centres in general is that you have to remember that your not in direct competition with those at your assessment centre, so don't get overly aggressive and/or try to knock other participants to try and boost your standing. It can be the case that all of the people from the assessment centre get accepted, rejected, or anywhere in between.

Not to sure about the places - they probably have a soft cap on the amount they take, rather than a fixed number.

Absolutely cannot wait for mine.
Reply 33
Just over a week to go for mine...kind of scary
Reply 34
Everyone I have spoken to said that there was about 8 people at their asessment centre. I have no idea how many people they will take. I'll try and find out :colondollar:
Another thing I've heard from a lot of people about Assessment centres in general is that you have to remember that your not in direct competition with those at your assessment centre, so don't get overly aggressive and/or try to knock other participants to try and boost your standing. It can be the case that all of the people from the assessment centre get accepted, rejected, or anywhere in between.

I've heard this too. I think they want us to be working as a team with the other people at our assessment centre, taking into account everyone's ideas rather than just trying to make it all about ourself.

Mine's just over a week too and I'm really excited. Nervous but excited :biggrin: It's just come around so quickly!
(edited 12 years ago)
Ok, dont want to let too much out, but there are 8 people to a day. Over 3000 applied, and 150 are through to the assessment day stage. There are approximately 48 jobs. The day is very hard, but also loads of fun if you throw yourself into it and aren't too shy! :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by electric.elf
Ok, dont want to let too much out, but there are 8 people to a day. Over 3000 applied, and 150 are through to the assessment day stage. There are approximately 48 jobs. The day is very hard, but also loads of fun if you throw yourself into it and aren't too shy! :smile:

Wow that makes me feel a lot better just to be one of those 150! How do you think it went for you, I hope you did well! Mine is on monday! :biggrin:
Reply 37
Bloody hell! To be a part of that 150 from an initial 3000 is an achievement in itself!
Got mine Monday too...just trying to sort out my travel now. I hate London, trains and tubes are a pain in the arse!
Reply 38
Original post by hobo06
Bloody hell! To be a part of that 150 from an initial 3000 is an achievement in itself!
Got mine Monday too...just trying to sort out my travel now. I hate London, trains and tubes are a pain in the arse!

That's what I thought, made me feel quite proud! :biggrin:
Ooo good luck! I'm just terrified of missing my train or something!
Reply 39
Original post by Viole
That's what I thought, made me feel quite proud! :biggrin:
Ooo good luck! I'm just terrified of missing my train or something!

I'm aiming to get there almost an hour before...that gives me plenty of time for possible delays (I imagine getting into London for around 9am is going to be a nightmare...) and getting lost on the tubes! The travel looks simple, but nothing is fool proof with me.
Good of them to offer to reimburse travel costs!
Good luck to you too!

Original post by electric.elf

Sorry to quote you again...what happens lunch wise? Do people bring it with them or pop off out on a lunch break to buy something? I'm tempted to buy lunch there, to avoid having to take anything up with me, but then I don't want to go off on my own if everyone else is sitting around together...could come across as unsociable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending