The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Radagasty
Is there anyone here who has been accepted to read for a BA in Chinese Studies at Cambridge? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has.

Hmm, it seems no-one has! I do know a first year studying chinese though...
Reply 2
MadNatSci
Hmm, it seems no-one has! I do know a first year studying chinese though...

Thanks for your reply, MadNat. It does seem that no-one is studying Chinese at Cambridge here.

I was merely curious because I wanted to find out what format of the course was like, and whether they have any lectures, or if it is comprised entirely of supervisions, especially the Classical Chinese strand.

I'd be interested to learn Classical Chinese, which, from what I gather from the East Asia Studies website, comprises about a quarter of the undergrad course, but I can't find any information about the actual structure of the course or how it is delivered.

As a graduate student, I would be entitled to attend any and all lectures in the university, but, not, of course, supervisions. I was merely trying to investigate the possibilities.
Reply 3
Radagasty
Thanks for your reply, MadNat. It does seem that no-one is studying Chinese at Cambridge here.

I was merely curious because I wanted to find out what format of the course was like, and whether they have any lectures, or if it is comprised entirely of supervisions, especially the Classical Chinese strand.

I'd be interested to learn Classical Chinese, which, from what I gather from the East Asia Studies website, comprises about a quarter of the undergrad course, but I can't find any information about the actual structure of the course or how it is delivered.

As a graduate student, I would be entitled to attend any and all lectures in the university, but, not, of course, supervisions. I was merely trying to investigate the possibilities.

I'm pretty sure there are lectures - I'll ask Malcolm.
Reply 4
The Cambridge alternative prospectus Oriental Studies section might contain some useful information, although it all pertains to the undergrad course http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/publications/altpro/
Reply 5
MadNatSci
I'm pretty sure there are lectures - I'll ask Malcolm.

Thanks, MadNatSci... I'd appreciate that. :smile:
Reply 6
The reporter gives the lectures that are available - you'll have to scroll down quite a bit to find Chinese, but it's under 'East Asian Subjects' in Oriental Studies.

Cambridge University Reporter
Reply 7
MadNatSci
The reporter gives the lectures that are available - you'll have to scroll down quite a bit to find Chinese, but it's under 'East Asian Subjects' in Oriental Studies.

Cambridge University Reporter

Thanks for this. :smile: I'm not sure I understand the table completely: it doesn't seem to be intuitively laid out, but at least now I know that there are lectures in Chinese.
Reply 8
Radagasty
Thanks for this. :smile: I'm not sure I understand the table completely: it doesn't seem to be intuitively laid out, but at least now I know that there are lectures in Chinese.

Lol! Yeah, it does take some getting used to: it's easier to work it out if you can flick through the book for some reason. I'd offer to post a copy to you but I don't think I can afford the postage to Australia!:smile:

Basically the 'Preliminary Examination' is the first year; 'Tripos Part 1' is the second year, etc. You then have three columns: the left hand one gives all the lectures, with times and lecturers, that take place in Michaelmas term (Oct-Dec), the next does the same for Lent and the final column gives the lectures for the Easter term. Where it says Tu. Th. 11 (for example) it means these lectures are at 11 o'clock every Tuesday and Thursday. Hope that helps.
MadNatSci
Lol! Yeah, it does take some getting used to: it's easier to work it out if you can flick through the book for some reason. I'd offer to post a copy to you but I don't think I can afford the postage to Australia!:smile:

Basically the 'Preliminary Examination' is the first year; 'Tripos Part 1' is the second year, etc. You then have three columns: the left hand one gives all the lectures, with times and lecturers, that take place in Michaelmas term (Oct-Dec), the next does the same for Lent and the final column gives the lectures for the Easter term. Where it says Tu. Th. 11 (for example) it means these lectures are at 11 o'clock every Tuesday and Thursday. Hope that helps.

I think i'd better start reading some of that stuff.
Joey_Johns
I think i'd better start reading some of that stuff.

Lol - it'll be a while before you need to worry about lecture times! NatScis are the first people who really need to worry about things like that and that's only because they need to choose courses to sign up for pracs. And THAT'S not til about halfway through Freshers' Week!
Reply 11
MadNatSci

Thanks for the kind thought, anyway. :smile:

MadNatSci

Yes... it's cleared things up immensely. I didn't realise that the Prelim Exam was first year. I think I understand the table now; it's just that entries seemed to occur at weird places, which put me off.

Do you know of an online source which gives a bit more detail, e.g., a précis of each lecture? Some of the titles of the lectures aren't terribly specific, e.g., 'literary Chinese'. Surely this is not the only thing students have to go on.

Thanks again for all your help.
Radagasty
Thanks for the kind thought, anyway. :smile:

Yes... it's cleared things up immensely. I didn't realise that the Prelim Exam was first year. I think I understand the table now; it's just that entries seemed to occur at weird places, which put me off.

Do you know of an online source which gives a bit more detail, e.g., a précis of each lecture? Some of the titles of the lectures aren't terribly specific, e.g., 'literary Chinese'. Surely this is not the only thing students have to go on.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hmm, haven't had a detailed look at it but this site might help you more: http://www.eai.cam.ac.uk/courses.html
Reply 13
MadNatSci
Hmm, haven't had a detailed look at it but this site might help you more: http://www.eai.cam.ac.uk/courses.html

Hmm... that's the website I started from, actually. They give the details of papers there, but not the method of delivery. Would you say there is a one-to-one relationship between lectures and papers in general?

Thanks again.
Radagasty
Hmm... that's the website I started from, actually. They give the details of papers there, but not the method of delivery. Would you say there is a one-to-one relationship between lectures and papers in general?

Thanks again.

At a guess, yes! :smile: There seems to be.

Latest

Trending

Trending