The Student Room Group

The 'How to Approach Random Girls in the Street' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewroll
METHOD #98 The asker of directions

This is a great way to talk to someone without freaking them out. Its socially acceptable to talk to strangers in two situations (according to Michael Mcintyre). The first being to ask the time. The second is when you are asking for directions. This technique focuses on the 2nd.

Guy (notices hot girl in a public place). Approaches her from the front with a friendly smile
You: Excuse me do you know how to get to [Insert bull**** place you don't really want to go to]
Girl: Yeah what you wanna do is take a left at BLAH BLAH BLAH
Guy (pretend to listen, maybe even nod and ask the occasional question to make it look realistic- keep eye contact (not creepy))
Guy: Thanks a lot
Girl: Its ok (turns to walk away)
Guy: Oh one more thing. I didn't actually stop you to ask you directions, I just wanted an excuse to talk to you as I think you look amazing/beautiful
Girl: Reeeeaally?? :colondollar:
Guy: :sexface:

See with this technique the girl isn't freaked out by your approach as she wasn't expecting it. She was already comfortable talking to you as she had already spoken to you for a moment previously.

This is all theory of course. Hasn't yet been tested... O_O

Lewroll , You lad
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Lewroll , You lad

I'm no 'lad'. I haven't even tried this myself. I will try it eventually ofc, but I will be crapping myself the entire time :frown:
My personal favourite is the directions one, definitely :tongue:
Original post by Residue of Spandex
I normally try and hit on impressionable Indie girls wearing the same Reading Festival wristbands as me :biggrin:

This works, it's really easy to make conversation with people who are wearing festival wristbands on. It's been tried and tested by my friends and I wearing Leeds Festival wristbands :biggrin:
METHOD #20 The music shop

Do people still go to music shops? Like HMV? Or do people just download? Anyways this seems like an easy way to meet someone, by sharing a common interest (it also works in book shops). Go into music/book shop. See the girl/boy looking at cd/book. Go up to them and browse the same section they are looking at. Then look at the book/cd they are looking at and casually use it to start a conversation.
'Oh thats a great band there, have you heard blah blah'
'That book looks interesting, whats it about'
etc etc

Next thing you know you are having a conversation with someone and they think you like the same stuff as them (even if you dont). Now all you have to do is get their number :P
Original post by Lewroll
METHOD #20 The music shop

Do people still go to music shops? Like HMV? Or do people just download? Anyways this seems like an easy way to meet someone, by sharing a common interest (it also works in book shops). Go into music/book shop. See the girl/boy looking at cd/book. Go up to them and browse the same section they are looking at. Then look at the book/cd they are looking at and casually use it to start a conversation.
'Oh thats a great band there, have you heard blah blah'
'That book looks interesting, whats it about'
etc etc

Next thing you know you are having a conversation with someone and they think you like the same stuff as them (even if you dont). Now all you have to do is get their number :P

It works but it's dependant on how much they like the band.
For instance, 'Oh you know my friend's dad used to roadie for them.'

It's a good opener if you can bull**** your way through.
*subcribes*
my new reason to procrastinate
Reply 187
Question for the guys: If a [cute] girl was to employ such tactics as this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31248936&highlight= while maintaining eye contact say on bus/train etc would you be more or less inclined to approach her/start a conversation?

[insert cheeky grin]
Original post by krish.x
Question for the guys: If a [cute] girl was to employ such tactics as this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31248936&highlight= while maintaining eye contact say on bus/train etc would you be more or less inclined to approach her/start a conversation?

[insert cheeky grin]

If I was certain she was staring at me (I would probably turn around to check if she isn't starting at some guy behind me) then I would consider approaching her (I'd be nervous as this doesn't really happen that often O_O). Depends on how much of a chance I think I would have with her.

If he doesn't approach, just go talk to him yourself?
Reply 189
Original post by Lewroll
If I was certain she was staring at me (I would probably turn around to check if she isn't starting at some guy behind me) then I would consider approaching her (I'd be nervous as this doesn't really happen that often O_O). Depends on how much of a chance I think I would have with her.

If he doesn't approach, just go talk to him yourself?

But it's weirder if a girl approaches a guy randomly... :/ Non?
(Unless she can find something to comment on. But guys suck at having props whereas girls seem to carry the entire world in their handbags or w/e making it easier to give a guy something to say.)
Original post by krish.x
But it's weirder if a girl approaches a guy randomly... :/ Non?
(Unless she can find something to comment on. But guys suck at having props whereas girls seem to carry the entire world in their handbags or w/e making it easier to give a guy something to say.)

Well it shouldn't be weird anymore. Its not fair us guys have to approach the girls all the time and risk embarrassment. And if a girl approached me I wouldn't think it was weird, I would be like :smug:
Reply 191
Original post by krish.x

[insert cheeky grin]

some might think you're a slut ..just sayin..

A simple smile often works wonders.(we're talking about strangers here)
Trick to get girls numbers.

You: Sorry i cant find my phone, can i use yours to call it
Girl: Sure
*you ring*
*phone rings in your pocket*
You: ahh here it is
*you now have her number and she has yours*

*commence conversation*
But that would be pretty damn sexy. I would be looking at you like this :smile: but in my head I'd be doing this :dice:

Original post by LewDacris
Trick to get girls numbers.

You: Sorry i cant find my phone, can i use yours to call it
Girl: Sure
*you ring*
*phone rings in your pocket*
You: ahh here it is
*you now have her number and she has yours*

*commence conversation*

LOL that might work. Or you'd get a slap :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by Lewroll
Tube journeys in london can be extremely depressing. You get on the tube with people, you sit/stand next to them, sometimes for very long periods of time, but nobody ever says anything! If you came on the tube dressed as Spiderman people would still ignore you :biggrin:

The sad thing about it is you will often get on a tube and there will be plenty of attractive people on there. But if you started talking to them people would look at you like you just pulled a bomb out of your pants.

Do you really expect strangers to all start talking on the tube? :s-smilie:

I guess the Metro thing where women take pictures of guys on their phone they think are hot then the paper prints them in the next edition indicates that some women are up for some random guys to talk to them, hot ones...
Reply 195
Original post by rbnphlp
some might think you're a slut ..just sayin..

A simple smile often works wonders.(we're talking about strangers here)

haha, maybe so... But I'm not saying let it be that slow motion or anything...
Plus, I guess it'd depend on the girl... If she was sexy rather than kinda cutesy she'd probably more likely get labelled a slut for that sorta blatent action right?
I don't mean that controversially, just curious as to guys' takes on it. :smile:
Original post by krish.x
haha, maybe so... But I'm not saying let it be that slow motion or anything...
Plus, I guess it'd depend on the girl... If she was sexy rather than kinda cutesy she'd probably more likely get labelled a slut for that sorta blatent action right?
I don't mean that controversially, just curious as to guys' takes on it. :smile:

To be honest, Krish, if any girl looked at me at that (as long as she wasn't ugly) then I would find it hot :sexface:
Reply 197
Original post by Lewroll
To be honest, Krish, if any girl looked at me at that (as long as she wasn't ugly) then I would find it hot :sexface:

But you'd still hesitate to approach? Or you'd go for it?

Maybe I should try it out and post results? [Muses]
Then again, define ugly... I mean would she have to look like a dog for it to not work, or would someone somewhat unremarkable not do it for you either.
Reply 198
How about:

Look bitch I'm Rick James! :wink:
Original post by krish.x
But you'd still hesitate to approach? Or you'd go for it?

Maybe I should try it out and post results? [Muses]
Then again, define ugly... I mean would she have to look like a dog for it to not work, or would someone somewhat unremarkable not do it for you either.

I personally would hesitate, but thats because I am probably a bit shy. If I was sure she was looking at me and if it carried on for a while then I would go for it.

Yeah definitely try it (try on me if you want :sexface:):biggrin:

If she was completely unremarkable or creepy looking then I would probably ignore her tbh. But even if she was mildly attractive I will probably play along for a while :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending