The Student Room Group

What happens if I fail AS-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ah perfectionist, stop worrying about everything and all the pressure. Just focus on what needs to be done now while you still have the chance to change the errors of your ways! I promise you it'll be worth it.

I got an E in my January Exams.

So what if I'm hypocritical? I give good advice. :P

As I've never said before, Ifs and Buts didn't get Needs and Wants.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by pnorm
You are the worst exemplar student, IN THE WORLD. Revision is definitely required if you get a U !!

I'm just explaining that you don't need to fret this much about the exams. If you pay attention in lesson then you are 75% of the way to doing well. The teachers give you the answers. It isn't as if you have to go off into the wilderness and forage for the answers.

Walking to school requires more effort that learning the syllabus.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
I'm just explaining that you don't need to fret this much about the exams. If you pay attention in lesson then you are 75% of the way to doing well. The teachers give you the answers. It isn't as if you have to go off into the wilderness and forage for the answers.

Walking to school requires more effort that learning the syllabus.

You're just a chip off the old block. If you're so clever why don't you get A*s in all your A levels?

Walking to school does not take more effort than learning the syllabus! Are you kidding me?! How overweight are you?? You could get away with what you're saying at GCSE. A level, I don't think so.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by pnorm
You're just a chip off the old block. If you're so clever why don't you get A*s in all your A levels?

Walking to school does not take more effort than learning the syllabus! Are you kidding me?! How overweight are you??

I'm not saying that I'm so clever; just that the exams aren't hard. I don't get A*s because I don't deserve them (i.e. not putting enough effort in). To get an A* all you have to do is revise like there is no tomorrow, and that just isn't my style. I'll gladly take three As, thanks.

I'm actually not overweight, which should symbolise how hard I think the syllabus is to learn. I live 20 minutes away, so to do that every day takes more effort than sitting down and learning something which is effectively common sense.
Original post by Perfectionist
I have taken Dutch and German at GCSE and got an A* for both because I used to live there so, AS shouldn't be a problem.

Depends, if you've not written/spoken any german since sitting the GCSE exam, don't be surprised if you've forgotten quite a bit. Can you even take Dutch at A Level?
Reply 25
You keep resitting until you pass.
Reply 26
You're scaring me now
(edited 9 years ago)
Firstly, the majority of people I know of in year 12/13 did very badly in their January exams. Not sure whether it's a coincidence or something's going on with the exam boards, but I don't recall results that bad when I was in that position.

Secondly, AS grades aren't neccessarily a deciding factor. I got BBCD in my AS levels and picked it all up and the course I'm on now is AAB requirement. Obviously we're not talking Us there, but the general point is that it can be turned around.

In terms of actually failing and having to re-sit - I know someone who failed his AS year, and re-sat. At the end of the 3 years he had AAB at A level and is studying at Newcastle uni. If that does happen, you just need to be clever and work it in to your personal statement. Say things like 'I took the difficult decision to re-start my A levels and succeed in what I discovered were the right subject choices for me' or something along those lines. That's what he did anyways. Your chances aren't ruined. Good luck.
Not dealing with this well. Went from B-A* in GCSE to a (single) U in Jan exams and now, I have a feeling I have to resit this whole year as my sixth form requires a minimum of 4 D's to continue to year 13. I am being stupid, yes. But what are the exact consequences?

I've got my mind on LLB Law.. haven't researched uni's properly as I've left the pile of prospectuses for after exams.. but vaguely - Sussex, Warwick, UEA, Exeter.... urgh.

Should I completely forget about those names if what I fear will happen, takes place?

P.S. I do Politics, History, English Lit and Economics and am supposed to achieve AAAB (B for Politics.. as I got the U for that)

If you fail AS, you will be able to resit the year
For your year you have to put module results down on your UCAS form (new rules)
My advice would be to contact these unis in advance to see how they view resitting a year
however, i would suggest that if you're unlikely to get 4 D's then you're unlikely to be able to get into one of those Uni's, especially for Law which will be AAA or AAB, AAA at Warwick for sure, other uni's do law so you may want to think about a back-up

OR

you could just get revising and it won't be an issue
Reply 29
Are you resiting it? I went from a U in one exam and resat it to get a B. I still don't know how I did it because I did loads of revision for both. Those grades are what your teachers are predicting and what they expect you to get so they obviously think that you have the potential. Just get some revision in and work and there is nothing stopping you from getting what you are expected to get.

Good luck!
Yeah I needed 3 D's to pass the year, luckily I had a C from doing geog AS a year early

I was panicking but I managed to scrape pass and got DDEU

I retook all my AS modules in January and I managed to do really well. It's possible
Reply 31
Original post by awais590
so i'm currently doing 3 in Biology, History, English Lit.

You are doing exactly the same subjects as me. Let's share our pain.
Original post by Superstar6318
Yeah I needed 3 D's to pass the year, luckily I had a C from doing geog AS a year early

I was panicking but I managed to scrape pass and got DDEU

I retook all my AS modules in January and I managed to do really well. It's possible

What'd you get in your retakes?
Original post by jamiepango
When you say put down module results, does that include UMS as well?

erm, i think UMS is optional but you have to put down the grades that you got in each AS module for 2012 entry onwards
Original post by LifeIsGood
What'd you get in your retakes?

AABBCC
Oh, actually. Is it possible to still do so at this point? Not doing Politics (and the re-sit for Unit 1) could save me much so time (and headache). I have taken Dutch and German at GCSE and got an A* for both because I used to live there so, AS shouldn't be a problem.

My friend is fluent in spanish, she has lived in spain since she was 10, she did spanish A level and only got a B despite the fact that she is fluent because you're not allowed to loose slang/the type of spanish they teach is formal 'english person's spanish'
Reply 36
Original post by Hazular
You are doing exactly the same subjects as me. Let's share our pain.

:violin:

Biology is the nightmare. :frown:
Reply 37
Original post by awais590
:violin:

Biology is the nightmare. :frown:

English lit is mine. The English department at my sixth form are TERRIBLE when it comes to English Lit A levels :frown:
Reply 38
Original post by Hazular
English lit is mine. The English department at my sixth form are TERRIBLE when it comes to English Lit A levels :frown:

Aww no way =/

what board is it?

Mine's AQA and it's pretty crap tbh, I thought A level English Lit would be awesome but it's just so tedious.

I hate A levels. :rolleyes:
Reply 39
I failed my AS's last year - although down to bad health and a period in hospital
Generally depending on how bad you failed.. I got DDUU, you either restart the whole year, resit some modules in your second year, or drop out
If you do choose to restart the year, make sure you work bloody hard and get the best grades you can get.

Quick Reply