The Student Room Group

My first tattoo!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How so?
Reply 21
Original post by Samwelln
Nice design, big fan of wrist tattoos :smile:

The bepanthen really was a life saver when trying to get to sleep!

Thanks....

Only thing is, once you get one tattoo you instantly want another... Or atleast that's what happened in my case haha :smile:

Just beware if you carry the cream around with you, having to explain nappy rash cream to those whom don't know you have a tatt can be interesting haha :tongue:
Reply 22
"Existence precedes essence" is a debatable claim... a year from now you could completely disagree with the meaning of the phrase. It would be quite annoying seeing something scribbled across your own body which you no longer agree with.
Reply 23
Original post by JHalpin
"Existence precedes essence" is a debatable claim... a year from now you could completely disagree with the meaning of the phrase. It would be quite annoying seeing something scribbled across your own body which you no longer agree with.

I completely agree that there is always an element of risk involved when getting a tattoo with some philosophical meaning behind it but I think that risk exists with all tattoos. Whether it be meaning or design, you may not always like it.
Reply 24
Original post by emmi_lou
Thanks....

Only thing is, once you get one tattoo you instantly want another... Or atleast that's what happened in my case haha :smile:

Just beware if you carry the cream around with you, having to explain nappy rash cream to those whom don't know you have a tatt can be interesting haha :tongue:

What's wrong with adult nappy rash! :P

I know what you mean, it is quite an addictive feeling! Problem is that I'm limited to what I can get because I can't have anything that would be on show because of my degree/career :frown:
Reply 25
Tattoos are for the lower class and attention seekers. End of.
Reply 26
If you like it then that's the end of that.
Reply 27
Original post by loz957

Or for people who want to represent their feelings, thoughts or beliefs in a personal and artistic way...
Reply 28
What's wrong with adult nappy rash! :P

I know what you mean, it is quite an addictive feeling! Problem is that I'm limited to what I can get because I can't have anything that would be on show because of my degree/career :frown:

Oh no there's nothing wrong with it, just a little awkward to explain haha :wink:

Suppose if you're restricted to the 'cuff and collar' then room is a little limited, but atleast you have the whole of the chest, back and to somewhat degree legs to work with :smile: plenty of room :smile:

I've kinda obliterated the 'cuff and 'collar thing already with my wrist tattoo haha
Reply 29
I've always liked the look of script tattoos (esp on the ribs) and had an idea of what I wanted mine to say but could never word it succinctly and I definitely didn't want a tattoo that wasn't quite perfect in my mind! Luckily, however, I was talking to a friend who did philosophy and he said that I seemed existential in my outlook on life. After reading up on this philosophy I came across a quote which perfectly worded my outlook on life- "Existence precedes essence".

So, after giving it a few months thought just to be sure (and to raise some funds!) I finally got my rib tattoo done! What do people think?

The main question should be whether you like the tattoo because its your body ours. If you love it then that's good and dont bother what other people think about it.
Script tattoos are very very personal things and a phrase that has no meaning to me might represent a lot to you (and vice versa) :smile: so ignore what people say about the "cheesiness" of it. It's not their tattoo!
(I'm just glad it's not "love", "hope" or "believe" in chinese symbols...)
Reply 31
Original post by loz957

That's a bit mean .... :eek: :angry:
Another script tattoo
Reply 33
Original post by patrickedore
The main question should be whether you like the tattoo because its your body ours. If you love it then that's good and dont bother what other people think about it.

Original post by tsr-member
Script tattoos are very very personal things and a phrase that has no meaning to me might represent a lot to you (and vice versa) :smile: so ignore what people say about the "cheesiness" of it. It's not their tattoo!
(I'm just glad it's not "love", "hope" or "believe" in chinese symbols...)

I love my tattoo and, like you say, nothing else matters.

I got a star and angel wings which i 'designed' myself :smile:

I was recommended bepanthen too, worked a treat :smile: Only problem with getting a wrist tatt though was walking round for an hour with a tissue taped over it, it looked like I'd done something serious and I got some funny looks haha

The pic shows it a few days after it was done, so not as good as it looks now

Was it painful? i ask cos i'm planning my first tattoo (on my wrist) but i'm a wuss when it comes to pain :redface:
Reply 35
Original post by xXMessedUpXx
Was it painful? i ask cos i'm planning my first tattoo (on my wrist) but i'm a wuss when it comes to pain :redface:

I was expecting to cry when I got mine, but honestly it is not as painful as you'd expect :smile:

The most painful part for me was the outline, but the majority of the pain was when he was outlining the parts near the 'outside' of the wrist near the bones. The inside bit wasn't too bad it just stung a bit...... But it all depends on how you handle pain I suppose. :smile:

My friend told me not to get it there because I'd be tempted to yank my hand away, but never had that :smile:

Hope it goes as well for you as it did for me :smile:
I got a star and angel wings which i 'designed' myself :smile:

I was recommended bepanthen too, worked a treat :smile: Only problem with getting a wrist tatt though was walking round for an hour with a tissue taped over it, it looked like I'd done something serious and I got some funny looks haha

The pic shows it a few days after it was done, so not as good as it looks now

Do you still get funny looks?

That tattoo is horrible, it has already put me off you and I know nothing about you.
Reply 37
That's a bit mean .... :eek: :angry:

It's not meant to be mean. But I'd say 80-90% of people who I see with a tattoo look chavvy or rough in some way or another. I don't know any intelligent or professional people with a tattoo.
Reply 38
Original post by rugbyladosc
Do you still get funny looks?

That tattoo is horrible, it has already put me off you and I know nothing about you.

Oh why thank you, nice to meet you too....

You know what not anymore, it was the whole tissue taped to my wrist that induced the funny looks, I don't look odd enough to get constant funny looks luckily...

Mind you, so long as I like my tattoo, and I'm happy with it then I'm not too concerned whether you think it's horrible or not but thank you for your opinion... :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by loz957
It's not meant to be mean. But I'd say 80-90% of people who I see with a tattoo look chavvy or rough in some way or another. I don't know any intelligent or professional people with a tattoo.

So you assume I'm unintelligent?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending