The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Uni accomodation and funding

Hello friends.

I'm pretty sure this is the right board for this issue, but if it isn't I would gladly be redirected to where it is. Initially I considered the "everyday issues" forum, but when the first article I saw on it was this it occured to me that maybe such a problem was better suited to a place such as this.

Basically, I'm applying (have applied?) to Manchester University, recieved a conditinonal etc etc and it is now my firm choice (it was a toss-up between Warwick and the aforementioned capital of the north, but this is irrelevant and besides, it was no contest as Rik Mayall went to Manchester while only Stephen Merchant {pfft} went to Warwick fact).

I'm doing a 3 year BSc in Molecular Biology (Department of Life Sciences {obviously}) and I need to ask of any alumni or current students of Manchester, or even residents, about the accomodation situation.

I guess it's an even break between
1) Proximity to the faculty of life sciences, where most of my lectures (all of my lectures) will be taking place
2) How nice the area is, and most crucially
3) The Price

My family's income bracket varies wildly year to year, as although my Mother holds down a steady job as a Teacher in a nearby secondary school, my Father is a working actor, and so his annual income can vary, as it has, from £4000 to £40000 depending on how good that year was. Unfortunately, April 2009 to April 2010, which is the year the taxman is interested in when deciding upon my grants and loans, was an exceptionally good year, where my Father earned I believe in excess of £35000 which, as we're being means tested, effectively limits my governmental grants to almost nothing. This would be fine if this pattern were to be repeated every year, but this 5 figure sum has been chronologically surrounded by a period of austerity, with salaries in the region of £6000 per year. (Our family is 4-berth; myself, my parents, and my younger sister.)

This means that I will be struggling to afford a number of things over the next few years, with accomodation being the most prominent (sic).

And so I need some advice from The Student Room. What can you reccomend? I have been through all the different Halls a thousand times (hyperbole) and I think I would prefer self-catered with a washbasin (the washbasin is less important in the grand scheme of things however) but other than that, I have absolutely no idea where to apply for for what reason.

tl;dr What is the best place to live when studying at Manchester University considering my parents' income bracket?

Thanks.
Ben.
You can change your student finance each year you know, so if your dads income drops then when you come to apply for it for the year 2012/13 you can tell them this to increase your grants? Especially if it's dropped by such a large amount.

The cheapest halls I could find for Manchester is Oak House, which is between £76-89 per week (full price list for comparison on page 26/27 here: http://media.stars.manchester.ac.uk/files/accommodation/Accommodation%20Guide%203%2011%2010.pdf though this was for the 2010/11 year so it may have increased slightly) and has the option of a basin in your room. However, it's self catered, so you would still have to buy food, and is part of the Fallowfield campus, so you will also need a bus pass. The second cheapest is Whitworth Park (one of my choices - also most rooms have a basin) at £80-88 per week. It is also self catered but is right next to the Uni campus, so you may be able to save money on travel. I would recommend having a look at all the options available for yourself on these websites:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/list/?offset=5&sort=&sortDir=ascending&catering=NoPref&location=NoPref&singleSex=NoPref&singleSexAreas=NoPref&ugpg=NoPref&adapted=NoPref&bathroom=NoPref&submit=&searchType=simple

http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/ouraccommodation/areaguide/city/
(edited 12 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
The closest halls to life sciences is Grosvenor, they're often overlooked but they're a good price though not catered. You could end up regretting getting a catered halls I know many who did as you just dont have freedom over what you eat and the time you eat etc.

My best friend lived with me at grosvenor street building (Grov st building and grosvenor halls are in the same compound but GSB is newer and a lot nicer) and she did a degree in Biology. It takes about 4 mins to walk to university - fallowfield is great after the first year but the buses get MANIC and it takes 25 mins to get into uni. It's only a 15 walk into the city centre and you have everything you need nearby.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending