The Student Room Group

Quoting

I need to know how to quote properly plz.
If i wanted to quote a line that had speech in it will this be okay, e.g:
"Ron said, 'red coats rock!' "
would it be correct gramatically?? i have always managed to get round not including speech in my quotes but im not sure how to do it. can any1 help?

o yes- something different, if i had to include the line number of where the quote came from would this be right?
"Ron said, 'red coats rock!' " (line 57)

thnx xxxx
Reply 1
yes i dont see that being a problem - i've never used quotes with speach and if i did would probably only quote the speach

e.g in the book ron said " red coats rock"

try to imber your quotes as much as possible
Reply 2
The best thing to do is choose either " or ' for speech, and then the other one for quotes and stick to it.
Reply 3
Is this a quote as in you are refering to what somebody has written in a book as evidence to back something up or quotes in a story? If it is like in a story book it'd be 'Yes, he had a big, fabtastic orange' said Billy, 'Really?!' exclaimed Mary ......Sorry for the gay example, it'd made me laugh! And if you wanted to back something you've written in an essay, it'd be.... Carlton (1996:65) stated that "mutilpliers are very different as are the magnitudes of each of the different multipliers". This shows that multipliers....
If it is the latter, you put the persons surname and the year they wrote / said it. The 65 refers to the page.
You're right with (line 46), as it is what your teacher had asked you to do in ways of referencing.
I hope it didn't sound complicated? Uni's are miffed that Schools never teach us this, Schools just expect us to know it!!!
Reply 4
Juno
The best thing to do is choose either " or ' for speech, and then the other one for quotes and stick to it.

:ditto:

Latest

Trending

Trending