The Student Room Group

Too late to drop a subject?

I am a year 13 student and I am currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History for A2. I am one of only a few people at school doing more than 3 A levels and up until about a month ago I was coping with the work load fine.

I have offers to study engineering at Durham and at Nottingham and both require Maths and Physics with one other subject making up my offer. I have always found history interesting and I have always done well in it, so I am positive that the A levels that will make up my offer with be Maths, Physics and History.

I am now seriously considering dropping Chemistry (we do the OCR Salters course). I am having a dreadful time writing up my investigation (my experiment gave me poor results) and I stupidly buried my head in the sand for the past few weeks and tried not to think about it. I am really regretting not dropping it at the end of AS (I got a good B which I thought I would be able to improve on).

Is it too late to drop the subject now, considering I have sat one A2 exam and have been entered for exams in the summer? I'm beginning to feel that keeping the subject is pulling down my work in the subjects that I actually need.

Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
bump
if you really don't like it, when the term starts, go and talk to your teachers / form tutor / any teacher in any subject that you feel comfortable talking to about what you feel...

they'll be able to give you better advice that most of here on TSR
but in the end, it'll all your choice
Reply 3
I understand that they will be able to best advise me. However my man issue is whether having sat one A2 exam means I am now going to be certificated for the A2, leaving me unable to claim the AS grade I had and I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge/experience to this?
Reply 4
I think because you've already sat one A2 exam if you dropped the subject the second exam would be classed as not sat therefore 0% for that but you'd still get an A2 out of it.

You might as well work as hard as you can on the other subjects and to make sure you meet your offer then do a little bit on chemistry to get a decent mark, good luck :smile:
Original post by Keckers
I am a year 13 student and I am currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History for A2. I am one of only a few people at school doing more than 3 A levels and up until about a month ago I was coping with the work load fine.

I have offers to study engineering at Durham and at Nottingham and both require Maths and Physics with one other subject making up my offer. I have always found history interesting and I have always done well in it, so I am positive that the A levels that will make up my offer with be Maths, Physics and History.

I am now seriously considering dropping Chemistry (we do the OCR Salters course). I am having a dreadful time writing up my investigation (my experiment gave me poor results) and I stupidly buried my head in the sand for the past few weeks and tried not to think about it. I am really regretting not dropping it at the end of AS (I got a good B which I thought I would be able to improve on).

Is it too late to drop the subject now, considering I have sat one A2 exam and have been entered for exams in the summer? I'm beginning to feel that keeping the subject is pulling down my work in the subjects that I actually need.

Thanks for any help.

you could drop it, a friend of mine dropped an A2 a few weeks ago so she can focus on other exams, there's no point spreading yourself thinly for no reason

Quick Reply

Latest