The Student Room Group
Never! British courts are not constituitonal courts in any sense of the word and thus cannot declare legislation invalid. Even a declaration of incompatabilitiy does not render the legislation invalid!
Reply 2
Declaration of incompatibility possible, invalidity impossible.
Reply 3
A court may have to interpret a statute to be quite different to its prima facie meaning however- good thing to discuss if this is an essay.

Have a quick look at the EC principles of direct and indirect effect also (Kevin Boone's law website will prob have quite good summary if you search for that).
Reply 4
What about the Merchant Shipping Act 1988 - Factortame?
under s.4 of the HRA'98 the court can make a declaration of incompatibility regarding legislation which conflicts with this act and the ECHR. so it doesn't declare it invalid...but i think s.10 of HRA'98 includes a Henry VIII clause which allows parliament to quickly change the conflicting piece of legislation... i think factortame simply confirmed this?!!

hope this might help..if im correct!

i hate anything involving european law :angry:
Reply 6
im guessing u go to manchester uni...
Reply 7
P1mP
:rolleyes: Am I right in thinking that the only time this can occur is if it is inconsistent with EC legislation/HRA 1998??

Wrong; on both counts.

See: Factortame I & II, w/ reference to s. 3[1], [2] & [4] of the European Communities Act 1972, s. 21[2] of the Crown Proceedings Act 1947, s. 14[1] & [7] of the Merchant Shipping Act 1988.
Reply 8
My mistake..theres no circumstance that a court can declare this :redface:
Reply 9
chocmonster
under s.4 of the HRA'98 the court can make a declaration of incompatibility regarding legislation which conflicts with this act and the ECHR. so it doesn't declare it invalid...but i think s.10 of HRA'98 includes a Henry VIII clause which allows parliament to quickly change the conflicting piece of legislation... i think factortame simply confirmed this?!!

hope this might help..if im correct!

i hate anything involving european law :angry:

Factortame was before the HRA and did overrule the Merchant Shipping Act, if I'm not mistaken.
Reply 10
P1mP
My mistake..theres no circumstance that a court can declare this :redface:

Actually, there is: again, see Factortame. The European Communities Act of 1972 gave effect "without further enactment" (ref., I think, s. 3[2]) to E.C. Law, inside U.K. jurisidiction; and, as E.C. legislation is supreme within the ambit of E.C. Law, short of modifying the provisions of the Act itself, our courts have been thus empowered to literally suspend or set aside collateral Acts of Parliament by recourse to a 'legislative annexe' that Parliament itself set out.

Anyway, Adam Tomkins' Public Law (somewhere in the region of page 120) articulates this exception far better than I might purport to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending