The Student Room Group

Differential Equation Help Please MFP3 AQA

The question is. Find the value of the constant a for which the function y=axcos2x is a particular integral of the differential equation y" + 4y =3sin2x. Hence find the general solution of this differential equation.

Here is what I've done so far. Solved the auxiliary equation to get an imaginary answer of k=+/- 2i. Then, because of this answer, put the complementary function as y=Csin2x + Dcos2x. Then because this is of the form Asinpx + Bcospx the trial function is y=axsinpx. I have then found the second derivative which I got to be 4acos2x - 4axsin2x. Then I plugged these into the original equation but ended up with sin2x(4ax - 4ax) + 4acos2x = 3sin2x. So the sin disappears because the coefficient is zero then I have the cos coefficient 4a = 0 which says a is zero. Shoud the RHS of the original diff equation not have cos instead of sin?

Thanks in advance.
Ross
(edited 12 years ago)
You've used the wrong trial function, f(x)=Csinλx f(x) = C \sin \lambda x so the appropriate trial function is y=axcosλx y = ax \cos \lambda x .
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I think you may be a little confused about the difference between particular integrals and complementary functions. If λ1\lambda _1 and λ2\lambda _2 are solutions of the auxiliary equation, then the CF of the ODE is Aeλ1x+Beλ2xAe^{\lambda _1x} + Be^{\lambda _2x}. In basic terms, the complementary function is supposed to be such that the LHS is zero when it is plugged in to the ODE. Therefore, I have no idea how you decided that y = Csin2x + Dcos2x was the CF. :p:

The particular integral, on the other hand, is such that if you plug it into the LHS, you should get out the RHS. The question gives you the form of trial function (namely y=axcos2xy=ax\cos 2x) so all you have to do is plug it in and solve for the constant a. I think the reason that the question asks you just to find the constant a which fits their PI is because it doesn't work for the usual trial function (for one reason or another that I'm not quite sure about).

EDIT: I don't think I've helped at all though, you'd be better off waiting for someone else's advice as my brain isn't in gear today. :frown:

The auxiliary equation has imaginary roots, ±2i \pm 2i, so the complimentary function is yc=Ae2ix+Be2ixy_c = Ae^{2ix} + Be^{-2ix} . OP has just used Euler's formula to reduce this down.

Quick Reply

Latest