The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For me the fact that I've heard that Liverpool is a great uni with wonderful equine unit
Bristol i loved on the open day both the uni and the city
I didn't apply to Glasgow, because i had heard it prefers scottish students, I couldn't confirm this to be a rumour as certainly as I found the ''Bristol doesnt like private schools'' to be a rumour so I decided not too risk it.
But this can't be most peoples reasons as it doesnt apply o Edinburgh and i heard the same thing for them
xxxLucyxxx
They told us in a Bristol admissions talk that each year around 300 vets come to UK from abroad cos there arn't enough vets graduating in the UK, plus as so many are woman a lot of vets work part time so more jobs are available.
notingham wasnt just set up on a complete whim lol

300 vets come from abroad to fill the jobs that most UK graduates dont want, (e.g meat inspectors in abatoirs, animal welfare in research labs).
The people coming from abroad dont want these jobs either, but the pay is better here than in places where there are already too many vets graduating. (I think Spain is a popular one)
Reply 22
voodooshaman
300 vets come from abroad to fill the jobs that most UK graduates dont want, (e.g meat inspectors in abatoirs, animal welfare in research labs).
The people coming from abroad dont want these jobs either, but the pay is better here than in places where there are already too many vets graduating. (I think Spain is a popular one)

But there are also a lot of foreign vets applying for jobs in practice. Recently at 3 different practices I saw a Spanish applicant for one job, an Italian, a French and one from Honk Kong for the next, and a Spanish again for the last (who was replacing a Portuguese vet).

According to a friend of my mum who is a vet, we get a lot of foreign vets here because the wages are better, and, as you said because they produce too many graduates - I heard that Germany has 300 too many graduates a year, though I have no idea if that figure is correct.

I think it is hard to tell whether or not there are enough jobs to warrent opening a new vet school - RCVS have their doubts, but at the same time I can't see that Nottingham would be opening one if they thought it would be a big problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending