The Student Room Group

Language Students, do you have a 'favourite language'?

As the title says really, for those of us studying 2 or more languages, whether it be GCSE, A Level, Uni or self teaching, do you prefer one to the other?

If so, why?

For instance, I study French and German at the same 'stage' (Southampton uni thing), and am actually better at French and find it easier, but I just cannot help but love German so much more. Not sure why except possibly that I had a very inspirational and good German teacher at A level and pretty poor/broken teaching for French.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Deutsch_Beth

As the title says really, for those of us studying 2 or more languages, wether it be GCSE, A Level, Uni or self teaching, do you have prefer one to the other?

If so, why?

For instance, I study French and German at the same 'stage' (Southampton uni thing), and am actually better at French and find it easier, but I just cannot help but love German so much more. Not sure why except possibly that I had a very inspirational and good German teacher at A level and pretty poor/broken teaching for French.

I do GCSE French and Russian, and without a doubt I prefer Russian. I don't know exactly why, but it's probably because my French teacher is quite bad, and I like the sophistication of Russian grammar as opposed to French.
Reply 2
German!!
Well, I only studied two languages for one year (year 9 - German and French), but German is the one I chose to carry on with to A2, and will be doing at Uni soon :biggrin:
In terms of teachers though, my teachers have all been good until this year - my current German teacher is the most pathetic and dull man in existence - so it can't all be due to teaching :P
I think it appealed to me because (geeky as it sounds) I like grammar!

Will be doing german and italian and uni though, so we'll see what happens then...
Reply 3
I prefer Russian to Arabic, although Arabic grammar is sometimes far more interesting :holmes:. No relation to the teaching, only I'm better at Russian than Arabic.
Reply 4
Original post by Katterson
German!!
Well, I only studied two languages for one year (year 9 - German and French), but German is the one I chose to carry on with to A2, and will be doing at Uni soon :biggrin:
In terms of teachers though, my teachers have all been good until this year - my current German teacher is the most pathetic and dull man in existence - so it can't all be due to teaching :P
I think it appealed to me because (geeky as it sounds) I like grammar!

Will be doing german and italian and uni though, so we'll see what happens then...

Nothing geeky about that :tongue: I find the people at uni that prefer German to their other language, me included, seem to love the grammar as well :biggrin:
Reply 5
Yep, German >>>>>> French in EVERY WAY. And not just because I'm not very good at French :P
Reply 6
I study german at higher and did french until standard grade but still continue it for fun. I would say I prefer german as I had a better teacher who made it interesting and I just like the sound of it more.
I have studied French, German and Japanese since Year 7 but at different times; even though I'm going to do French at uni, I love German most of all :love:
Reply 8
I studied French and Spanish at GCSE and then took French on to AS level. I preferred the sound of Spanish and so enjoyed speaking it more than French, but French came a lot more naturally and the grammar clicked a lot more than it did with Spanish, and I'm a bit of a grammar geek :wink: . As I was better at French and so became more proficient in it I ended up liking it a lot more than Spanish
Reply 9
changes for me, in terms of my spoken languages, Irish definitely; I do A2 Irish and AS French but I feel like my Irish was miles better than my French is at AS, probably because when I started learning Irish at school my dad (who is an Irish speaker) refused to speak English to me...:s-smilie: oh well

Latin and Greek are :sexface: I'm a massive grammar nerd though :getmecoat:
I do French and Spanish for GCSE , and I find Spanish so much easier than French - especially speaking :smile: French is just confusing - I'm not very good :/
Reply 11
Italian = :love:
Latin is pretty :sexface: too
French, I barely even care for anymore :colonhash:
Original post by aeterno
Italian = :love:
Latin is pretty :sexface: too
French, I barely even care for anymore :colonhash:

Haha oh dear, got much of your degree left? :tongue:
Reply 13
I study French and Spanish, I'm miles better at French and it comes out of my mouth more naturally and I understand the grammar more, but I still prefer Spanish
Great that many of you like the German language :smile: I always thought that non-Germans hate the sound of our language since it's a "hard" language

Well, I like English :biggrin: But I guess that doesn't count here :biggrin: I studied 4 years of Latin... I found it horrible and I forgot almost everything I must admit :tongue:
I like Spanish very much but also Italian. And one language that I def wanna learn in the future is Arabic, I don't know why but it sounds awesome :tongue:
Original post by Lewis :D
I study French and Spanish, I'm miles better at French and it comes out of my mouth more naturally and I understand the grammar more, but I still prefer Spanish

We are both from Bridgend, small world :h:
Original post by nightmare91
Great that many of you like the German language :smile: I always thought that non-Germans hate the sound of our language since it's a "hard" language

Ah I love the quirky long German words best :h:

The other thing about French and German is German the grammar rules are hard, but once you've put the effort in to learn them they become common sense, whereas French its like you learn the rules, then you spend ages learning the 100s of exception to the rules.
I think Spanish sounds warmer.
But I'm better at French.
Reply 18
Right now I'm studying Russian & Polish... I much prefer Russian (which is good as it's my main language) - the consonant clusters in Polish just make my head hurt sometimes!
Reply 19
Haha oh dear, got much of your degree left? :tongue:

Another year left :colonhash:

I'm so glad I'm joint honours though otherwise I would've jumped out a window by now :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending