The Student Room Group

Language Students, do you have a 'favourite language'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deutsch_Beth
Nothing geeky about that :tongue: I find the people at uni that prefer German to their other language, me included, seem to love the grammar as well :biggrin:

When the german grammar makes sense, its lovely. If I'm having some grammar thing explained to me for the second time, and the teacher whos doing it gets it wrong, not so nice. And I so wish my textbook wouldnt make such a mess of explaining it/ just going 'but you dont need to use this at AS level, and not giving much explanation of how to form or use it.
Reply 21
I'm studying german and spanish. Speaking of fluency I'm way better in german (by the way i'm speaking austrian german, so i don't find the sound of it particularly annoying) but I'd say my favourite is spanish, it sounds more passionate and the grammar is more logical and easy.
I did GCSE French ,German and Gujarati and loved German a lot more than the others. (It's a bit shameful considering Gujarati is my mother-tongue :colondollar:)

Therefore I'm doing AS German now, and hopefully A2 German next year :biggrin:
Reply 23
I'm doing French and Spanish AS and want to do them both at uni, but I'm much stronger at French so I prefer it:smile:. But I love the way Spanish sounds!
I've learnt some French + Spanish and i definitely prefer French because i love the sounds of the words and i just think the ways that the letters are arranged looks pretty :smile:

Although, i've recently been looking into Russian, and can't help but find that rather amazing (i quite like grammar) :tongue:
I'm doing spanish, italian and a little chinese and my fav has to be spanish, I find it easier and i think it sounds lovely :smile:
Reply 26
I'm studying French and Spanish, but not at the same level! I'm doing advanced french and introductory spanish, because I only had spanish to GCSE but have French to A Level :smile: I find I'm better at spanish because it's at a lower level, and everything I've done so far I've done at school! And for that reason I like it more- I generally get less stressed with Spanish haha!
But I do love french very much. I prefer french grammar to spanish, but I prefer to read things in spanish... it's very strange lol
Cantonese---->Mandarin------->Japanese over here, Mandarin is my strongest but I absolutely adore cantonese and get depressed when I realize my mandarin has cannibalized it.
Between French, Spanish and Italian, I prefer Spanish. It sounds nicer.
I do Spanish and German at GCSE and I like Spanish so much more. For me, Spanish is simply a nicer language, also my Spanish teacher is better.
I'd like to learn Italian in the future too :rolleyes:
Reply 30
I study both French and Spanish at A-level, and even though I find Spanish easier and I'm better at it, I'm doing French as part of my degree at university next year... It's just so much more interesting! I also have this habit of never making things easy for myself... :tongue:
Reply 31
I am learning French and Italian, somehow I have a slight preference to Italian but they're equally both great to learn :biggrin: I have a slight love for the Greek language and would love to become more fluent in the near future :colondollar:.
Can't make a judgment. Bummed French over the winter because I lived in France, now can't really make a decision between that and Spanish.
Going to do Spanish & German at uni, and I've never had a favourite! Probably because they're both so different, I love writing in German b/c of grammar and speaking in Spanish because of how quickly you can talk. I guess they both have different positives but neither have any particular negatives :smile:
I do French and German for AS, and I prefer German. I find it easier to make my writing/speaking more like a native speaker's because the grammar is more logical and I understand how it works more than I do in French. I would like to study them both at university though.
Original post by Deutsch_Beth
As the title says really, for those of us studying 2 or more languages, whether it be GCSE, A Level, Uni or self teaching, do you prefer one to the other?

If so, why?

For instance, I study French and German at the same 'stage' (Southampton uni thing), and am actually better at French and find it easier, but I just cannot help but love German so much more. Not sure why except possibly that I had a very inspirational and good German teacher at A level and pretty poor/broken teaching for French.

I study both Spanish and French at A-level (I also studied German and Italian at GCSE). Spanish is my favourite - partly due to my teacher, partly due to the language and also partly because of the literature. My spoken Spanish is also better than my spoken French, although my written French is superior to my written Spanish. That's probably due to the fact that I started learning Spanish GCSE in year 10 and I started French in my last year of primary school. But since then I've had a lot more practice at speaking Spanish, so that probably explains the difference.

I also really enjoyed German and regret not continuing it - that said, I didn't want to study 3 languages at A-level because the course content is repetitive (same exam board) and because I didn't think it gave me a wide enough range of subjects for my chosen degree course. I keep in touch with a German exchange partner from 5 years back though and visit her annually, and plan on taking up German again (and continuing French) at university. Spanish is already part of my degree course.

As for Italian, I did it in 1 year, got a GCSE A* (no idea how!) but I didn't really enjoy it. I don't particulaly like the language and Italy isn't my most favourite country in the world. I guess I just studied it to give it a go and so I could say I took 4 foreign languages at GCSE!

Whoops, I guess that answer was probably a lot more detailed than the OP was asking for. :tongue:
I studied German and Mandarin Chinese back in GCSE, getting a B and an A* respectively D: Chinese i brought onto AS and achieved an A, but i wouldn't say it was a favorite language.
I would say mine is Japanese/Korean, which im self-studying in both :]
However, this is because of my interest in their cultures and the sound of the language when spoken :biggrin: but i guess the most influential thing that made me love these languages is the TV Dramas they produce from both Japan and Korea, and also the music from Korea influences me towards the korean language ^^
me being asian also creates some bias i guess as well (:
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm studying both German and Spanish, but can't choose between them...!
German's gorgeous and set deeper - studied it since year 7, but Spanish is easier and exciting.
We don't have to choose between them, do we? :P
Oh dear, am I the only one who still has a lot of love for French? :love: Having said that, I'd absolutely love to learn Spanish... sometimes I wish I'd taken that alongside French, but I love studying Politics too.
Reply 39
Original post by Stressworthy
Oh dear, am I the only one who still has a lot of love for French? :love: Having said that, I'd absolutely love to learn Spanish... sometimes I wish I'd taken that alongside French, but I love studying Politics too.

Nope, I also have a love for French! You should try Spanish though, it's similar to French in some respects so you'd probably find it fairly easy to pick up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending