The Student Room Group

TSR Republican Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Relaxicat
No, you see, the suffragettes weren't the same as the monarchy, they were women who sought for votes through organised protest.

Your identity is very much related to the queen, whether you like it or not. Tell someone abroad that you're British, and that is what they will associate you with.
As an individualist I respectfully disagree. As a nation we're famous for having our Royal Family but that doesn't mean when I talk to a girl in Germany the first thing she thinks of is "Prince Philip!". At least I hope not, although you never know after a few drinks.

I can't see how you've 'told me several times already', i'm not sure i've actually ever spoken to you before...
Probably got you confused with other posters in this thread, it happens.

As for your tourism argument, presumably this one:

It's essentially nonsense because you overestimate the power of the Royal Family. Do you recall that Cromwell won? No? We currently have a democratic system. This is why everybody votes. The queen has no real power, her rights and duties are basically ceremonial.

Cromwell won... and established a totalitarian dictatorship to make the absolutism of the cavaliers look fun. And if she is basically ceremonial then why the devil does her office need to exist?

Tourism is worth more than 'a few postcards', in 1999 tourism brought in about £61 billion - not all due to the monarchy, but their image is no doubt a significant contribution.
Significant contribution? I suspect most tourists never see the royal family, when those that come here in regards to sightseeing they're here to see the sights and the historical associations of it. I suspect the vast majority would come to see Windsor Castle regardless of if a pleasant 85 year old lady was in one of the other rooms signing documents into law. Sightseeing and tourism is a massive thing for Germany and it's hundreds upon thousands of castles and manors and yet their Emperors, Kings, Princes and Grand Dukes no longer legally hold their titles or wield any de jure force!

You descend into fantasy here: "we could easily maintain the actual family via a charitable system... etc etc... " so i'm not going to bother answering.

I am inclined agree. It would be needless, even if we take away the Crown Estates associated with the office of the crown and the ducal territories associated with the dukedoms (hereditary title removal, I suspect, would be a necessity of a Republican Government) then the Royal Family is still a relatively wealthy holder of private capital. Obviously not as rich as they are now but I suspect the vast majority of Britains would sell their liver to have a life as good as Citizen Windsor.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Fusilero
Cromwell won... and established a totalitarian dictatorship to make the absolutism of the cavaliers look fun. And if she is basically ceremonial then why the devil does her office need to exist?

It's a separation of powers matter, really: which is why no country goes without a Head of State (with the possible exception of Switzerland). Firstly the monarchy monopolises the symbology of the State in such a way as to prevent a political party of government leader hijacking them for themselves. Secondly she possesses certain powers which would be dangerous in the hands of the government or parliament as they directly impact them. The role is essentially that of denying these powers to the others without them fulfilling certain conditions or ensuring they don't abuse certain obligations in return (such as ensuring the government doesn't call an early election to kill of an internal party leadership challenge, for example).

Significant contribution? I suspect most tourists never see the royal family, when those that come here in regards to sightseeing they're here to see the sights and the historical associations of it. I suspect the vast majority would come to see Windsor Castle regardless of if a pleasant 85 year old lady was in one of the other rooms signing documents into law. Sightseeing and tourism is a massive thing for Germany and it's hundreds upon thousands of castles and manors and yet their Emperors, Kings, Princes and Grand Dukes no longer legally hold their titles or wield any de jure force!

Speaking anecdotally here, and in no way relying on the tourism argument, but I know of a good deal of Americans who are attracted to the UK because of the living, contemporary monarchy. It's the fact that these buildings belong to a real, existing monarch, and are not symbols of a past one, that fascinates them so, and they don't care if they never see the monarch when they're over here - they just know she's around.

I am inclined agree. It would be needless, even if we take away the Crown Estates associated with the office of the crown and the ducal territories associated with the dukedoms (hereditary title removal, I suspect, would be a necessity of a Republican Government)...

But not seizure of property - they might become Mr. and Mrs. Windsor, rather than the Dukes of Lancaster, Normandy and Cornwall, but they will still have absolute rights to the land they own.

...then the Royal Family is still a relatively wealthy holder of private capital. Obviously not as rich as they are now but I suspect the vast majority of Britains would sell their liver to have a life as good as Citizen Windsor.

Absolutely :wink: which is why it makes me laugh when people criticise the royals for splashing out on personal things - almost certainly that's their own money being used, not the taxpayers'.
Reply 62
Original post by gladders
It's a separation of powers matter, really: which is why no country goes without a Head of State (with the possible exception of Switzerland). Firstly the monarchy monopolises the symbology of the State in such a way as to prevent a political party of government leader hijacking them for themselves. Secondly she possesses certain powers which would be dangerous in the hands of the government or parliament as they directly impact them. The role is essentially that of denying these powers to the others without them fulfilling certain conditions or ensuring they don't abuse certain obligations in return (such as ensuring the government doesn't call an early election to kill of an internal party leadership challenge, for example).

Speaking anecdotally here, and in no way relying on the tourism argument, but I know of a good deal of Americans who are attracted to the UK because of the living, contemporary monarchy. It's the fact that these buildings belong to a real, existing monarch, and are not symbols of a past one, that fascinates them so, and they don't care if they never see the monarch when they're over here - they just know she's around.

But not seizure of property - they might become Mr. and Mrs. Windsor, rather than the Dukes of Lancaster, Normandy and Cornwall, but they will still have absolute rights to the land they own.

Absolutely :wink: which is why it makes me laugh when people criticise the royals for splashing out on personal things - almost certainly that's their own money being used, not the taxpayers'.

A minor note is that they don't own that land as private property, it's held by the office of the Duke of Lancaster, Cornwall and the office of the Crown. They do have a fair amount of private property but the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall is not it. The reason those two are not part of the Crown Estates is for historical reasons and the relationship between the title of the Dukedoms and the Kingship but that doesn't mean they're the Windsor Family's private property. The relationship of Mrs Elizabeth Windsor and these lands is linked to her office rather than her person and therefore they are not her private property. If she abdicated her titles and Parliament decided to go nuts and pass an Act to declare the Stuart line as valid again and give the crown to Franz, Duke of Bavaria the Windsors would lose the capital of the Crown Estate, the Duchy of Lancaster and Cornwall as they are tied to the office and not to any person or family but would retain a fair amount of their own private capital such as Balmoral. There's an excellent essay written by the Crown Estate describing the relationship between the Office of the Crown, the Person of the Crown and all their lands and I'll post it here tomorrow if I remember.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by flugelr

The Queen--in-Parliament can only give Royal Assent with the advise and consent of the House of Commons. She has no ability to write legislation on her own.

Although the Queen still has the power to withold Royal Assent, I can't see this happening except in some dire situation where I could actually be advantageous.

Furthermore, I'd ask what the advantages of having a President over a Monarchy are? It doesn't really add anything and takes a lot away.

I'm aware she cannot write legislature, my focal point is really Royal Assent.

What's interesting is that you've stated "you can't see this happening". Although you qualify this with "in some dire situation", the point remains: the Queen could withold her Royal Assent.

Out of interest, what would having a President rather than a Monarchy take away?

The primary concern here is the democratically elected Head of State as opposed to an unelected Monarch.
Reply 64
No, you see, the suffragettes weren't the same as the monarchy, they were women who sought for votes through organised protest.

Your identity is very much related to the queen, whether you like it or not. Tell someone abroad that you're British, and that is what they will associate you with.

I can't see how you've 'told me several times already', i'm not sure i've actually ever spoken to you before...

As for your tourism argument, presumably this one:

"As I've said before, it's a rubbish argument for either side to use - changing to a truly Democratic system (or keeping a good one, if you're a monarchist) should be worth more than a few postcards. Furthermore, we could easily maintain the actual family via a charitable system - supporters give money each month which goes to the Windsor family. I'd clear them out of Buck House and make it a full time museum, but there's no reason that they can't live in one of their privately owned castles, and carry on with the soap opera (which is what the Americans actually care about) whilst having no political links with the state."

It's essentially nonsense because you overestimate the power of the Royal Family. Do you recall that Cromwell won? No? We currently have a democratic system. This is why everybody votes. The queen has no real power, her rights and duties are basically ceremonial.

Tourism is worth more than 'a few postcards', in 1999 tourism brought in about £61 billion - not all due to the monarchy, but their image is no doubt a significant contribution.

You descend into fantasy here: "we could easily maintain the actual family via a charitable system... etc etc... " so i'm not going to bother answering.

I dont wish to become involved with the wider argument the two of you are having, but I have two important points to raise in relation to your statements in the above post:

1.) Why is my identity related to the Queen just because someone abroad might associate her with the country? This is a very poor argument. Just because someone might - for the sake of argument - associate Crocodile Dundee with Australia doesn't mean it tells me anything about Australians in general.

2.) You state that the image of the Monarchy is a "significant contribution" to tourism, but have you actually got any facts to back this assertion up?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
"British republic" hmm it's got a nice charm to it.
Reply 66
Original post by zjs
I dont wish to become involved with the wider argument the two of you are having, but I have two important points to raise in relation to your statements in the above post:

1.) Why is my identity related to the Queen just because someone abroad might associate her with the country? This is a very poor argument. Just because someone might - for the sake of argument - associate Crocodile Dundee with Australia doesn't mean it tells me anything about Australians in general.

2.) You state that the image of the Monarchy is a "significant contribution" to tourism, but have you actually got any facts to back this assertion up?

Interesting points, my answers:

1) Well, with the crocodile dundee example, i think it reasonable to claim that when people think about Australia, it's probably one of the images that would come to mind, as well as sharks/bondi/bruces etc... so yes exactly, it wouldn't tell us anything about Australians in general, but it's an associated image; so with you, your identity isn't related to the queen, but people (believe me, i've had experience of this) will possibly associate you with all things british (in a jocular way): snobbery, class, the monarchy, silly accents etc. etc., it's more of our national identity: a relic of the empire.

2) For the reasons above, i'd say that it contributes to a romantic picture of Britain: the guards in silly hats who don't smile, etc. But no, i have no facts im afraid, although the 68 billion figure is verifiable.
Reply 67
Interesting points, my answers:

1) Well, with the crocodile dundee example, i think it reasonable to claim that when people think about Australia, it's probably one of the images that would come to mind, as well as sharks/bondi/bruces etc... so yes exactly, it wouldn't tell us anything about Australians in general, but it's an associated image; so with you, your identity isn't related to the queen, but people (believe me, i've had experience of this) will possibly associate you with all things british (in a jocular way): snobbery, class, the monarchy, silly accents etc. etc., it's more of our national identity: a relic of the empire.

2) For the reasons above, i'd say that it contributes to a romantic picture of Britain: the guards in silly hats who don't smile, etc. But no, i have no facts im afraid, although the 68 billion figure is verifiable.

In response to point (1): why does our national identity hinge on the perception of others? Isn't this a national stereotype that you're arguing for, rather than a national identity? Likewise, what does it have to do with the retention or abolition of the Monarchy whatsoever? I might think of the Ku Klux Klan as synonymous with the Southern States of the USA but that's no argument for them to be retained or endorsed.

As for (2), yes, I'm aware that the figure for tourism to the UK is verifiable, but that's immaterial. All you're telling me is that, because we have a £68bn tourism industry in the UK, the Monarchy must account for a large portion of it. Yet you're not pointing to facts that back this assertion up (as you admit, you cannot). There's also a difference between arguing that the Monarchy feature high on the tourist agenda (although they might, your argument hasn't solidified this into any tangible fact) and that they form a large part of the annual turnover from tourism.
Reply 68
Original post by zjs
In response to point (1): why does our national identity hinge on the perception of others? Isn't this a national stereotype that you're arguing for, rather than a national identity? Likewise, what does it have to do with the retention or abolition of the Monarchy whatsoever? I might think of the Ku Klux Klan as synonymous with the Southern States of the USA but that's no argument for them to be retained or endorsed.

As for (2), yes, I'm aware that the figure for tourism to the UK is verifiable, but that's immaterial. All you're telling me is that, because we have a £68bn tourism industry in the UK, the Monarchy must account for a large portion of it. Yet you're not pointing to facts that back this assertion up (as you admit, you cannot). There's also a difference between arguing that the Monarchy feature high on the tourist agenda (although they might, your argument hasn't solidified this into any tangible fact) and that they form a large part of the annual turnover from tourism.

1) Fair enough - a stereotype, but one which i would say influences tourism - without them, would tourism really happen?

2) I have found some evidence, hurrah! http://www.cnntraveller.com/2010/07/30/monarchy-boosts-british-tourism/
Reply 69
1) Fair enough - a stereotype, but one which i would say influences tourism - without them, would tourism really happen?

2) I have found some evidence, hurrah! http://www.cnntraveller.com/2010/07/30/monarchy-boosts-british-tourism/

1.) Yes! People don't come to the UK exclusively to see things related to the Monarchy; arguing that is ludicrous.

2.) "The survey found that culture and heritage, in the widest sense and including theatres, galleries, castles and stately homes generated £4.6 billion in total spending by overseas tourists in 2009, and supported 100,000 jobs.

Within that total one in eight sites ranging from the Tower of London to The Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh and Ruthin Castle in Wales are associated with monarchy. The report reveals that foreign tourists who visited them generated £500 million of spending, directly and indirectly.
"

Of the £68bn yearly revenue from tourism to the UK, £4.6bn is generated by "culture and heritage" - and the nearest that comes to the Monarchy is that there is an "association" between the Monarchy and 1 in 8 sites. This is very vague, and a ruined castle's Royal history hardly has any bearing on the current Monarchy.

Likewise, for all your arguments about the Monarchy generating massive revenue for UK tourism - the article explicitly states it generated "well over" £500million last year... out of £68billion - if you're sticking to that figure. Even if we're generous, the upper ceiling on this would be around £600million generated directly by the Monarchy. That's around less than ~1/100th of the UK's tourism revenue from the Monarchy.
Reply 70
Original post by zjs
I'm aware she cannot write legislature, my focal point is really Royal Assent.

What's interesting is that you've stated "you can't see this happening". Although you qualify this with "in some dire situation", the point remains: the Queen could withold her Royal Assent.

True, but it is one of those things that is so unlikely it isn't really worth worrying about tbh.

However, we could probably argue this point to the ends of the earth.

Original post by zjs
Out of interest, what would having a President rather than a Monarchy take away?

The primary concern here is the democratically elected Head of State as opposed to an unelected Monarch.

Firstly, it would take away the whole system we have to ensure that no one person or group can take power. The Prime Minister has the most power in recognition of the fact that he is elected, yet he still has to defer to and be appointed by the Monarch. On the other hand the monarch has little actual power of their own and owes their position to no-one but the people of the UK. In addition, the House of Lords - who owe their position to a small group - provide checks and balances on the Commons and on the Monarchy. Basically, in this country power is so spread and balanced, that no-one can wield extreme power and authority. Establish a presidency and suddenly one person or group can hold all of the power.

A good piece of writing on this subject was an essay by Orwell where he stated why he supported the Monarchy:
Orwell
The function of the King in promoting stability and acting as a sort of keystone in a non-democratic society is, of course, obvious. But he also has, or can have, the function of acting as an escape-valve for dangerous emotions. A French journalist said to me once that the monarchy was one of the things that have saved Britain from Fascism. What he meant was that modern people can’t, apparently, get along without drums, flags and loyalty parades, and that it is better that they should tie their leader-worship onto some figure who has no real power. In a dictatorship the power and the glory belong to the same person. In England the real power belongs to unprepossessing men in bowler hats: the creature who rides in a gilded coach behind soldiers in steel breast-plates is really a waxwork. It is at any rate possible that while this division of function exists a Hitler or a Stalin cannot come to power. On the whole the European countries which have most successfully avoided Fascism have been constitutional monarchies. The conditions seemingly are that the Royal Family shall be long-established and taken for granted, shall understand its own position and shall not produce strong characters with political ambitions. These have been fulfilled in Britain, the Low Countries and Scandinavia, but not in, say, Spain or Rumania. If you point these facts out to the average left-winger he gets very angry, but only because he has not examined the nature of his own feelings towards Stalin. I do not defend the institution of monarchy in an absolute sense, but I think that in an age like our own it may have an inoculating effect, and certainly it does far less harm than the existence of our so-called aristocracy. I have often advocated that a Labour government, i.e. one that meant business, would abolish titles while retaining the Royal Family.

Another thing is that the Queen is Head-of-State of 16 Realms and Territories across the globe, and she is also Head of the Commonwealth. We have a unique bond with each of these places - particularly the Commonwealth Realms - a bond which has led us to even go to war in support of each other in the past.

In Australia soldiers swear loyalty to the Queen. In Jamaica the Government is headed by the Queen's Prime Minister. The Queen is Head of the Commonwealth of Nations. Take away that one solid link between us all, and suddenly we are no-longer linked except in words and treaties. I think that would be a great loss.

In addition, I see the role of Head-of-State as a uniting figure. The monarchy currently range between 75-85% approval ratings. The last person to have been nationally elected with a majority of 50%+ was Stanley Baldwin in 1931. It seems to me that electing someone splits people into camps. Our current PM, for example, only got 30-odd% and if you don't like him, you loath him. Blair, Brown, Major and every other PM were the same. Look at places like the US or France for proof of just how divisive this can be.

People can never fully back an elected head-of-state because it is highly likely that he/she will not have the support of even the majority of people. On the other hand, most people support the monarchy and the monarchy has proved over and over again that they can unite millions of Britons behind them.

Furthermore, I just like a lot of the tradition, history and pageantry. I like the UK being associated with the Queen. I like having things like the Royal Navy and the Royal Hospital. I don't particularly want to be in the 'United Republic', send my letter by 'Republic Mail' and so on.
im a Socialist, so to me the monarchy are repulsive, people should either have direct powers of the head of state or at the very least be able to chose who that head of state is, the land of the monarchy belongs to the people and we should use it either for museums and the like or for the public good, there money is extortionate, no head of state is worth that much, no matter how much "work" they do, they also represent the aristocracy, people who have money, power and land for nothing but delusions of divinity and more delusions about there bloodline. reverence and that kind of land, money and power should be earned on merit, not given out for nonsensical reasons.
Reply 72
Original post by zjs
1.) Yes! People don't come to the UK exclusively to see things related to the Monarchy; arguing that is ludicrous.

2.) "The survey found that culture and heritage, in the widest sense and including theatres, galleries, castles and stately homes generated £4.6 billion in total spending by overseas tourists in 2009, and supported 100,000 jobs.

Within that total one in eight sites ranging from the Tower of London to The Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh and Ruthin Castle in Wales are associated with monarchy. The report reveals that foreign tourists who visited them generated £500 million of spending, directly and indirectly.
"

Of the £68bn yearly revenue from tourism to the UK, £4.6bn is generated by "culture and heritage" - and the nearest that comes to the Monarchy is that there is an "association" between the Monarchy and 1 in 8 sites. This is very vague, and a ruined castle's Royal history hardly has any bearing on the current Monarchy.

Likewise, for all your arguments about the Monarchy generating massive revenue for UK tourism - the article explicitly states it generated "well over" £500million last year... out of £68billion - if you're sticking to that figure. Even if we're generous, the upper ceiling on this would be around £600million generated directly by the Monarchy. That's around less than ~1/100th of the UK's tourism revenue from the Monarchy.

You're one of those people who wouldn't accept a fact if it slapped them in the face, i think? Just graciously lose the argument... 600 million would still be rather significant, and I don't know what you mean by 'generated directly by the monarchy'; our ruined castles obviously have a lot to do with the monarchy, even the current ones (to have ancestors of famous people still living, for them to still live in Buckingham palace, their existent traditions, ROYAL WEDDINGS etc etc), and even if they didn't then they would still have relevance to British identity as relics of monarchies past.

I shall quote you another source (there are countless, because your argument that the monarchy is worth little to the country is so utterly wrong)

"Given that the Monarchy costs annually about 54 pence per tax payer, to an annual total of about 50 million pounds sterling, one does not need be smarter than a ten-year old to realise how much value-for-money the British Monarchy means for the National wealth, even considering associated costs usually indexed to Government Budget rather than the Royal Purse Budget.
However, money is not the only set of criteria here.
There is huge added value in it being a neutral, impartial Institution, floating well above the day-to-day political banter. It is important because it offers conditions of stability and neutral continuity no other regime system is able to sustain."

http://thespheresplow.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/british-monarchy-tourism-revenues-revealed-on-bbc/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 73
You're one of those people who wouldn't accept a fact if it slapped them in the face, i think? Just graciously lose the argument... 600 million would still be rather significant, and I don't know what you mean by 'generated directly by the monarchy'; our ruined castles obviously have a lot to do with the monarchy, even the current ones (to have ancestors of famous people still living, for them to still live in Buckingham palace, their existent traditions, ROYAL WEDDINGS etc etc), and even if they didn't then they would still have relevance to British identity as relics of monarchies past.

I shall quote you another source (there are countless, because your argument that the monarchy is worth little to the country is so utterly wrong)

"Given that the Monarchy costs annually about 54 pence per tax payer, to an annual total of about 50 million pounds sterling, one does not need be smarter than a ten-year old to realise how much value-for-money the British Monarchy means for the National wealth, even considering associated costs usually indexed to Government Budget rather than the Royal Purse Budget.
There is huge added value in it being a neutral, impartial Institution, floating well above the day-to-day political banter. It is important because it offers conditions of stability and neutral continuity no other regime system is able to sustain."

http://thespheresplow.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/british-monarchy-tourism-revenues-revealed-on-bbc/

Do not lower yourself to childish mud-slinging and insults, given the quality of your argument thus far - such as confusing national identity with national stereotypes.

So what? £600million may be a large amount, but that still doesn't make it significant. Especially out of a £68billion pound tourism industry. Likewise, it doesn't prove that having removing the Monarchy would mean that £600million would be lost.

It's impossible to actually engage in a discussion with you, as you're so vehemently in favour of the view that the Monarchy is - for some reason - essential to tourism in the UK that you refuse to see sense. Despite the figures showing you that they bring in, directly, less than 1/100th of the annual revenue from tourism and the links to monuments is very strenuous (i.e. ruined castles), you're still convinced that they're essential for tourism. While you continue with this assumption, you seem prepared to adapt all the facts to fit into your assumptions, whether true or not. The real problem with this is that you're argument is flawed in many places; your comments about national identity as but one example.

To quote you: "You're one of those people who wouldn't accept a fact if it slapped them in the face, i think?"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 74

It's £600 million from sites related to the monarchy, if we abolished the monarchy I'm pretty sure a large proportion of that won't disappear. In fact, more of the 'private' estates would be available and therefore people could visit those as well! I won't make absolute claims as to how much we'll lose/gain in monetary terms but I suspect it'll be plus or minus £100 million at most. In Germany the former holdings of their hundreds and hundreds of Dukes, Grand Dukes, Princes, Kings and Emperors from the Holy Roman Empire are still sights of interest today and are a core back bone of their tourism industry despite their various hereditary leaders not being in power.

Also, the Royal Wedding is likely a net loss to our economy due to the bank holiday, it's link with the Easter Bank Holidays and the three day working day (where productivity will be, I suspect, low!) resulting in a lot more people absconding the nation for a nice break. Not to mention if the Royal Wedding causes a stir, can you imagine how much interest would be generated over abolishing the Monarchy? Lastly, that blog is written by a partial writer, scouring through the rest of his blog he seems a dyed in the wool conservative. Taking other people's partial and personal arguments and using it as a counter argument and a 'source' is unusual, to say the least. Sources aren't usually other people's opinions (as all of us here have enough of that to throw around!) but facts and figures to support our viewpoint. Your CNN post would be a valid secondary source, the blog post not. It would be the same if I went to a pro-Republican Blog and stole verbatim from there. There's no sense trying to 'win' an argument with other people's arguments, the goal is to establish, entertain and educate yourself and your fellow posters. The fellow also compares us to Portugal as if that's the only other Republic in the world, it would be as if I was arguing for a republic using Saudi Arabia as an example of a monarchy!

I much prefer our constitutional monarchy to an absolute monarchy where Queen Elizabeth II can come into my house beat me up and take my stuff. I favour a constitutional republic along the French Model but a Parliamentary Republic would also be acceptable. Vive la France! Vive la République! An interesting side note is that the French Prime Minister in 1956 wanted to form a personal union between our two countries, taking Queen Elizabeth II as Queen and joining into a single nation. After we rejected them they went and formed the EEC, swings and roundabouts eh? Mind you, when it was later revealed to their parliament Prime Minister Mollet was not a popular man. This took some time as Mr Mollet quietly dropped the idea after his rejection without entering it into any official records. Several people suggested he should have got his arse in front of a court to face charges of treason and conspiring with the enemy!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 75
The Monarch is still important in today’s society; it ensures a non-political head of state and provides the final layer on the checks on Parliament. And as Churchill said, "While the Queen occupies the highest office of state, no one can take over the government. While she is head of the law, no politician can take over the courts. While she is ultimately in command of the Armed Forces, no would-be dictator can take over the Army." So far from being contrary to liberal-democracy (which is a sort of contradiction anyway) the Monarchy safeguards a liberal democracy as well as the country as a whole. In reality a Monarchy is irrelevant as to whether a nation is a liberal-democracy anyway, the Kingdom of Sweden is often sighted as some sort of liberal haven yet it is a Constitutional Monarchy.

I can think of three examples in recent times where a Constitutional Monarch (or royal representative) has averted disaster. First of all there is the 1975 Australian constitutional crisis. On this occasion the Governor-General, Sir John Kerr, dismissed the government of Gough Whitlam when the Senate withheld Supply to the government which made political deadlock. There is the recent Belgian Constitutional crisis where it looked as if the country was going to split in two, but the King, risking his throne, has sorted the whole mess out appointing interim governments and heading negotiations between the parties. Then there was in 1921 when the King, who had made his unhappiness at the behaviour of the Black and Tans in Ireland well known to his government, was dissatisfied with the official speech prepared for him for the opening of the new Parliament of Northern Ireland. King George read out his own speech on reconciliation which is widely credited as the catalyst of goodwill which led to a truce, ending the Anglo-Irish War. The reason for these uses of royal power stems from the Liberal thinking that men will always seek there own self interest. A Monarch is unique in that there own self interest is wholly intertwined with his kingdom, therefore a Monarch is always looking out for the best interests of the state and its people and as such is both a protector of democracy and the man to step in when democracy has failed.

The Figurehead role of the Monarch is much higher than that of an elected head of state, who is only there for 4 years and wont have anywhere near the same amount of respect or support both at home and abroad. The perfect head of state transcends class, race and politics and a Monarchy is the best way to get this. The best example for this concept is the Kingdom of Spain, the Spaniards have recently reinstated there monarchy as a uniting force for the nation where the wounds and divides from General Franco’s regime are still fresh.

I have first hand experience with the advantage of having non-political state representatives at the top. During my time as Lord Lieutenant Cadet I often saw members of the Royal Family coming to our county to visit or open things. The Countess of Wessex was here to open a centre for the blind and the people were very happy to have her, it shows recognition of there hard work from the state. However if the local MP did it they would not be happy since half of them hate him, such is the nature of politics. On the ground level the RF do a lot of good work which is often ignored. Its published in the civil list everyday but since its being going for centuries it just isn't news, and since it isn't news people forget.

Now to counteract these arguments you may point to America where the state is protected by separation of powers and the constitution. Yet the USA is unique in that it is essentially 50 countries united into one covering a vast geographical area. In a much smaller country like Britain a Labour man from Glasgow is, more or less, going to believe in the same things as a Labour man from London. This unites the party in a such away American party leaders can only hope for and make a party for more powerful. Now if the Lords and Monarch were replaced with an electoral system it is quite possible both houses and head of state may be controlled by one party, in such a situation that party could get away with just about anything including the re-writing of said constitution to suit there own needs. A case in point would be the French Republic, now on its 5th incarnation, each republic was safeguarded by a constitution and yet four of them have failed. I would be wary of vesting power into what it simply a pieced of paper, look what happened to the Treaty of Versailles.

Republicans always harp on about the cost of the monarchy, but this argument is fundamentally flawed. Tax money goes to the Queen only for official duties, house up-keep etc. The rest of the Royal Family have there own private estates or get money from the Queens Private estate. Furthermore; in return for the civil list the Government gets the revenue from the Crown Estate which is £190 million per year, much more than the £11.2m which the Queen gets on the civil list or the rather dubious cost estimate of £150m from the Republic group. But in reality the financial argument against the institution is irrelevant because a Presidents office would still have to be funded and the palaces maintained. However no matter which side of the argument you are on you must agree Britain’s constitutional future should not be determined by finance.
Reply 76
Once again we come back to tourism...oh dear. The tourism argument doesn't matter!

However, I find my association with a monarchy and living within a United Kingdom to be far more charming and positive than living in a sterile, dull and factory-formed republic.
Reply 77
Original post by gladders
Once again we come back to tourism...oh dear. The tourism argument doesn't matter!

However, I find my association with a monarchy and living within a United Kingdom to be far more charming and positive than living in a sterile, dull and factory-formed republic.

I'm not a fan of the Tourism or Financial argument either, everyone seems to love it though.
Reply 78
I'm not a fan of the Tourism or Financial argument either, everyone seems to love it though.

It does seem to be fall-back position for many, yes.
Reply 79
It's £600 million from sites related to the monarchy, if we abolished the monarchy I'm pretty sure a large proportion of that won't disappear. In fact, more of the 'private' estates would be available and therefore people could visit those as well! I won't make absolute claims as to how much we'll lose/gain in monetary terms but I suspect it'll be plus or minus £100 million at most. In Germany the former holdings of their hundreds and hundreds of Dukes, Grand Dukes, Princes, Kings and Emperors from the Holy Roman Empire are still sights of interest today and are a core back bone of their tourism industry despite their various hereditary leaders not being in power.

Also, the Royal Wedding is likely a net loss to our economy due to the bank holiday, it's link with the Easter Bank Holidays and the three day working day (where productivity will be, I suspect, low!) resulting in a lot more people absconding the nation for a nice break. Not to mention if the Royal Wedding causes a stir, can you imagine how much interest would be generated over abolishing the Monarchy? Lastly, that blog is written by a partial writer, scouring through the rest of his blog he seems a dyed in the wool conservative. Taking other people's partial and personal arguments and using it as a counter argument and a 'source' is unusual, to say the least. Sources aren't usually other people's opinions (as all of us here have enough of that to throw around!) but facts and figures to support our viewpoint. Your CNN post would be a valid secondary source, the blog post not. It would be the same if I went to a pro-Republican Blog and stole verbatim from there. There's no sense trying to 'win' an argument with other people's arguments, the goal is to establish, entertain and educate yourself and your fellow posters. The fellow also compares us to Portugal as if that's the only other Republic in the world, it would be as if I was arguing for a republic using Saudi Arabia as an example of a monarchy!

I much prefer our constitutional monarchy to an absolute monarchy where Queen Elizabeth II can come into my house beat me up and take my stuff. I favour a constitutional republic along the French Model but a Parliamentary Republic would also be acceptable. Vive la France! Vive la République! An interesting side note is that the French Prime Minister in 1956 wanted to form a personal union between our two countries, taking Queen Elizabeth II as Queen and joining into a single nation. After we rejected them they went and formed the EEC, swings and roundabouts eh? Mind you, when it was later revealed to their parliament Prime Minister Mollet was not a popular man. This took some time as Mr Mollet quietly dropped the idea after his rejection without entering it into any official records. Several people suggested he should have got his arse in front of a court to face charges of treason and conspiring with the enemy!

Ok thanks for the utterly incorrect lecture on referencing there...

"Taking other people's partial and personal arguments and using it as a counter argument and a 'source' is unusual, to say the least. Sources aren't usually other people's opinions (as all of us here have enough of that to throw around!) but facts and figures to support our viewpoint. "

Er, no. I take it you're either not at uni, or are at a really appalling one because the majority of sources people use are taken from academic work such as books and journal articles which consist purely of other people's opinions. You seem to suggest there is such thing as an impartial writer - not a chance! And lol no the CNN is absolutely not an objective source, the media is as partial as everything else. (I admit that blogs are not a bastion of academic thoroughness, i was merely showing you the ubiquity of opinions confirming mine).

This sentence is merely nonsense so i won't take your points any further...:

"There's no sense trying to 'win' an argument with other people's arguments, the goal is to establish, entertain and educate yourself and your fellow posters. "

Anyway, aside from petty arguments over sources, utilised in order to perk up your failing argument,

"I much prefer our constitutional monarchy to an absolute monarchy where Queen Elizabeth II can come into my house beat me up and take my stuff. "

I think you misunderstand absolute monarchy.

And finally:

This is pure conjecture, written on an unfounded and un-sourced basis, and is therefore an example of everything you have been attempting to criticise me for. You pull 'plus or minus 100 million' out of completely thin air, and then seem to think its reasonable for you to tell me that the monarchy is the backbone, or 'core' of the german tourism industry whilst criticising me for saying our monarchy is the background of our tourism industry?

Your bank holiday argument is also quite nonsensical, and overtly capitalist. The majority of our holidays are not linked to the monarchy, they are linked to religion. Along your reasoning, lets just abolish christmas, halloween and easter!

Here's another example, focussing on the royal wedding alone (which you must believe is true because it's a news website like CNN.... )

http://www.attractionsmanagement.com/detail1.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=227363&site=AM&dom=N

...So do you see why your arguments absolutely don't stand up? The lack of logical argument behind them, and your voluminous hypocrisy, do nothing to help...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending