The Student Room Group

Made in Chelsea

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Jar of Hearts
Her smiles so weird... she shows like all of her top and bottom teeth?!

and now i'm trying to smile with both top and bottom teeth..

lol yeh it so dodge. She kinda scares me. And my god Ollie looks like Pocahuntus!
Original post by emmanottinghil
A lot of people visualise the "upper class" as just the royal family plus some earls and landed gentry and everyone below that as "middle class" but this isn't reality. Generally people who live off investments, don't have to work particularly hard or in a "career way" but have property and income are somewhere above the middle class. Middle class, even "upper-middles" have to work at a career and are generally professional people. People above that are something else - either "upper" or "owning" class. In Britain, people tend to call them "rich" or "posh" but those terms can be confusing as a lot of "rich" people can be originally from the working class (think of Alan Sugar) and might still associate themselves with that identity in their minds; in my experience people called "posh" are often part of the upper-middles or, as in the case of Victoria B, not actually posh at all. Oh dear, such a lot of confusion.

I think at least some of the supposed "characters" of Made in C are probably above middle-class, or at least they are meant to be. In reality, some are lower down the scale than this programme would like us to think.

A lot of "upper class" people don't like to say they are, for fear of ridicule and loathing. So they hide in the "upper middle class".

you raise a good point i think, but i disagree with you slightly. i'd say pretty much no one is upper class, exception of those who own houses that have been in their family for generations and have titles. anyone below this is not upper class, but upper middle. many etonians/harrovians are very middle class (which is no bad thing). all of the characters are solidly upper middle class, but if we want to make it even more complicated some are upper-upper-middle class and some are lower-upper-middle class.

Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
Oh ok fair enough. Is there any chance you could message me then please? Sorry! It's just really interesting, and with any luck I might be able to squeeze a dissertation out of it next year. :colondollar:

i wouldn't say any put on a voice at all, but some of them do make an effort to tone down their RP/some do not have such a strong accent, amber/caggie.
Original post by toofaforu
you raise a good point i think, but i disagree with you slightly. i'd say pretty much no one is upper class, exception of those who own houses that have been in their family for generations and have titles. anyone below this is not upper class, but upper middle. many etonians/harrovians are very middle class (which is no bad thing). all of the characters are solidly upper middle class, but if we want to make it even more complicated some are upper-upper-middle class and some are lower-upper-middle class.

i wouldn't say any put on a voice at all, but some of them do make an effort to tone down their RP/some do not have such a strong accent, amber/caggie.

It's a fond misconception in England that you need a title to be above the middle class. (I'm taking the latter term in this instance to include the "upper-middle class"). A lot depends on definitions and i am speaking now sociologically rather than just in common parlance, but the difference is interesting. Sociologically, the middle class typically consists of people who owe their position to their job, but who do not engage in manual labour and who particularly could be considered to be in "professional occupations". The term "middle class" is very, very confusingly used nowadays, not least in the US, where people use it to distinguish between the non-working poor underclass (pejorative terms like "trailer trash" attaching to those folk) and anyone with a regular job. Britain used to be free of this confusion but many people are now reluctant to be labelled "working-class", so you get, as in a recent TV study, taxi drivers and brickies calling themselves "middle-class".

If you take the sociological definition, people who derive their position in society not from work, but from inherited wealth, or who own substantial wealth such that work is not a pressing concern, are not "middle class". They are outside it and clearly belong to some other class.

Yes, for sure, people in the UK are very uncomfortable being associated with the term "upper class" because it conveys all the horrors of the Downton Abbey degenerate peerage and archaic characteristics. That narrow segment of the upper class still exists. A much larger class of people now exist who, especially recently, are inheriting substantial wealth from parents with jobs - things like city traders and business owners - such that work is no longer a pressing concern. You can label them "upper middle class" if you wish, but it ain't really true.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's a fond misconception in England that you need a title to be above the middle class. (I'm taking the latter term in this instance to include the "upper-middle class"). A lot depends on definitions and i am speaking now sociologically rather than just in common parlance, but the difference is interesting. Sociologically, the middle class typically consists of people who owe their position to their job, but who do not engage in manual labour and who particularly could be considered to be in "professional occupations". The term "middle class" is very, very confusingly used nowadays, not least in the US, where people use it to distinguish between the non-working poor underclass (pejorative terms like "trailer trash" attaching to those folk) and anyone with a regular job. Britain used to be free of this confusion but many people are now reluctant to be labelled "working-class", so you get, as in a recent TV study, taxi drivers and brickies calling themselves "middle-class".

If you take the sociological definition, people who derive their position in society not from work, but from inherited wealth, or who own substantial wealth such that work is not a pressing concern, are not "middle class". They are outside it and clearly belong to some other class.

Yes, for sure, people in the UK are very uncomfortable being associated with the term "upper class" because it conveys all the horrors of the Downton Abbey degenerate peerage and archaic characteristics. That narrow segment of the upper class still exists. A much larger class of people now exist who, especially recently, are inheriting substantial wealth from parents with jobs - things like city traders and business owners - such that work is no longer a pressing concern. You can label them "upper middle class" if you wish, but it ain't really true.

hmm...but many of the upper class, the traditional that is, work is very much of a concern. i know someone who's grandfather is a very prestigious titled peer, yet their father, not the heir to the state, is rich, but they are not 'minted'. work is very much a concern for them, and his children are definitely going to have to get/already have jobs

alternatively, would you consider someone who's grandfather is as working class as you get, but as you say, work is not a concern for him at all because his family are that rich. there is a clear distinction in class between these two real life examples.

i would say that work and monetary matters do not factor into the english class system, unlike the american where it is based on that completely.
Original post by toofaforu
hmm...but many of the upper class, the traditional that is, work is very much of a concern. i know someone who's grandfather is a very prestigious titled peer, yet their father, not the heir to the state, is rich, but they are not 'minted'. work is very much a concern for them, and his children are definitely going to have to get/already have jobs

alternatively, would you consider someone who's grandfather is as working class as you get, but as you say, work is not a concern for him at all because his family are that rich. there is a clear distinction in class between these two real life examples.

i would say that work and monetary matters do not factor into the english class system, unlike the american where it is based on that completely.

I agree that it isn't simple! I also agree that there is an overlay of "non-monetary family pedigree" associated with the upper classes, both here and in the States, such that you can have people from traditionally upper-class families who need to work. Also of course some people like barristers or very top professionals who are basically middle-class can move up into the tier where property, investments, etc are their main concern. This kind of fluidity constantly stirs the class system. It's also much less rigid than it once was in the UK in the sense that family tree is not the determinant it once was.

There is also an element of self-decision about class. People "decide" to be "middle-class" and take it on. However, sociologists would argue that this type of decision does not make it so. If you look at the formal definitions, social class A consists of the top professions, barristers, top doctors, chief executives and the like. People can and do ape the lifestyles, manners and choices of the As but that does not make them an A. The government identifies everybody by the job of the head of household and their own position.

Similarly, taxi drivers and plumbers are not "middle-class" no matter how much they would like to claim they are. People who live off inherited wealth or large investments are not middle class, no matter how much they would like to pretend they are. They may do jobs they do not need to do on strict monetary grounds and they may hail from either middle, working or upper classes, but their current status is defined.

One of the hallmarks incidentally of having moved above the "upper-middle class" is that you employ upper-middles to do your bidding. The wealthy class (the one sociologists and government statisticians dare to associate with the upper class) use the services of top surgeons, barristers, investment bankers and the like. Some of those people use each other, but if you only use them, you are above the upper-middle stratum.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rozzo89
lol yeh it so dodge. She kinda scares me. And my god Ollie looks like Pocahuntus!

I think he looks strangely like Mel Gibson in the dressing-room stages of Braveheart.
This show has become one of my guilty pleasures...

I like Ollie :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 207
I think he looks strangely like Mel Gibson in the dressing-room stages of Braveheart.

mm yes I suppose he does slightly; his youtube video about male make-up makes me laugh.
Original post by Jar of Hearts
Her smiles so weird... she shows like all of her top and bottom teeth?!

and now i'm trying to smile with both top and bottom teeth..

I totally did this, then read what you had written ha!
Did anyone watch their interview on T4 this morning? It was so cringe. They kept treating them as if they were aliens and had 'challenges' such as opening a tin of beans and eating a cornish pasty to see if the cast were 'in touch' with reality and regular life.

It was actually so cringe/painful to watch, i was interested in the interview because I wanted to see if they behaved like there supposed selves or if they really were all fake characters but T4 completely ruined the interview for me.
Reply 211
I wanted to actually hate this show and now I can't stop watching it, bring on Monday nights. Slight thing for Hugo.
Reply 212
Original post by ipulledhermione
Did anyone watch their interview on T4 this morning? It was so cringe. They kept treating them as if they were aliens and had 'challenges' such as opening a tin of beans and eating a cornish pasty to see if the cast were 'in touch' with reality and regular life.

It was actually so cringe/painful to watch, i was interested in the interview because I wanted to see if they behaved like there supposed selves or if they really were all fake characters but T4 completely ruined the interview for me.

OhI missed this, what were they like and who was being interviewed :smile:?
Original post by tigermoth99
Saw an ad on E4 for this earlier. Looks interesting...like an upmarket version of The Only Way is Essex but with rahs. Could be funny or could turn out rubbish.

Anyone going to watch it?

Here's an article on it

It sounds complete dribble I think ...

Not as it is made by Simon Cowell but it sure represent's his type of trash on TV Today!!
Anybody else think the friendships seems extremely forced for the cameras :confused: The only genuine friendships seem to be between Spencer/Hugo. Caggie/Millie, and the Ollie and his posse.
Original post by Jesseecar123
Exactly as I expected then... Apart from those names, the only other place I've heard the name "Binky" is in Rugrats I think ha. Glad I didn't stick around to watch it :P

actually binky is from 'arthur' the cartoon :biggrin:
Original post by Junaid16
Anybody else think the friendships seems extremely forced for the cameras :confused: The only genuine friendships seem to be between Spencer/Hugo. Caggie/Millie, and the Ollie and his posse.

a little... I do like Caggie and Millie's friendship though :smile:
Original post by somebodytoldmexo
a little... I do like Caggie and Millie's friendship though :smile:

:yep: I don't think her and Spencer have a 'thing' for each other either.. they seem really awkward around each other, but you never know.
Original post by Junaid16
:yep: I don't think her and Spencer have a 'thing' for each other either.. they seem really awkward around each other, but you never know.

No that's what I thought, they seem so awkward! Then again, Spencer seems incredibly awkward around his own girlfriend!
Original post by somebodytoldmexo
No that's what I thought, they seem so awkward! Then again, Spencer seems incredibly awkward around his own girlfriend!

Apparently he's going out with Topshop owner Philip Green's daughter, but the show was filmed a while ago, so that may not cause too much suspicion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending