The Student Room Group

AS & A2 in one year...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Biology just seems to be reading out of the book, memorising stuff. Chemistry/Physics are much more broad in the way they test you.

Actually, Biology isn't just reading from a book. There are various experiments/dissections/tests to perform there too. when it came to the experimental sides of Chemistry and Physics, I excelled more. I don't mean to sound vain or like I'm bragging, but I'm actually pretty intelligent when I want to be. I could probably manage all 3 sciences if I really wanted to. I just find that my heart lies with Humanities & Social Sciences.

Sorry if my choice of A-Levels aren't 'good enough' or 'testing enough' by your standards :smile:
Original post by NaomiBridgeman
I honestly have nothing better to do than study for a year. My boyfriend will be in his final year of uni & I don't have much of a social life anyway so I actually wouldn't mind having something productive to fill my time with.

Hmm. Go for it, then. Fortunately AS will do much of itself if you're doing the A2s alongside them, and as you're doing arts subjects, much of the skills you'll need for each subject are quite congruent, so (I'd imagine) if you can develop a style which fits in with what examiners want, you have a good base for all of those A-levels. It's still a bloody lot to take on, though; good luck - you'll need it!
Original post by Tommyjw
Lol..

Your a silly fail of a person, you really are :smile:

Someones clearly not done science subjects.
Original post by Louise_x
Well you sounds pretty dedicated to it. As long as you don't slack off part way through the year, I'd imagine you could maybe manage. But yeah, talk to tutors about it first, they probably know better than TSR - especially seeing as they know your abilities.

The tutors don't really know my abilities either if I'm honest. I know I have the ability to do well if I really tried, I have enough people that have faith in me. I just needed some people's opinions and wanted to find out if it was manageable.
The tutors don't really know my abilities either if I'm honest. I know I have the ability to do well if I really tried, I have enough people that have faith in me. I just needed some people's opinions and wanted to find out if it was manageable.

They're fine if you want to be a teacher.
Reply 25
Someones clearly not done science subjects.

Physics, maths, business + law.

So.. two of both i'd say, so i think my opinion is perfectly fair.

I'd like proof you learn more in maths than you do in Law.. because it wasn't that way when i did it. and i'm only guessing here.. really.. it's only a guess, but i don't think the whole course content has changed this year.

Any more trolling you going to do? Because it's boring.
Original post by Tommyjw
Physics, maths, business + law.

So.. two of both i'd say, so i think my opinion is perfectly fair.

I'd like proof you learn more in maths than you do in Law.. because it wasn't that way when i did it. and i'm only guessing here.. really.. it's only a guess, but i don't think the whole course content has changed this year.

Any more trolling you going to do? Because it's boring.

Law is disregarded as an A-level apparently. Let me guess you did it all on Edexel.
Reply 27
Well I did English Lit/Lang, History and Business in one year, AS and A2. Found no real difficulties except for History but that was just the sheer volume of the stuff there was. [Cold War, French Rev, Russian Rev etc] Very doable though.

Go for it and All the Best. Btw if you're going CIE exams, always always ALWAYS check out their marking scheme and work from there. Essays are pretty easy once you've nailed down exactly what they're looking for. Its usually

Knowledge, Application (worth 30-35%) Analysis, Evaluation. (worth 65-70%)
Reply 28
Law is disregarded as an A-level apparently. Let me guess you did it all on Edexel.

According to who?

And don't remember :P But good job of you resorting to that.. very intelligent of you.. oh wait.. no it's not.
Original post by Tommyjw
According to who?

And don't remember :P But good job of you resorting to that.. very intelligent of you.. oh wait.. no it's not.

Various readings on TSR.

Its true, Edexcel are not very hard for science/maths.
Various readings on TSR.

I wouldn't know... all my science/maths exams were WJEC.
Would I be able to manage it? (If the college let me of course).
I want to do English Lit/Lang, History, Philosophy & Religious Studies.... would it be possible to sit both the AS and A2 in one year? I certainly have the ability to do it, no distractions etc. I'm just wondering whether or not it's a good idea? HELP.

i did it, not out of choice, i was ill in my as year

it was really hard as i was in normal a2 classes but without having learnt much of the as stuff.

i had 2 whole textiles projects to do and 2 french oral exams to learn, as well as all my as resits along with my normal a2 exams for my other subjects biology and maths

i had to drop french in the end because i couldn't cope with learning for both of the oral exams

i have never been so stressed in my life than i was in those 2 years, i wouldnt recommend it
Reply 32
Various readings on TSR.

'Readings' being? ..
Meh, i got my Offers from Birmingham and Warwick .. i'm happy with what my A-levels got me. Too bad i was just lazy ;D .

And yes i know in the general part is true.. i'm saying it's 'low' of you to assume that i did it on that particular exam board.
I wouldn't know... all my science/maths exams were WJEC.

Dont know much about that.
Would I be able to manage it? (If the college let me of course).
I want to do English Lit/Lang, History, Philosophy & Religious Studies.... would it be possible to sit both the AS and A2 in one year? I certainly have the ability to do it, no distractions etc. I'm just wondering whether or not it's a good idea? HELP.

You'd need to commit yourself a HELL of a lot
Original post by Tommyjw
Yep.
Questions with one possible answer are so much more easier than 40 marks question based upon two years of material to which the mark is also subjective in accordance to the person marking it, let alone having to use correct prose, grammar and spelling the whole way through whilst continuing to use the correct method (whether your analyzing, evaluation, comparing etc etc) to put forward all this information in a mark a minute.

Guess writing maths answers is harder than this.

Silly person.

I understand where you're coming from but the quotes poster has a point.

The point being that you can do well in essay subjects by being articulate and forming together good opinions, but obviously needing to know the content. But because the actual writing makes up such a big portion, doing well in many different exams is quite doable.

With sciences and maths you really need to know exactly what you're doing - know how to work various things out, facts and figures, laws, mechanisms and explanations of how things work etc etc.

I believe doing 24 modules of science/maths in one year would be waaaay too difficult because of the massive range of things you must learn.

Anyway that's just my point of view, this isn't to say I think Arts/Humanities aren't respectable A-levels, just probably easier to do lots of different topics with them than someone doing that for sciences (provided the person doing the arts is just as good at them as the person doing the sciences is good at sciences).
Original post by Tommyjw
'Readings' being? ..
Meh, i got my Offers from Birmingham and Warwick .. i'm happy with what my A-levels got me. Too bad i was just lazy ;D .

And yes i know in the general part is true.. i'm saying it's 'low' of you to assume that i did it on that particular exam board.

Why you mad though? If you neg me i'll only neg you back.
The amount of content you've got to learn for Chem/maths/physics is crazy compared to social sciences where you can just wing it.

Just wing it...? lol

have you ever done a social science subject at A-level?
Various readings on TSR.

Oh yes... i forgot that what people say on TSR is true...
Original post by hassi94
I understand where you're coming from but the quotes poster has a point.

The point being that you can do well in essay subjects by being articulate and forming together good opinions, but obviously needing to know the content. But because the actual writing makes up such a big portion, doing well in many different exams is quite doable.

With sciences and maths you really need to know exactly what you're doing - know how to work various things out, facts and figures, laws, mechanisms and explanations of how things work etc etc.

I believe doing 24 modules of science/maths in one year would be waaaay too difficult because of the massive range of things you must learn.

Anyway that's just my point of view, this isn't to say I think Arts/Humanities aren't respectable A-levels, just probably easier to do lots of different topics with them than someone doing that for sciences (provided the person doing the arts is just as good at them as the person doing the sciences is good at sciences).

See i'm right, atleast someone understands.

Quick Reply

Latest