The Student Room Group

Am I too old?!

Okay, I'm freaking out.. Have never looked upon myself as old, but now I do!! I will be 24 years old then, and it seems like everybody else is like 17 or 18. It's a bit scary.. and if that wasnt enough, I'm also a international student (from Sweden). I'm applying for journalism courses in the London area for next year.. Queen Mary, City and Goldsmith's are the top 3 on my list. Am I judged to be alienated in the UK? Am I too old to live in a hall? Help me, I'm on the edge of a nervous breakdown...! :eek:
Reply 1
hey dude, don't stress! first of all, you're not too old to fit in. fitting in just depends on your personality and making the effort to meet new people. i think mature students are those 25+ at the time they start their degree, so you may not get to live in halls but in london this really isn't a problem with so much student designed accommodation that is separate from the unis. and london is so multicultural that being an international student is no problem at all. people are generally openminded.
just quit stressing and look forward to it. good luck with your applications. xxx
Reply 2
gaia_a
hey dude, don't stress! first of all, you're not too old to fit in. fitting in just depends on your personality and making the effort to meet new people. i think mature students are those 25+ at the time they start their degree, so you may not get to live in halls but in london this really isn't a problem with so much student designed accommodation that is separate from the unis. and london is so multicultural that being an international student is no problem at all. people are generally openminded.
just quit stressing and look forward to it. good luck with your applications. xxx

no anyone 21 or over is considered as a mature student.
pah! your not old, i will be 29 when I start my access course, now thats old :smile:
Reply 4
I was 25 when I started my course :smile: You're not old at all lol.

As for halls, you still may be able to get a room there. Some unis have designated halls for postgrads and mature students, and I'm sure as an international student you'll get some extra consideration. If you're worried, call the universities.
There is a woman here in her 40's who lives in halls, also someone here who is 25 who lives in my block, she fits in fine.
You';re only as old as you feel :smile: A girl in my halls is 22 but she acts like she's about 60, and keeps going on about her age. So fi you do that then yes, you may end up getting left out a bit. But seriosuly don't worry about it, I also know a student in his mid-30s who's having the time of his life here :biggrin:
Reply 7
Thanks everybody! You have honestly made me feel better.. :biggrin: Wish you all the best, and perhaps I'll see some of you at Queen Mary's next year?

Maria xxx
Reply 8
I know people in their sixties and seventies at my uni. It's no big deal. You'll settle in fine.
Reply 9
by the way you're freaking out, its obvious youll fit in JUST FINE in a teenager dominated environment.. hehe, so dont worry
Reply 10
Someone in my home town graduated with a degree in fashion - in her 70s!!!!So no, you are not old! lol :p:
There was a girl on my corridor when I was 18 who was 22/23. She seemed like the rest of us when we all moved in and some of us were surprised she was 'so much' (not that much really) older than us...she didn't seem it...she came to uni like any other person and wasn't going to have her slightly older age stop her from getting the most out of university.

I'd suggest the same to the OP....oh and as you are also an international student, I'd suggest that you don't try to segregate yourself from UK students. That is the only problem I've ever come across from international students that they tend to stick together occasionally and keep out of other peoples ways. I'm ot sure if this was something conscious on their hand or whether they didn't feel or hadn't been made to feel welcome. The few international students I've known though have been great...so to international students I'd say make sure you mix and to UK students, I'd say make sure you try to make international students feel welcome. The mix of cultures and backgrounds is well worthwhile :biggrin:
Roger Kirk
There was a girl on my corridor when I was 18 who was 22/23. She seemed like the rest of us when we all moved in and some of us were surprised she was 'so much' (not that much really) older than us...she didn't seem it...she came to uni like any other person and wasn't going to have her slightly older age stop her from getting the most out of university.

^ha that sounds awful!! :biggrin:
I'm 39 this Oct and not starting Nursing until Sep 15 and can't wait age isn't anything but a state of mind lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending