The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Arsey
factor theorem and remainder theorem are basically the same thing

if / (x+a) sub in -a whatever the answer is, is the remainder, if this is zero then x+a is a factor.

Learn the box method for dividing, it is so much better than the long division method taught in the text book.

If you have trouble factorising quadratics, or cubics buy the 991es as this will do it for you.

box? is that the bus method or something diffferent

and thanks for the tips :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Arsey
factor theorem and remainder theorem are basically the same thing

if / (x+a) sub in -a whatever the answer is, is the remainder, if this is zero then x+a is a factor.

Learn the box method for dividing, it is so much better than the long division method taught in the text book.

If you have trouble factorising quadratics, or cubics buy the 991es as this will do it for you.

Hiyaa, thank you so much for the tips! :biggrin:

Just wanted to know whether this is the right 991es calc http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6705536.htm
thankkks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
yes but shop around, you will prob find it a bit cheaper.

The 991es is an awesome calc, I would recommend every A2 student having one.
Reply 23
Original post by sohail.s
box? is that the bus method or something diffferent

and thanks for the tips :smile:

it is quite difficult to explain without demonstrating, but basically you create and fill in a multiplication grid. It seems complex when you first try it but after a few goes you will never get it wrong again.
Reply 24
have a look at the attachment, seems complex but it really isn't.
Reply 25
Original post by Arsey
have a look at the attachment, seems complex but it really isn't.

cheers :smile: , i remember doing something similar when factorizing quadratics at gcse, think i'll stick to bus method as im competent with that and most questions are on this topic are usually early and easy ones
Reply 26
Original post by Cleoleo
Hiyaa, thank you so much for the tips! :biggrin:

Just wanted to know whether this is the right 991es calc http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6705536.htm
thankkks!

useful link

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Making_the_Most_of_your_Casio_fx-991ES_Calculator
Reply 27
That calculator :eek: I thought we weren't allowed to use calculators that can do differentiation and integration though?
Reply 28
Original post by mya369
That calculator :eek: I thought we weren't allowed to use calculators that can do differentiation and integration though?

You can't use a calculator which can do algebraic differentiation, etc. The calculator will allow you to plug in values and check that you've got the right answer.

This is going to be a godsend at the end, checking I haven't made silly mistakes. :bhangra:
Reply 29
Original post by Groat
You can't use a calculator which can do algebraic differentiation, etc. The calculator will allow you to plug in values and check that you've got the right answer.

This is going to be a godsend at the end, checking I haven't made silly mistakes. :bhangra:

But that's amazing! How can I not have known about this until now!? I have to get one...
Reply 30
but you have to remember the exam board are wise to it, if you don't so clear working you will not get the marks. It can be only used to check answers.
Original post by Arsey
Trig

This is the topic that causes most difficulty with candidates.

If you do not completely understand radians, simply do everything in degrees and then convert your final answer into radians (if required) by simply putting pi after each answer and dividing each answer by 180.

I personally do not like CAST method, I much prefer candidates to find other angles which satisfy the equation by sketching the graph of sin or cos.

Use your calc to find the first angle

if sin, subtract from 180 to find the second angle
if cos, subtract from 360 to find second angle

all other angles can be found by adding and subtracting multiples of 360 to these to initial angles.

tan is very easy to work with, just add and subtract multiples of 180

Thank You for clearing this up for me. The amount of times i get confused with this!!!

Original post by Arsey
but you have to remember the exam board are wise to it, if you don't so clear working you will not get the marks. It can be only used to check answers.

Where to buy instore????

Edit: Never mind, i'm off to Ryman to get it now. NUS Extra card(or UCAS) gets me 12.5% off. £15.99*0.875 = £13.99
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
WOW, you are awesome! Thanks so much for the help! (I can't believe how late I am to not have come across you). That calculator seems awesome! I always make silly mistakes for integration and stuff lol. :smile:
Reply 33
Hello! The exam is ever so close, but if you ever need to brush up on some topics, i have a maths a level channel on youtube :smile:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MathStudentTeacher
its kinda new so im open to requests :smile:
Reply 34
I have added Jan 09 model solutions to post #4
Reply 35
Love your YouTube channel,
Can you do questions like 5sin2x=2cos2x and we have to find all values upto 360...
Also any other similar questions you can get on taut section
Thanks alot mate!!
Reply 36
Hi :smile:
Just wanted to know, are we given the formulas of how to work out volume/surface area of a cone/sphere/cuboid/cylinder etc or do we have to learn it??
Reply 37
Learn them

you only get s.a. of a sphere and area of the curved surface of a cone
Reply 38
wich ones could come up ?
Volume/Surface Area of cone, sphere, cuboid, cylinder... any others ?
Original post by Mariam8
wich ones could come up ?
Volume/Surface Area of cone, sphere, cuboid, cylinder... any others ?

All those could come up

Essentially the formulae booklet only lists

Cosine Rule is given, however the Sine Rule we're expected to know.
Trapezium Rule
Geometric Series
Binomial Series
Simple Log rule - we have to know the rest of the rules.

There many more things to learn such as the Trigonometric ratios.

Latest

Trending

Trending