The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ohh yeahh i dint mean that tho.. i meant the q's were they ask u to show the surface area of volume.. but thanks anywy :smile: btw we dont need 2 learn the table do we.. cos we can work it out on the calc.. right ?
Original post by Mariam8
ohh yeahh i dint mean that tho.. i meant the q's were they ask u to show the surface area of volume.. but thanks anywy :smile: btw we dont need 2 learn the table do we.. cos we can work it out on the calc.. right ?

Yes, but it can be easy to recognise in questions if you know it :smile:

Are you confident with making sure you're in Radian mode when the question asks for the answer in Radians? It's quite common for people to answer those questions in Degree mode.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Yeah i always 4get to check that.. do u no wich other area's/ volume we should know ?
Original post by Mariam8
Yeah i always 4get to check that.. do u no wich other area's/ volume we should know ?

Make sure you know how to do the questions in radians when it asks for radians.

A good understanding of these is vital for a higher grade.

Sine Rule
Area of a Triangle = 1/2 ab sin C
Logarithms
- The Multiplication Law
- The Division Law
- The Power Law
Only the the change of base rules for logarithms is given in the formula booklet
Area of a sector is A= 1/2r^2 theta
Know the tan = sin/cos and sin2 + cos2 = 1
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Apparently Edexcel were told their exams were too predictable.

I'd just suggest going as far back as possible with past papers!
(edited 12 years ago)
Remember, you cannot say anything at all about the contents of today's exams until midnight.
Reply 46
Original post by DFranklin
Remember, you cannot say anything at all about the contents of today's exams until midnight.

EDIT never mind just saw what you was referring to..
Original post by Groat
Apparently Edexcel were told their exams were too predictable.

I'd just suggest going as far back as possible with past papers!

Do you intend to do the Solomon Papers? Also are the Solomon Papers as difficult as some people say?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by intellectual1
Do you intend to do the Solomon Papers? Also are the Solomon Papers harder?

The Solomon Papers get you thinking about questions in different ways, so I'd definitely suggest them.
It's clear from the examiner reports that Trigonometry, Logarithms and the more challenging Differentiation/Integration questions cause the most difficulty for people. Are you confident with those chapters in the textbook?
Reply 50
It's clear from the examiner reports that Trigonometry, Logarithms and the more challenging Differentiation/Integration questions cause the most difficulty for people. Are you confident with those chapters in the textbook?

Yes! Trigonometry questions look difficult, but drawing a diagram sorts that out in no time. Logarithms I quite enjoy and I don't have any problems with differentiation.

Here's to hoping C2 is a nice exam. :colone:
Reply 51
intellectual1 the solomon papers are definately harder. The whole point of them is just so that you can have questions given that are all harder than what you would actually be given. So they will give you the hardest it can get with logarithms, the hardest it can get with integration, diffrentiation, trig etc..
the reason for that is because if you can confidently do those with high marks then you can definately do the real thing. Because solomon is the hardest questions that you'll get on each topic, so if you can do those, then you can do whatever edexcel is gonna give you.

However, it can be a bad thing too. Some people do get demotivated by if they can not do the questions in the solomon papers. If that does happen to anyone. Then just stick to the edexcel ones. These are just if you find what edexcel gives TOO easy and you want to make sure you can do the harder questions. If you're not one of those people that finds what edexcel TOO easy, then you're better off sticking to edexcel papers and making sure you can do every question they've given in a past exam paper.
Original post by m1a1tank
intellectual1 the solomon papers are definately harder. The whole point of them is just so that you can have questions given that are all harder than what you would actually be given. So they will give you the hardest it can get with logarithms, the hardest it can get with integration, diffrentiation, trig etc..
the reason for that is because if you can confidently do those with high marks then you can definately do the real thing. Because solomon is the hardest questions that you'll get on each topic, so if you can do those, then you can do whatever edexcel is gonna give you.

However, it can be a bad thing too. Some people do get demotivated by if they can not do the questions in the solomon papers. If that does happen to anyone. Then just stick to the edexcel ones. These are just if you find what edexcel gives TOO easy and you want to make sure you can do the harder questions. If you're not one of those people that finds what edexcel TOO easy, then you're better off sticking to edexcel papers and making sure you can do every question they've given in a past exam paper.

You're quite right, but if you can do the Solomons you can do the harder questions. Every UMS mark matters especially with the A*AA offers set to become the norm for alot of top degree courses/universities. At A-Level, Maths nationally gains the greatest number of A*/A/B grades, strange but true.
It's quite clear 1 radian = 180 degrees/ Pi Can someone clarify how to use your calculator in Radian mode?
This seems to explain Radians pretty well indeed! :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rml7YFs98tU
Reply 55
It's quite clear 1 radian = 180 degrees/ Pi Can someone clarify how to use your calculator in Radian mode?

assuming you have a casio

Shift --> Mode --> You should see a list of options, 4 is usually radians
subscribed
Reply 57
These threads are great. :smile:

Planning on 2h30 of C2 revision tomorrow, 1 past paper plus an hour to go through any topics I didn't understand.
you guys have a whole month to revise???

we had to do both c1 and c2 today

if i had another month!
Reply 59
C2 Edexcel is Thu 26th May

Latest