The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL engineering

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ill start prob. in sept. what offers have u got?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
xch
OP
Original post by CapsLocke
there are much better places than UCL for engineering.

Do you want to explain?

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Electrical+%26+Electronic+Engineering

This link shows how the EEE department of UCL will be ranked in 2012 and it goes from 9th to 2nd.
Original post by xch
Do you want to explain?

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Electrical+%26+Electronic+Engineering

This link shows how the EEE department of UCL will be ranked in 2012 and it goes from 9th to 2nd.

Sorry I was bit vague, when I meant engineering I meant Mechanical / Aero / Civil / Chemical.
I don't know anything about their EEE department, but generally there are a lot of universities that are more renowned for their engineering departments. Places like Southampton, Bristol, Nottingham, Bath, Loughborough and the list keeps on going.

Don't be fooled by the prestige of the university and the high entry requirements that put because of their prestige.
Reply 23
Original post by CapsLocke
Sorry I was bit vague, when I meant engineering I meant Mechanical / Aero / Civil / Chemical.
I don't know anything about their EEE department, but generally there are a lot of universities that are more renowned for their engineering departments. Places like Southampton, Bristol, Nottingham, Bath, Loughborough and the list keeps on going.

Don't be fooled by the prestige of the university and the high entry requirements that put because of their prestige.

u got any idea of which of the two universities (sheffield or Nottingham) is good for civil Engineering? Sheffield has higher entry requirements than Nottingham. I'm not sure which one to firm. I have seen both and both are okay. so any ideas appreciated
Reply 24
xch
OP
Original post by Flint_09
u got any idea of which of the two universities (sheffield or Nottingham) is good for civil Engineering? Sheffield has higher entry requirements than Nottingham. I'm not sure which one to firm. I have seen both and both are okay. so any ideas appreciated

take a look at this link maybe it helps u decide:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-engineering-civil-
Original post by xch
Do you want to explain?

Sort that table by STUDENT SATISFACTION or GRADUATE PROSPECTS and see what happens!!!

You should realise that league tables are not reliable, the dept could go from 9th to 2nd then back to 9th!!! and could also find that many other league tables have rated the UCL dept a lot lower than that particular table.

You don't need a table to know that there is NO WAY UCL can be better than SOTON for EEE
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by chaz1992
The uni is in the perfect location for me. The EEE course was very good. It was clear from the moment I went that there were a series of expansions and projects going on to boost the EEE department. During one of my lunch breaks, I asked a student who was helping to organise the event where the mechanical engineering department was and he said that that's where I would be in the afternoon for some of my sessions, so I waited. When I finally got to it, I was disappointed. It was hidden away (even the phD student got lost trying to find it) and when we got there it was plain to see that it was lifeless in comparison to the EEE department. There was no one there and the place should be refurnished imo.

Everything there seemed a bit outdated. When the session started, which they changed from what we were meant to be doing (as the IT room in the mech eng department was locked and they couldn't find anyone with keys), they instead decided to put us into two big groups and set off on tours around the department. It took 10 minutes for the guy showing us around to show us all the lecture rooms (I was surprised how they either didn't have a room with machines in or didn't show it to us) and took us straight out of the uni and started giving us a one hour tour of the gym.

If you ask me, their entrance requirements of AAB were simply based on the reputation of UCL in general rather than the reputation of the department. Warwick have the same entrance requirements and seemed much better in terms of facilities, however, that's just for mechanical engineering. EEE was better at UCL than warwick.

Original post by rcm
any EEE engineering ppl starting this fall?

I'm a 1st year (goin to 2nd) EEE student @ ucl. Lemme know if you have any q's about the course/department/ucl etc.
Reply 27
Original post by wizz_kid
I'm a 1st year (goin to 2nd) EEE student @ ucl. Lemme know if you have any q's about the course/department/ucl etc.

Wanted a feeback on EEE in UCL
Reply 28
Which one is better for EEE .. UCL or southampton
Just finished first year at UCL for mech eng. Let me know if you have any questions about the dept. and i'll answer to the best of my ability
Reply 30
Original post by sosasays
Just finished first year at UCL for mech eng. Let me know if you have any questions about the dept. and i'll answer to the best of my ability

Was the department as bad as a lot of people have said? How about the lecture sizes? Do you think you have enough contact time with the tutors?

I'm going to do Biomedical Engineering and a handful of the modules are taught by the Mechanical Engineering department so i'm a bit curious.
Original post by MAS98
Was the department as bad as a lot of people have said? How about the lecture sizes? Do you think you have enough contact time with the tutors?

I'm going to do Biomedical Engineering and a handful of the modules are taught by the Mechanical Engineering department so i'm a bit curious.

* No, it really isn't bad. It's a bit disorganized and that can be frustrating at times. Lecture sizes were about 160 at the start of the year but apparently quite a few people drop out and a few others fail according to 2nd and 3rd years. It's quite a challenging course. Umm you get a lot of lectures that's for sure (more than you can be bothered to turn up to). Also all the lecturers have office hours with some just being like 'If you have a problem just knock on my door and we'll find a time to meet'. I actually never bothered to make use of those so I don't know whether they are sufficient or not.**Fairs, what modules? I only remember seeing Biomed engineers in our Math modules, IEP and DAPs modules. Those are faculty run and you'll get frustrated with some of them as they may/may not anything to do with your actual course. However IEP and DAPs are 100% coursework so my best advice is to smash them giving you peace of mind come actual exams haha.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
* No, it really isn't bad. It's a bit disorganized and that can be frustrating at times. Lecture sizes were about 160 at the start of the year but apparently quite a few people drop out and a few others fail according to 2nd and 3rd years. It's quite a challenging course. Umm you get a lot of lectures that's for sure (more than you can be bothered to turn up to). Also all the lecturers have office hours with some just being like 'If you have a problem just knock on my door and we'll find a time to meet'. I actually never bothered to make use of those so I don't know whether they are sufficient or not.**Fairs, what modules? I only remember seeing Biomed engineers in our Math modules, IEP and DAPs modules. Those are faculty run and you'll get frustrated with some of them as they may/may not anything to do with your actual course. However IEP and DAPs are 100% coursework so my best advice is to smash them giving you peace of mind come actual exams haha.*

Ah alright. The Mechanical Engineering department handles three to four modules in the second and third year of the course (I think they're Biofluids and Solid Biomechanics or a similar name). But thanks for the heads up on the math modules HAHA. If you don't mind me asking, how was your timetable structure like? (How many and what hours of lectures per day etc).
Original post by MAS98
Ah alright. The Mechanical Engineering department handles three to four modules in the second and third year of the course (I think they're Biofluids and Solid Biomechanics or a similar name). But thanks for the heads up on the math modules HAHA. If you don't mind me asking, how was your timetable structure like? (How many and what hours of lectures per day etc).

Fairs, didn't know that. Those might be optional modules for us. Each lecture for mech eng is 2 hours. I had lectures everyday Mon - Fri. Other than medics and architects at UCL that's not really the norm for 1st years. On average 2 lectures a day. So that's 4 hours in uni a day maybe 6. But we've got no tutorials unlike other courses. It's not so much about the number of lectures, but more about the workload required outside lecture halls which is quite a lot. Do not expect a lot of free time. Just enough haha
Fairs, didn't know that. Those might be optional modules for us. Each lecture for mech eng is 2 hours. I had lectures everyday Mon - Fri. Other than medics and architects at UCL that's not really the norm for 1st years. On average 2 lectures a day. So that's 4 hours in uni a day maybe 6. But we've got no tutorials unlike other courses. It's not so much about the number of lectures, but more about the workload required outside lecture halls which is quite a lot. Do not expect a lot of free time. Just enough haha

Hi, i presume you just finished your 2nd year at UCL and I want to ask how good is UCL Mech Eng now ? they did really well on this year league table ( number 9 UK ) so I think there must have been improvement :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending