The Student Room Group

Why is student satisfaction so low for manchester???

Okay, so on all the league tables and on unistats it shows a REALLY low student satisfaction for manchester for psychology. I was just wondering if there were any psychology students are at manchester who can elaborate on why it is so low or if the department has done anything to try and solve the things that the students don't like.

its just, to me, student satisfaction is quite important... and I also don't like being around really 'negative' people, so i want to know if there's a reason behind it or just people being annoyingly grumpy...

thanks XD
Reply 1
bump
My sister studied Psychology at Manchester, and she hasn't really mentioned anything negative about the place, always positive. :smile:

Maybe the people who take the survey on student satisfaction are just bitter students who failed their degree and instead of blaming themselves blamed the university.
Reply 3
Original post by Wick3d
My sister studied Psychology at Manchester, and she hasn't really mentioned anything negative about the place, always positive. :smile:

Maybe the people who take the survey on student satisfaction are just bitter students who failed their degree and instead of blaming themselves blamed the university.

As far as I know, the student satisfaction survey is taken BEFORE the students complete their degree- there were posters up everywhere about it a month or so ago, I think. So they wouldn't know whether or not they had failed at the time of taking the survey.
Manchester pride themselves on not spoon feeding their students - it could be that the students feel they aren't getting enough support from tutors or something and have to do most of the work on their own. It's just a suggestion but may not be true, the only way you can really know for sure is if you ask everyone! A friend of mine in first year says that this is the case anyway.
Manchester Uni is spread all around Central Manchester. It doesn't have the same 'campus' feel to it as many other universities and maybe that could be an explanation. its the smae with the Manchester Met also.
Reply 6
I've been told it is because students are pretty much left to their own devices, one of my friends when she emailed her academic adviser asking a question was given this answer...'do birds fly'?
Reply 7
Because its a big ass uni
Reply 8
This is the same for Civil Engineering, wondering if it's to do with the uni rather than the specific courses.

Quick Reply

Latest