Think size ten is fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by StressReliever
And god forbid she has hips and a booty to go with those boobs :eek:

I mean she might look like Selma Hayek or something....how repulsive :tongue:

5ft 2, US size 2 which is a UK size 6, and she's hardly a twig
Original post by a_t
you're talking nonsense short girls can be a UK size 4 and be quite healthy, lol at curvy, if curvy means fat you might have a good point

they aren't gonna take her up to a size 10 are they :rolleyes:

You're really clutching at straws trying to go for an absolute extreme body type which most likely doesn't even exist!

Size 4 is small for any female no matter what height. Even most short girls would probably would have to be around 90lb (or less) to be a size 4.

P.S. Size 10 is a 34 inch bust, which could be a size 6 girl with a 26FF or 28F bra size.
Reply 82
Original post by Mess.
American 12 is UK 16 isn't it :beard:

Yes, but I allowed for a change in sizes over the years by the advice of a textiles teacher. :tongue:
Original post by a_t
5ft 2, US size 2 which is a UK size 6, and she's hardly a twig

With measurements 36-25-37 (as stated in celebrity sleuth magazine), sorry but that's no UK size 6 love :wink:

Maybe you should stop talking now.
Original post by a_t
you're talking nonsense short girls can be a UK size 4 and be quite healthy, lol at curvy, if curvy means fat you might have a good point

Size 10 is not just based on body fat you know. You can be a size 10 if you have broad shoulders, hips or muscle, none of which are attributed to body fat. And sorry, but I completely disagree. I've never met a size 4 who looks in the slightest bit healthy, no matter how short they are.

I'm afraid it's you who's talking nonsense.

Original post by gingerrama
So you meant curvy in the "polite way of saying a bit chubby" sense? Fair enough

No, I meant curvy in the Kim Kardashian sense.

Someone who's size 12 and 5' might be a 'bit chubby', by my definition, although obviously it depends heavily on body shape etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
The average UK size is a size 12 - 14, although today someone actually told be it's now gone up to a size 16. Now personally I don't think a size 16 is exactly a healthy size.
But a size 10 is deffinately not fat, a size 10 to 12 is classed as the perfect size! A woman needs a figure! A bloke would much prefer a woman with breasts, a waist, a bum and a nice pair of legs! No, I'm not saying flat chested girls, or really skinny girls, aren't attractive, but in honesty, I've never met a guy who has been attracted to a girl without a figure... a girl needs curves, and curves does NOT mean fat.
The media have made women/girls believe they should be stick thin, petite little figures! But 98% of those images we see are photo shopped to make the women smaller than they are, to smooth the edges and to give them perfect bodies! Bodies which aren't realistic.
No, I'm not encouraging obesity, but realistically as long as you can still see your own feet, so long as you get exercise and you don't get out of breath walking up and down the stairs, then don't worry too much.
As long as YOU are happy when you look in the mirror, and so long as YOU are healthy. Then don't worry.

But to answer your question, NO a UK size 10, or even a US size 10, is NOT fat.
Reply 86
Original post by StressReliever
With measurements 36-25-37 (as stated in celebrity sleuth magazine), sorry but that's no UK size 6 love :wink:

Maybe you should stop talking now.

google disagrees with you :colonhash:

Original post by Rascacielos
Size 10 is not just based on body fat you know. You can be a size 10 if you have broad shoulders, hips or muscle, none of which are attributed to body fat. And sorry, but I completely disagree. I've never met a size 4 who looks in the slightest bit healthy, no matter how short they are.

I think it's you that's talking nonsense.

awww **** i just got told!
Original post by a_t

Yes. Quite easily. As I said, big boobs, or broad shoulders or whatever can easily add one or two sizes to what size a girl is.
That, added to the fact that sizes vary so much mean that someone can easily be a size 10, be short and still not be fat.

Again, I will ask you this.
Since sizes between shops can vary so much, someone can easily "go up" two sizes by just going to a different shop! Can you now see how stupid the whole size debate is?
Original post by a_t

awww **** i just got told!

Yes, you did.

IRL, as in according to high street sizes, I think you'll find that she is more along the lines of a size 16/18 unless she wears disgustingly tight clothes.

Original post by WelshBluebird
Since sizes between shops can vary so much, someone can easily "go up" two sizes by just going to a different shop! Can you now see how stupid the whole size debate is?

Well said. One of the only males I've found on TSR who has a clue about female sizing.... :cool:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Ilora-Danon
Vintage clothes sizes are NOT comparable to today's sizes. Her measurements would suggest she would be a modern size 6-8, a 10 during her plumper years.

Women are not built like Marilyn Monroe anymore - genetically and evolutionary; we are bigger and wider and our waists are on average, 2 inches larger than women of the 40's and 50's.

To suggest that a modern size 10 is "fat" is ludicrous, end of.

You're talking out of your arse. If they're larger it's because women are fatter, NOT because of evolution or genetics. 40s/50s is one or two generations ago, evolution does not happen that quickly.
Original post by kerily
:facepalm2:

As someone who's a size 10-18 (I kid you not. I have a variety of clothes in all of these sizes which fit fine. Some from the same shops) but most usually a 12-14, it's intensely depressing to be told that obviously I'm a mammoth who deviates from some sort of beauty ideal and whose size needs excusing. I exercise, I eat as healthily as my blood sugar condition allows, and I'm 5'8. My BMI tells me that I'm a perfectly healthy weight, I've not had problems getting into relationships with the people I've wanted to get into relationships with, and I can wear the clothes that I want to wear. But no. Apparently I'm a large enough size that either people have to say 'wow your size is huge' or, slightly more subtly, to create endless threads like this one telling me that my size is fine and I shouldn't be ashamed, thus insinuating that they expect me to hate my body and to be ashamed.

/rant

Also, Marilyn Monroe wasn't a size 14. I'm not sure that everyone thinks she's the most beautiful woman to ever have lived either.

Agree with absolutely evey word (except the height -I'm 6ft :smile: )
Original post by Mess.
American 12 is UK 16 isn't it :beard:

An American 12, is a UK 14.

All the info you'll need is here:
http://www.frenchfriends.info/practical-travel/clothing-size-conversions
Reply 92
Original post by make-cookies-not-war
Agree with absolutely evey word (except the height -I'm 6ft :smile: )

I always wanted to be that tall! My aunt is, and while I know it's so inconvenient, it must be fantastic to be taller than everyone :biggrin:

Glad to have written something which people agree with though :smile:
Original post by Rascacielos
I've never met a size 4 who looks in the slightest bit healthy, no matter how short they are.

Depends on what you're definition of healthy is? To me the average size 14 girl can just as often look unhealthy.
Original post by Vikki1805
An American 12, is a UK 14.

Nope it's a 16.
is size ten fat..I'm going to be compeletely and utterly brutal here and say yes yes it is...I'm joking I'm a 14 myself. no it's not fat certain parts of the body are different sizes so like in my case hips- 40 chest 44, waist 30. i never what size i am
Original post by Nomes89
Depends on what you're definition of healthy is? To me the average size 14 girl can just as often look unhealthy.

Being able to see their ribs/hip bones, for example. But by general medical definition of unhealthy (i.e. BMI and body fat %), I don't think many size 4s would be considered within the 'healthy' range.
You know what? I am not scared to admit that I wear a size 16 top. With the size of my breasts, it is impossible to wear anything smaller without it straining the top or painfully squashing my boobs down. I don't think that makes me fat, I just think it makes me sensible for not wearing something smaller that would look ridiculous around the chest area even if it does fit me everywhere else.

I eat healthily and I exercise often. I really don't think that dress size should be a deciding factor of whether someone is fat or not.
Isn't an American size 12 a UK size 16?? They're usually two even sizes bigger
And size measurements change over time - a UK 10 today used to be a 12/14 about 30-50 years ago
So today, she'd be a 10/12 in the UK

And a lot of people are a certain size but look something completely different! I mean I can fit into UK size 8's and clothes from the kids sections at some stores but I'm between a 10 and 12 -I made my own size 11 :tongue:

Theoretically, I'd regard UK size 16+ 'big' but it all depends on how much excess fat you've got
Original post by Nomes89
Nope it's a 16.

No, an American 12 is a UK 14.

Quick Reply

Latest