The Student Room Group

Logarithms C2 help

Untitled.jpg click to enlarge<----------------i want to know how did they come up with final answer
Reply 1
Basically what it's saying that 8 can be written as 2 to the power of 3, and 4 can be written as 2 to the power of 2. They are now both of the same base (2, that is) so any power on either side must be the same too (as they are simultaneous equations) You just multiply out the brackets of the powers and get rid of the base 2.
Reply 2
Original post by Evanesyne
Basically what it's saying that 8 can be written as 2 to the power of 3, and 4 can be written as 2 to the power of 2. They are now both of the same base (2, that is) so any power on either side must be the same too (as they are simultaneous equations) You just multiply out the brackets of the powers and get rid of the base 2.

how did the 2s disappear though
Reply 3
Original post by sucess
how did the 2s disappear though

since the bases become the same i.e they are 2 on both sides you can cancel them out
They are the same bases so they disappear.

x^y=x^z

then y=z
Reply 5
Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
They are the same bases so they disappear.

x^y=x^z

then y=z

how do they cancel out
Original post by sucess
how do they cancel out

They cancel out because both sides must be equal.

In your question both sides involve 2 to the power of something. Seeing as 2=2 then the powers must also be equal (because both sides are equal) leaving you with just the powers of one side being equal to the powers of the other side (as they must have the same effect on 2, because, again the two sides are equal).

Sounds like im repeating myself a lot, i know, but its hard not to- theres no other way really to explain this to you as its just a single simple step. I'm sure it'll make sense to you if you just think a little more on it.

If for example the last line but 1 had been
43y=22(2x+3) 4^{3y}=2^{2(2x+3)} then you couldn't have simply canceled 4 and 2 out to give
3y=4x+6 3y=4x+6 Instead, you would have to write 4 in powers of 2
(22) (2^2) so your solution would have looked like:
(22)3y=22(2x+3)[br](2)6y=22(2x+3) (2^2)^{3y}=2^{2(2x+3)} [br] (2)^{6y}=2^{2(2x+3)}
and THEN you could cancel the bases on either side (seeing as they are now both two) to give 6y=4x+6. 6y=4x+6.

Hope this clarifies your problem a bit...

EDIT: SORRY BEAR WITH ME- FIRST TIME USING LATEX AND HAVING SOME PROBLEMS
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by In One Ear
They cancel out because both sides must be equal.

In your question both sides involve 2 to the power of something. Seeing as 2=2 then the powers must also be equal (because both sides are equal) leaving you with just the powers of one side being equal to the powers of the other side (as they must have the same effect on 2, because, again the two sides are equal).

Sounds like im repeating myself a lot, i know, but its hard not to- theres no other way really to explain this to you as its just a single simple step. I'm sure it'll make sense to you if you just think a little more on it.

If for example the last line but 1 had been
43y=22(2x+3) 4^{3y}=2^{2(2x+3)} then you couldn't have simply canceled 4 and 2 out to give
3y=4x+6 3y=4x+6 Instead, you would have to write 4 in powers of 2
(22) (2^2) so your solution would have looked like:
(22)3y=22(2x+3)[br](2)6y=22(2x+3) (2^2)^{3y}=2^{2(2x+3)} [br] (2)^{6y}=2^{2(2x+3)}
and THEN you could cancel the bases on either side (seeing as they are now both two) to give 6y=4x+6. 6y=4x+6.

Hope this clarifies your problem a bit...

EDIT: SORRY BEAR WITH ME- FIRST TIME USING LATEX AND HAVING SOME PROBLEMS

thank you but could you explain how they cancel
Is it me, or is there a weird smell in here?
Reply 9
Original post by sucess
thank you but could you explain how they cancel

Because the two sides must be equal

therefor for X^Y=X^Z

Y=Z

or they wouldn't equal each other
Reply 10
Check "Logarithmic identities" in the wikipedia article about "Logarithm". The power rule especially.

8^y = 4^(2x+3) <=>
2^(3y) = 2^(4x+6) <=>
ln(2^(3y)) = ln(2^(4x+6)) <=> (use the power rule for logarithms in next step)
3y * ln(2) = 4x+6 * ln(2) <=>
3y = 4x+6
Reply 11
Original post by PioTr89
Check "Logarithmic identities" in the wikipedia article about "Logarithm". The power rule especially.

8^y = 4^(2x+3) <=>
2^(3y) = 2^(4x+6) <=>
ln(2^(3y)) = ln(2^(4x+6)) <=> (use the power rule for logarithms in next step)
3y * ln(2) = 4x+6 * ln(2) <=>
3y = 4x+6

cant believe i didnt see that thanks

Quick Reply

Latest