The Student Room Group

AQA HIS3J The State and The People: Britain: 1918-1964

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I use themes if i can , bit it isn't always applicable. I would only suggest categorising your analysis in terms of social, economic, political etc if you are confident doing so , because it can just be a mess.
Historical debate is again more relevant to some questions than others, but more often than not comments about how analyses will be affected by political disposition etc are fine to weave into your answer.
Reply 21
Original post by James_B123
Just me doing Britain then :tongue:

Original post by harrietdaisy
Hi, I'm doing this topic too.
Don't know whether you are able to get a log in for History Today but if you search for the topics on that you can find some great articles.

It's also worth going on the AQA website and getting hold of the scheme of work (Under Teacher Resource Bank, Unit 3, The State and the People:Britain 1918-1964) for a really comprehensive list of what you need to know.

We can keep this going though, I'll post on anything useful that I find :smile:

Any updates on possible questions etc ?
Reply 22
I can't give you any insider tips as it were but I (and my teacher) would still expect something on DLG, or at the very least a gimme (something very doable) for the reasons I we thought (it's still a young syllabus).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Labour in some form, because there is the neat period for them which could form the synoptic q.

He did say AQA were trying to give nothing away but if they did do a "dodgy" question the other two would be answerable and more straight forward.

He, like me, doesn't really like the after-war stuff because it just seems to be plonked on the end just for the sake of it. :tongue:

Not really much I can add though. Just down to revision and maybe a little bit of luck...

How has anyone else done their revision? Have you done much are are you relying on some pre-test cramming?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Good stuff.
I've been revising the course as it has gone along really. Planning on doing some serious revision this week, with the focus on Labour i think. Just general note taking and essay plans. Very nervous ha.
Hi,
I was wondering how much have people been taught about the 'social' side of the unit. My teacher has focused much more on the political side and the only social stuff we've done is housing. If there are any key things people think i should know PLEASE share.
Also, does anyone have any good pieces of controversial historical debate to argue against, i can't find any.
Thanks in advance
Not a lot to be honest, we've focused quite a lot on the political side. However, a massive social topic is the Depression of the 30s so I'd definitely make sure you look at that. And of course the creation of the Welfare state, but you've probably covered that in a political sense too.

Does anyone have a list of possible type essay questions? With such limited past papers etc. I wondered whether anyone had a list of possibles?
Reply 26
I have a list of old questions from the old specification (can't find it on the internet) so I'll try to find it sometime tonight.

I know it used to be 5 questions per paper though, and DLG was pretty popular.

I'd be amazed if there wasn't an economy/depression question (inter war years) thinking even more about it. And as last year's exam had 2 q's on the Tories I'd also be surprised if there wasn't a question on Labour.

Here's me sounding like I know :biggrin:
Oooo. Thank you :smile: That would be really helpful.
Reply 28
I won't type them all (at least not yet) because there's about 50 of them. The wording may be slightly changed in the new spec, but the stuff is the same. They're all 20 markers though. I might try to scan most of them but here is a past specimen paper:

"The decline of the Liberal party during the inter war period was caused principally by the emergence of the Labour party as a more relevant and attractive alternative to the Conservatives."
With to this, and using your own knowledge, assess the validity of this view in the context of other explanations of the decline of the Liberal party in this period.

--

"Lloyd George lost office in 1922 because he had been unable to adapt to a reduction in his power from leading a wartime Coalition Government in control of all key aspects of national life to becoming a peacetime PM"
How valid is this judgement?

--

To what extent were changes in the leisure activities of British people in the inter war years caused more by technological advances than by changes in cultural and moral attitudes?

--

"Throughout the 1930s the British economy was plunged into depression with high unemployment and much suffering amongst its victims."
How accurate is this judgement about the economy and the social consequences?

--

How successful, both socially and politically, were the Labour governments of 1949-51 in improving both the health and housing of the people?
Thanks! Those are really helpful. They all look alright actually, except for that middle one about leisure activities - :|. I actually need to revise those little areas like the changes in leisure activities and the impact of both the wars - we focused so much on the political aspects I forgot they were even there!
Reply 30
Yeah I probably would start crying if they gave us something like that.

I might scan the rest later today if someone wants them.
If you could that would be really helpful! And I would definitely cry - or hope and pray that the other two questions were lovely.
Reply 33
Massive thanks for the questions.
I am in the same boat as you guys in regard to questions focusing on the social side such as leisure etc, i think teachers seem to have neglected this, hopefully for a reason.
Also, reading the questions, i haven't focused much on the liberals either.I think the only question they could ask us about them would be on their decline, but still my knowledge would be a bit here and there.
I'm still sticking with inter-war economy and Labour focus ha,but what do i know.
Reply 34
The only social things I can think of anyway is the vote for women and then the likes of the BBC/radio (which could be tied in with new industries I guess) and then there's a big jump to Labour with the Beveridge report, the NHS, housing and the new towns act. You could maybe blag it a bit by talking about higher wages and shorter hours but I'd still try to avoid it.

I think any question on the Liberals would be overwhelmingly focussed on DLG (and he seems to be popular with AQA so it wouldn't surprise me to see another on him). And I'm hoping for an inter-war Labour q (economy?).

It's coming around fast though. Only just over a week to go!! :s-smilie:
Reply 35
Petrifying ha.
My money is on a 1930's economy question, not a lot they can ask about there.
And a labour question, i don't think they would ask about them being 'fit to govern' in their first term as it seems too narrow and too predictable. So maybe a labour question would focus on Labour 1945-1951 perhaps. And then for the breadth i've no idea, that could be anything. That is what i'm hoping/praying/thinking realistically the questions might be.
Reply 36
Maybe a Labour synoptic q on how they failed to grasp authority in the 10 years they governed? That would be inter-war and Labour and would leave a straight q on the Tories post-war.

Because the Tories dominate this period so much it'd pretty much nailed on there will be some sort of q on them.
Reply 37
Yeah i agree, 1 of the questions has surely got to be Tory focused.
Part of me just wants to do this exam now and get it done with !
By the way, has anyone got any information on Education policies in the 1930's ? It is listed on the scheme of work but i have never been given anything about it.
(edited 12 years ago)
My teacher said he would bet money on a Labour question, as it has not come up on this new syllabus!

And thanks for the scans - very helpful!
Reply 39
Yeah I think I'll focus on Labour, and the post-war years.

Hopefully because it'd be the first Labour q, they'd make it a straight, easy question.

But then I'm also hoping for a question on economic recovery in the 30s. But I doubt they'd be that kind...

Quick Reply